Thanks for private guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I got THE CALL from the med school admissions committee. I'm in. Miracle of miracles. The admissions director made reference to my 10+ years as a CRNA as being a large brownie point which overcame some freshman-year potholes from several decades ago.

Thanks to all the private advice I received from several major contributors on this forum, especially JPP. Truly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't give you any advice, but congratulations! I know an awesome OB/Gyn who started her career as a CRNA and put in 10 years before going to med school. Good luck.

trinityalumnus said:
Today I got THE CALL from the med school admissions committee. I'm in. Miracle of miracles. The admissions director made reference to my 10+ years as a CRNA as being a large brownie point which overcame some freshman-year potholes from several decades ago.

Thanks to all the private advice I received from several major contributors on this forum, especially JPP. Truly appreciated!

Good for you, man! I didn't know you were applying. Best of luck, and I hope you still have time to add your insight to this board once you're in school. So,having been a CRNA, are you gonna be an anesthesiologist, or do you think you'll go into a different field of medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
trinityalumnus said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Congrats, Trin. I'm very, very proud.

You'll make an outstanding physician.

Strong work, Trinity! You'll make an excellent physician!

Andy15430 said:
... snip ... So,having been a CRNA, are you gonna be an anesthesiologist, or do you think you'll go into a different field of medicine?

I'll probably experience the same emotions my father-in-law did after finishing med school in 1950: he was attracted to each specialty as he did that particular clerkship. Nothing really turned him off. He wound up doing general internal medicine (only MD in town for many years) and some first-assisting in surgery down the road for a little while.

For the history buffs: My father-in-law was an intern at Charity Hospital New Orleans 1950-51. HAD TO live on the grounds (JPP: in the CHNO center tower, floors 13-17). Un-airconditioned. Free room and board = all the bologna sandwiches you could stomach. Free laundry. HAD TO wear the all-white starched outfit with the "pharmacist" smock. Required the chief resident's permission to leave the grounds except during your one day per week off-duty. (On-duty 6 days/week).

Pay: $20/month.

to think that residents today complain about what they have to go through.

trinityalumnus said:
I'll probably experience the same emotions my father-in-law did after finishing med school in 1950: he was attracted to each specialty as he did that particular clerkship. Nothing really turned him off. He wound up doing general internal medicine (only MD in town for many years) and some first-assisting in surgery down the road for a little while.

For the history buffs: My father-in-law was an intern at Charity Hospital New Orleans 1950-51. HAD TO live on the grounds (JPP: in the CHNO center tower, floors 13-17). Un-airconditioned. Free room and board = all the bologna sandwiches you could stomach. Free laundry. HAD TO wear the all-white starched outfit with the "pharmacist" smock. Required the chief resident's permission to leave the grounds except during your one day per week off-duty. (On-duty 6 days/week).

Pay: $20/month.

Man, thats some s hit, huh?

20 bucks a month... similar reimbursement for a medicare CABG. :laugh:

trinityalumnus said:

Trin,

which school??

What does your boss (wife) think?

Does this mean you're leaving the party-city-mecca-of-America? :laugh: :laugh:

jetproppilot said:
Trin,

which school??

Virginia COM (three years old), affiliated with and on the grounds of Virginia Tech in their research park area (along with the Vet school and planned Dental school). Absolutely gorgeous brand-new facilities and campus. Full student privileges at VT, including athletics. :D

What does your boss (wife) think?

I'm gonna owe her BIG TIME.

Does this mean you're leaving the party-city-mecca-of-America?

:sleep: :sleep:

Trinity-

It's been a pleasure to learn from your level headed, insightful posts.

Thank you, and the very best of luck to you.

Congrats!

dc

Congrats
You will love Blacksburg. If the school had been around when I was applying I would have strongly considered staying just for the atmosphere.