Thanks in Advance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jult24er

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied to 20 schools. 5 interviews. 3 waitlists. One rejection.

34R, 3.69 / 3.62, some volunteering in college, 5 years out. Began clinical volunteering last September and shadowed in March / April. Wrote an update letter and got a letter of recomendation from these experiences two weeks ago to Temple. Waiting to hear back post-interview. On the other hand, its already mid-June!

Chances of getting in this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

So you are a re-applicant? Adcoms might want to see more EC's especially since you are a non-traditional applicant and have had plenty of time to put into it during the last 5 years. Having work experience may help you in this area, but I can't be sure because you didn't post any of your work experiences. You have a solid MCAT score and a solid GPA. If you haven't majorly improved any part of your application (EC's, LORs, PS, Stats, etc.), then you can expect to have similar chances during this cycle.

So you are a re-applicant? Adcoms might want to see more EC's especially since you are a non-traditional applicant and have had plenty of time to put into it during the last 5 years. Having work experience may help you in this area, but I can't be sure because you didn't post any of your work experiences. You have a solid MCAT score and a solid GPA. If you haven't majorly improved any part of your application (EC's, LORs, PS, Stats, etc.), then you can expect to have similar chances during this cycle.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am not a repplicant ... yet, i am still hoping to get in this cycle, perhaps nievely, so, really, i was asking about my cahnces of amtricualting somewhere in Fall 2008. But ... you're right, great chance i will be a reapplicant and then i ahve to start thinking about what my chances for 2009 would be.

While i havent started any new activities, I have continued the volunteering i began in september 2007 throughout the year and no have about 100 hours. i also shadowed. Does this count as major improvement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your thoughts. I am not a repplicant ... yet, i am still hoping to get in this cycle, perhaps nievely, so, really, i was asking about my cahnces of amtricualting somewhere in Fall 2008. But ... you're right, great chance i will be a reapplicant and then i ahve to start thinking about what my chances for 2009 would be.

While i havent started any new activities, I have continued the volunteering i began in september 2007 throughout the year and no have about 100 hours. i also shadowed. Does this count as major improvement?

It definitely helps. Just keep on volunteering. Also, what are your work experiences like?

Chances of getting in this cycle?

Very, very low, but we all know someone who got a call the week before class began and got admitted off the waitlist.

Everything about your application looks reasonable, except that, at the time you applied (?last summer), you hadn't yet had any clinical experience or shadowing to put on your application. And that lack of clinical experience killed your application at 15 of the schools you applied to. But also look for other potential reasons why you did not get in, if you have to reapply. Do you interview well? Maybe some practice is in order. Do you have great LORs? If you aren't sure, make a phone appointment with the dean of one of the schools that rejected you and ask their impression of your application. Hopefully, they can be induced to make a comment about your letters. Have you done research? If not, your application is less likely to be considered by some schools. Can you find some type of volunteer position where you could be involved in a project (if it provides more clinical exposure that would be best). It need not be bench research, or even science, as any scholarly endeavor would count.

how did you not get in anywhere this first cycle. i don't understand. were you just lacking clinical exposure? were the 20 schools you applied just all top schools or what? did you apply late? when were you complete by?

It definitely helps. Just keep on volunteering. Also, what are your work experiences like?

Thanks. At first I was jumping around a bit, outward-bound type trip leader, worked on a campaign for a health care bill, interned at environmental think-tank translating for people working on Russian forest issues. Since then Ive been at an energy consulting firm for almost 4 years, with about 6 months off for post-bacc classes and mcat when i waited tables. the majority of my interviewers seemed not very intersted, i think working in business might not be something that helps much or perhaps i have to spin it better ...

Last edited:
Very, very low, but we all know someone who got a call the week before class began and got admitted off the waitlist.

Everything about your application looks reasonable, except that, at the time you applied (?last summer), you hadn't yet had any clinical experience or shadowing to put on your application. And that lack of clinical experience killed your application at 15 of the schools you applied to. But also look for other potential reasons why you did not get in, if you have to reapply. Do you interview well? Maybe some practice is in order. Do you have great LORs? If you aren't sure, make a phone appointment with the dean of one of the schools that rejected you and ask their impression of your application. Hopefully, they can be induced to make a comment about your letters. Have you done research? If not, your application is less likely to be considered by some schools. Can you find some type of volunteer position where you could be involved in a project (if it provides more clinical exposure that would be best). It need not be bench research, or even science, as any scholarly endeavor would count.

Thanks. Not sure how I interview, my guess is im personable, but not very proactive ... no medical research, i did work as part of a research project in college, but most of what i did was just read and summarize russian news articles. would be great to find a clinical volunteer research position; is that possible?

Last edited:
how did you not get in anywhere this first cycle. i don't understand. were you just lacking clinical exposure? were the 20 schools you applied just all top schools or what? did you apply late? when were you complete by?

ha ha, thanks. yes, i really had very minimal clinical hours when i submitted to amcas. by interviews, i had more, but it is with nurses and medical assistats, not doctors. Only by LOI time did i have any shadowing expereince. My apps were late, mid-november - dec 31. My pre-med letter may have been underwhlming due to my lack of clinical inexperience when it was written in August. And my state school is competitive and there is only one. Hope its all this and not some personality defect ...

Maybe I mis-read it, but were you saying you only sent the update letter and LOR to temple? If you're on three waitlists, I would decide which one was my first choice, and write them a letter asap detailing your additional clinical experiences and what you've gained for it, what you would bring to the class and/or how great you would fit in there, and why they're your number one choice and that you would immediately withdraw all other applications if you were granted an acceptance. I would send this now even if you just sent an update two weeks ago. They need to know that they're your first choice. It absolutely can make a difference.

As for the other two waitlists, if you didn't just send them the update letter and LOR, I'd immediately send them, and make it a letter of interest. Again stressing what you've learned from your additional clinical experiences (to shore up any perceived weakness in that part of your application), why you'd be a great fit, and what you love about their school. Be proactive and passionate. It can't hurt, and it just might help.

Also, I would call the school(s) that you interviewed at but were rejected from. Some will tell you why you were rejected, or what you should improve when you reapply. That should be very useful information to act on both asap, and for next cycle if need be. Good luck - I hope you get off a waitlist soon!

(PS - Regarding working/business, I don't think it hurts provided you keep up on clinical experience at the same time. I worked as an attorney this past year, but I don't think it mattered a bit since I continued to volunteer at a free health clinic and could talk about that when asked about my clinical experience at interviews).

Thanks. At first I was jumping around a bit, outward-bound type trip leader, worked on a campaign for a health care bill, interned at environmental think-tank translating for people working on Russian forest issues. Since then Ive been at an energy consulting firm for almost 4 years, with about 6 months off for post-bacc classes and mcat when i waited tables. the majority of my interviewers seemed not very intersted, i think working in business might not be something that helps much or perhaps i have to spin it better ...

This is very interesting. Your work experiences are definitely unique. It seems like the lack of clinical killed your chances. Still, do not give up on getting accepted since you still are waitlisted at a few schools. I would do exactly what Phoenix said. Were I in your position, I really would not want to have to apply again. If you have to end up reapplying, you may want to wait until next cycle since you know that more clinical experience will give you a much improved chance of getting in. Again, best of luck to you.

Phoenix, winterlights, thanks very much for your advice. I sent the LOR and LOI to the waitlist schools (and wrote unclearly about it in my post!). One school said they would not read it and I withdrew my spot. I am not sure if the other two have, any advice on helping get the letters read by the adcom? its hard to get through to an officer ... I told Temple they were my first choice in my LOI to them. It has been > 2 months since my interview; im suprised i havent heard from them. I detailed my clinical expereince, and I tried to touch on what I would bring to the class. I talked about why i was interested in the schools. I had a tough time saying much about what i gained from the experience or why i would be a good fit / what i would bring, so i stuck mostly to descriptions, but im sure having done that more would have been good.

Phoenix, congrats on your acceptance. Applying while being a lawyer must not have been easy. Winterlights, I'm with you, i would much rather get in this cycle, seems a shame to be this close and have to start all over again.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend withdrawing from a school because they said they wouldn't read an LOI. The person answering the phones could be mistaken and/or you could end up getting in regardless of whether you sent (or they read) an LOI. So, I would recommend holding onto your other two waitlists no matter what they say. I figure some chance is better than none at all. Of course, if you really couldn't see yourself at that school it makes sense to withdraw. There's probably more to the story there. I just really hope you don't have to reapply!

:luck::luck::luck: