Thanks to some and &*^*$(^*& to others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringerdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, let me thank all of you that offered your opinions, followed by your reasonings. Many of you shed a lot of light on the situation for me and it has caused me to make some changes in our direction. Before I inform you of the decision that we have made, I would like to answer a few questions and put some of you in your rightful place.

I have ONE wife. She has been my wife for 15 years. We married when I was 22 and she was 20. We believe, as the Bible teaches that it is God that opens and closes the womb. I know that is outdated, but believing the Bible in general has become rather outdated in our society. The Bible also teaches that children are a blessing from the Lord. If God were blessing me with money, I certainly would not ask him to stop, why would I ask him to stop giving me children? By the way, I'm not asking you to answer that question. God has given us 11 beautiful children, all single births, none by adoption, oldest 13 and the youngest 8 months. We homeschool because it is our responsibility to teach and train our children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. I did not ask for your opinions about how many children I have. I have not asked any of you to support them and certainly don't appreciate the crass remarks by some posters. Your words are rude and reprehensible. The suggestions that I am not considering how this would affect my family are simply assanine. If I were not considering, I certainly would not have started this thread. As for my wife, she ascribes to the teaching of Mary Pride. Look it up. Her book is called The Way Home ~ Beyond Feminism and Back to Reality.

For those of you who posted genuine concerns and thoughts, allow me to share with you the changes that we have made. I will finish this semester and then transfer into a different local college that offers a ASN (associates degree in nursing). This will allow us to have immediate employment after schooling is completed and will not be nearly as time consuming. From that point, I will continue my educational pursuits toward the Bachelor in nursing and then reconsider Med - School at that point, if I'm even interested at that point.

This thread did shed a great deal of light, and I appreciate those of you that posted in a respectful manner. The rest of you ~ remember this ~ Opinions are like armpits - we all have them and they all stink!:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Smart move! While you're looking at nursing, you may want to look at audiology, pharmacy, nurse anesthetist, and other options. There are plenty of other healthcare careers that can tap into your interests and skills while providing plenty of opportunities that aren't 7 years in the future (and they can be enjoyable as well!). Medicine is a great career as well; it just seems like you have already made other commitments that you should honor. At the same time, if it's your calling, you can make it. Just keep in mind that your energies would be invested outside of your home and it would be a miracle to provide for your family because financial aid is not designed to support a large family like that.

Smart move! While you're looking at nursing, you may want to look at audiology, pharmacy, nurse anesthetist, and other options. There are plenty of other healthcare careers that can tap into your interests and skills while providing plenty of opportunities that aren't 7 years in the future (and they can be enjoyable as well!). Medicine is a great career as well; it just seems like you have already made other commitments that you should honor. At the same time, if it's your calling, you can make it. Just keep in mind that your energies would be invested outside of your home and it would be a miracle to provide for your family because financial aid is not designed to support a large family like that.

Thanks a bunch. This is certainly the kind of advice correspondence I was seeking with my original post. I have, as other had suggested, spoken with FA counselors at the local Medical University to explore the options. It DID NOT look very feasible. All of my questioning has been with my family in mind. I certainly am thankful for people like you that offered such great advice.

Thanks again and good luck in your endeavors. I will be staying around to glean information.

Thanks Again
Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! I hope you find what you are looking for. I hope I did not offend. I think most of us were just a bit amazed at the idea of someone with so many children wanting to go to med school. I have two children and feel like my house is constantly in chaos and certainly not particularly compatible to being a med student. I am a bit awe inspired at you and especially your wife. Your wife must be a pretty amazing woman. I'm barely cut out to keep up with two, my house is always a mess, I'm a terrible cook, my kids clothes are either dirty and in the laundry basket or clean and in a laundry basket. Hey, do you want two more? You'd probably raise them better than I would anyway. j/k. Anyway, I hope the best for you.

If you want to know more about audiology/speech-language pathology, PM me.

Sorry for all the negativity you received. don't give up on SDN because of that - just remember who the tools were and who offered up constructive criticism and then you'll know who to listen to and who to ignore from here on out.

I have to say that was pretty atypical for the non-trad forum. We're not exactly touchy-feely here but for the most part people are generally friendly and want to help.

Your choice sounds reasonable....

As for the cross remarks keep the following in mind. This profession attracts some of the most aggressive and competitive personalities. Specifically this website often is the byproduct of an awesome display of self-obession. This combined with a average age of 20 is going to lead to some nasty comments. (but hey I'd have a little rage too if I had all that student debt; too bad my house is paid off at 31 :laugh: )

I take about 10% of the responses here into consideration.

Enjoy.

Also, as you pursue your education please look into nurse practitioner options which will provide you with some autonomy (this can vary depending on location) and good compensation.

I agree with efex... I know several NPs that have significant autonomy and make a darn decent living. In some cases more than a family practice doc does.

UT has a Physician Assistant program (actually I think it's an affiliated program with MCO). Also, BG has an affiliation with MCO in it's health science program, so you could get garaunteed admission to the PA program from either of these undergrad institutions.

I have a friend that went thru medical school, started his emergency medicine residency and after 6 months quit and went to PA school. He had to quit because the residency was too much for him and his health was suffering, (he has type I diabetes). He loves being a PA now, he is in surgery daily, does his own procedures, is able to write prescriptions and sees his own patients. All of this is under the supervision of an MD, and different states have different laws, but overall, it's a fast program that allows for alot of practice options!

PM me if you'd like info on pharmacy. There are a variety of different practice settings and high demand/low supply has resulted in six-figure salaries in many areas.

aspiring,

Good luck with your career.

Consider checking out http://www.allnurses.com , which is sort of the SDN for nurses and nursing students. They may have more useful information than what you may find here.

Midlevel providers (PA and NP) serve as physicians in all but name in many states when it comes to primary care and only have to have a fraction of the schooling and the debt. It's definitely something to think about after you have your RN.