Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I plan to apply to medical school. This is my stats below. May all you guys give me some advice whether I need to improve somethings or not?

Major: Chemistry ( Biology Concentration)

- Current GPA: 4.0
- MCAT: 521
- Research Experience: 1 Undergraduate Research Summer at College of Medicine
- Leadership/Volunteer: 4 year-Catechist ( Teaching Catholicsm at church )
- Volunteer: 100 hours at Children hospital
- Shadowing: 150 hours
- 5 Recommendation Letters: 1 from non-science prof ( Math), 2 from science profs ( Chemistry & Biology ), 2 from MDs ( I also had one from DO, in case of not accepting to any MD school)

How do you think about my future application? Is it strong enough? Do I need to improve my outside activities? ( Honestly, I can't have enough time to make any more activities when dealing to my academic, my teaching job, and volunteering at hospital, also have to work to earn extra money for my family right now)
I'm very stressful and feel pressured during these time. Hope you can give me some motivation!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! God bless us!

Medical schools treat biology, chemistry, physics and math as science courses. All of them would be included in your sGPA. Thus, I would not treat your math professor's letter as a non-science letter.

I think you need to get out of your comfort zone and help the less fortunate. That is really the only thing i’d say your app is lacking.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools treat biology, chemistry, physics and math as science courses. All of them would be included in your sGPA. Thus, I would not treat your math professor's letter as a non-science letter.
Thats not neccessarily true

AMCAS uses BCPM solely for “science” GPA. However, what defines “science” for letter of recommendation is up to each individual school, indeed sometimes it is up to the opinion of the individual adcom evaluator. Indeed, some schools like CWRU, will not accept letters from ecology or botany professors as science even though these would be included in BCPM.

But I agree with you that math should not be considered a nonscience letter snd appicant should have a humanties or social science prof. Additionally, if MD letters are simply from shadowing experience, they have little impact on adcom. Unless these are MDs are direct job supervisor or research PI, they serve litte purpose

Reactions: 1 user
Any nonclinical volunteering to the unserved or underserved in your community? You need at least 150 hours of that. Get outside your comfort zone and fine a homeless shelter or soup kitchen or a camp for underprivileged kids. You have enough shadowing as long as you have some with a primary care doc. You probably should also increase your clinical involvement. 100 hours is a little low. Nice MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.