Medical Thanksgiving Rule for Late Applicants (AMCAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hi all,

I applied quite late (late August to mid September) and have barely heard back from any schools. Should I start to worry if I don't receive any interview invitations by Thanksgiving? Or should I give it a little more time since I applied late? I don't think many schools have even looked at my app at this point.

I've posted before and have been told that my school list and overall competitiveness are good. However, besides a couple of holds and rejections, all I have received is a telephone interview invitation. I thought this invitation was a good sign because it must mean that my application was at least strong enough to reach the top ~20% of those who applied to that school (only 800 out of 4000+ end up getting a telephone interview).

Getting this positive response made me think that my application would also be good enough to get interview invitations from other schools. But its pretty much just been silence from everywhere else.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone should be worried until they get an acceptance in hand, and should come up with a plan B to shore up the deficiencies in their app in case they wind up being a reapplicant again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many years ago now (almost 7 years ago! wow) I did a very unscientific survey which tried to provide some data to go alongside LizzyMs heuristic advice

Like others have said, the cycle is long and while patience is difficult it is really the only thing that can be advised.

These days I generally advise people that if they have not had any interview invites by the end of winter break to begin to make re-application or gap year plans.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.