1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

That awful book about 3rd year trials-White Coat??

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Gear, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Gear

Gear Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Some time back, someone posted a message about some book (I think the title was White Coat...) describing the authors supposed horrors of 3rd year ("...medicine made me give up eating, now surgery has made me give up drinking water..."). Does anyone remember the actual title and link to ttthe site where excerpts of the text are posted? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rhys

Rhys Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmm..not sure, but it wasn't White Coat...White Coat is by a Harvard med student who eventually chose pediatrics, and overall is written quite positively, especially considering some of the others I've read...unless there's more than one book with that title? I suppose it's possible; there's about a dozen with a variation of "Do No Harm" as the title.

I'll try to find out for you; meanwhile, this would be a great place to post our recommendations of books detailing the med school and residency experience. I'm reading every one I can and think they're cruical in preparing you for the worst, so that you can make the best of the experience. The more you know, the better off you'll be. I think the most negative experiences are directly related to the sudden death of over-developed idealisms. I'll post my own list here soon.

4. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

5. showeeeeeeeee

showeeeeeeeee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Are you thinking of "Becoming a Doctor" by Melvin Konner?

I read it and found it interesting, but he seemed to dislike it a lot. I think if you read it you should read some others too, so that your opinion doesn't get too skewed.

Michele

6. Fah-Q

Fah-Q Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I read "Diary of a 3rd Year Medical Student." It was written by a Tufts medical student and is perhaps the most negative commentary of medicine I have ever read. He exaggerates plenty, misleads the reader, and flat-out lies some of the time. The only thing useful I got out of that book was...don't go to Tufts!!!

7. Eric714

Eric714 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The book you might be referring to is:

"White Coat: Becoming a Doctor at Harvard Medical School" by Ellen L. Rothman, MD

8. Pathologist

Pathologist Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You must be thinking of another med school book. White Coat is about a med student at Harvard. It's about all four of her years there, and not just her third year. She also goes into pediatrics, not surgery. It's a pretty interesting book and I think all premeds should try it out.

9. Gotrob

Gotrob Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you talking about the post that had a link to a site that talked about lines of med students that secretly gave pelvic exams to anesthetized women who were about to have surgery?

I would to find that link again also