That crazy salary question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had no idea you guys were paid so little relatively... When compared to other surgeons with years of residency similar to podiatrists (ortho, gen surg, optho, ent, OMFS, etc.) who average in the $500k range. Why is there such a difference? Insurance just doesn’t pay the same for foot procedures compared to everything else ? $250k is not a surgeon salary...
500k? Lol that’s definitely inaccurate. You need to shadow a podiatrist before making assumptions. Most podiatrists are only doing surgery 1-2 times a week max and are not doing as many hours as those other specialties. And you’re completely forgetting the competetiveness of getting those residencies AND the length of doing those as most of those are 5-6 years and most do fellows afterwards.

They SHOULD be payed more but 500k is def not the average for any of those except maybe ortho.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
500k? Lol that’s definitely inaccurate. You need to shadow a podiatrist before making assumptions. Most podiatrists are only doing surgery 1-2 times a week max and are not doing as many hours as those other specialties. And you’re completely forgetting the competetiveness of getting those residencies AND the length of doing those as most of those are 5-6 years and most do fellows afterwards.
Oh I thought the $250k was average for podiatrists that had surgical training and practice as foot and ankle surgeons. Vs general podiatrists who have a lower salary (not included in the $250k average). And I thought that the other surgeon salaries averaged $400-500k. Am I way off ? I was just in the OR today watching an Achilles rupture repair!

Oh I thought the $250k was average for podiatrists that had surgical training and practice as foot and ankle surgeons. Vs general podiatrists who have a lower salary (not included in the $250k average). And I thought that the other surgeon salaries averaged $400-500k. Am I way off ? I was just in the OR today watching an Achilles rupture repair!
250k for a surgical pod is somewhat accurate... You can google most salary specialties just get it from a reliable source. Ive looked at it briefly before and it’s generally low 300 to low 400... but again there’s training length and hours to consider.