That Smelly Smell that Smells Smelly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The Knife & Gun Club

EM/CCM Attending, Finally.
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today I smelled a perianal abscess that had fistulized into the rectum. Good god.

After a lot of thinking, I decided this was officially the worst smell I’ve ever smelled, which is pretty remarkable when not spoken as hyperbole.

We debrieded the abscess in the OR as infected poo flew everywhere. Even with the AC vents cranked to the max there was no escape. We were all gagging and dry heaving. I left after case and showered in the locker room. Changed my scrubs. Drove home, left the new scrubs in my car, and snuck into my house in my underwear. Then sat in the shower for 20 minutes.

And now, sitting on my couch, as clean as I’ve ever been in my whole life, I can still smell the poo.

Anyone have a better terrible smell story?
 
I literally had to pack my gums with Altoids like I was putting in tobacco a few times with patients with Cdiff mixed with being homeless and all sorts of other infections and stuff. I'm tellin ya thats the trick. I had so much mint in my mouth I couldn't smell a thing haha I've tried to explain smells to non-medical people and theyll never comprehend
 
Today I smelled a perianal abscess that had fistulized into the rectum. Good god.

After a lot of thinking, I decided this was officially the worst smell I’ve ever smelled, which is pretty remarkable when not spoken as hyperbole.

We debrieded the abscess in the OR as infected poo flew everywhere. Even with the AC vents cranked to the max there was no escape. We were all gagging and dry heaving. I left after case and showered in the locker room. Changed my scrubs. Drove home, left the new scrubs in my car, and snuck into my house in my underwear. Then sat in the shower for 20 minutes.

And now, sitting on my couch, as clean as I’ve ever been in my whole life, I can still smell the poo.

Anyone have a better terrible smell story?

Drained 1 L of a mixture of pus and feces out of this huge appendiceal abscess on IR. While **** wasn't everywhere, it was definitely on my gloves and on my gown.

Probably the same smell you smelled, but mine lasted on my hands (despite being double-gloved) for 2 days despite repeated handwashing and showering.

We did it under CT and the stench lingered in our radiology wing for a week.

My attending was like, "Alright, you got this? Cuz **** this ****. I'm sitting in the control room."
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today I smelled a perianal abscess that had fistulized into the rectum. Good god.

After a lot of thinking, I decided this was officially the worst smell I’ve ever smelled, which is pretty remarkable when not spoken as hyperbole.

We debrieded the abscess in the OR as infected poo flew everywhere. Even with the AC vents cranked to the max there was no escape. We were all gagging and dry heaving. I left after case and showered in the locker room. Changed my scrubs. Drove home, left the new scrubs in my car, and snuck into my house in my underwear. Then sat in the shower for 20 minutes.

And now, sitting on my couch, as clean as I’ve ever been in my whole life, I can still smell the poo.

Anyone have a better terrible smell story?

Saw a giant grapefruit-sized perianal abscess w/ fistula in the ED a couple months ago. Considering how revolting/permeating the smell was just from the patient passively sitting in a room (one of the few rooms with an actual door, too), I don't even wanna think about how horrific it must have been debriding in the OR.
 
Today I smelled a perianal abscess that had fistulized into the rectum. Good god.

After a lot of thinking, I decided this was officially the worst smell I’ve ever smelled, which is pretty remarkable when not spoken as hyperbole.

We debrieded the abscess in the OR as infected poo flew everywhere. Even with the AC vents cranked to the max there was no escape. We were all gagging and dry heaving. I left after case and showered in the locker room. Changed my scrubs. Drove home, left the new scrubs in my car, and snuck into my house in my underwear. Then sat in the shower for 20 minutes.

And now, sitting on my couch, as clean as I’ve ever been in my whole life, I can still smell the poo.

Anyone have a better terrible smell story?

If you see flies on the inside of a window prior to a welfare check in the summer...
 
Literally decomposing corpse

If you see flies on the inside of a window prior to a welfare check in the summer...
This. When I did my forensic path elective I got to go to the scene, help load up the body, and assist in the autopsy of a chronic alcoholic who pissed and **** wherever he wanted in his apartment and had been dead for about 3 weeks when he was found.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today I smelled a perianal abscess that had fistulized into the rectum. Good god.

After a lot of thinking, I decided this was officially the worst smell I’ve ever smelled, which is pretty remarkable when not spoken as hyperbole.

We debrieded the abscess in the OR as infected poo flew everywhere. Even with the AC vents cranked to the max there was no escape. We were all gagging and dry heaving. I left after case and showered in the locker room. Changed my scrubs. Drove home, left the new scrubs in my car, and snuck into my house in my underwear. Then sat in the shower for 20 minutes.

And now, sitting on my couch, as clean as I’ve ever been in my whole life, I can still smell the poo.

Anyone have a better terrible smell story?

It’s in your nose. No amount of showering can help
 
Fournier's gangrene.
Wet gangrene.
Dead bowel.
Multiple day old bowel perf.
High percentage burn victims (or those with 4th degree burns). Worst was a patient so burned we couldn't tell if male or female. I swear it was at least a full week before I wasn't smelling that dead scorched flesh smell everywhere I went.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
High percentage burn victims (or those with 4th degree burns). Worst was a patient so burned we couldn't tell if male or female. I swear it was at least a full week before I wasn't smelling that dead scorched flesh smell everywhere I went.

Now I think that takes the cake for most horrendous.
 
A surgeon from way back in my residency used to take a huge whiff of whatever the offensive smell was and yell “ahhhh the smell of money”.
That guy was hardcore. The rest of us could be barfing from the nasal assault and he carried on as if it was the smell of fresh baked cookies. Never seen anything like it since.
 
Last edited:
A surgeon from way back in my residency used to take a huge whiff of whatever the offensive smell was and yell “ahhhh the smell of money”.
That guy was hardcore. The rest of us could be barfing from the nasal assault and he carried on as if it was the smell of fresh baked cookies. Never seen anything like it since.
That is fantastic
 
I put benzoin on my mask. It honestly works really well.
If you have adhesive remover it smells like rose and does ok with the lesser odors. For gangrene and c diff you need something more potent like contraband mask spray (because for some reason the folks that decided to ban its use on anesthesia masks didn't leave us the option to use it on ourselves and no one stocks oil of wintergreen anymore).
 
My question for ya’ll is this - why is it that with those really bad smelly smell cases you keep smelling it randomly for HOURS.

I never get to randomly whiff steak after eating some 10 hours later... whyyyyyyyy

Worst is when you catch the whiff right before you are about to take your first bite of food.
Because the odor particles are still on you. I wash any part of my body that had contact (usually more than once), wash my face and nose, then find some highly scented lotion to apply. The last step is key. Don't think it is the lotion itself since the regular stuff they stock in the hospital doesn't really do the trick. Maybe the oils used to scent the kind of lotions that leave a residual scent on you for hours is what does it (in which case I guess crushing up an altoids into hospital lotion might help)? Don't know. I just know that after those kind of cases I try to find someone who is willing to share their bath and body works or similar style lotion with me and then no more smell even later when I wash that lotion off.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since we are all huge fans of C-diff and the smell of it, let me tell you a funny story.

I was working at a VA hospital in Madison, WI years ago and left a stool sample on the nurses station. It was liquid and looked like Campbell's beef & barley soup. After about ten minutes, I heard yelling. No... screaming! It sounded horrific, and reminded me of combat in Baghdad.

The old screwed-shut plastic cup exploded, covering the nurses station (computers, charts, a crockpot full of chili and a whole pizza) and several nurses with C-diff poo. They were so pissed off. I bet it still stinks over 15 years later.
 
Since we are all huge fans of C-diff and the smell of it, let me tell you a funny story.

I was working at a VA hospital in Madison, WI years ago and left a stool sample on the nurses station. It was liquid and looked like Campbell's beef & barley soup. After about ten minutes, I heard yelling. No... screaming! It sounded horrific, and reminded me of combat in Baghdad.

The old screwed-shut plastic cup exploded, covering the nurses station (computers, charts, a crockpot full of chili and a whole pizza) and several nurses with C-diff poo. They were so pissed off. I bet it still stinks over 15 years later.

And where exactly can I get these exploding cups? Asking for a friend of course.
 
ImageUploadedBySDN1543531789.590466.jpg


This gem of mine. Diabetic from way out in the sticks. I didn’t need to know what ER room the consult was in... I followed the smell and the sound of nurses gagging in the hallway.

It had been rotting for weeks. Family were like, “we thought it was gonna get better with time.” *facepalm*


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
View attachment 242999

This gem of mine. Diabetic from way out in the sticks. I didn’t need to know what ER room the consult was in... I followed the smell and the sound of nurses gagging in the hallway.

It had been rotting for weeks. Family were like, “we thought it was gonna get better with time.” *facepalm*


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So sad but at the same time, oh helll nawwww
 
View attachment 242999

This gem of mine. Diabetic from way out in the sticks. I didn’t need to know what ER room the consult was in... I followed the smell and the sound of nurses gagging in the hallway.

It had been rotting for weeks. Family were like, “we thought it was gonna get better with time.” *facepalm*


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It doesn't look like it'd smell good even if it wasn't black and dead