The 04/19/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN2013

Athens
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
38 :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie...I'm not ready. Just trying to get better at gen chem and ochem...they keep screwing me.

I'm hoping for heavily passage based stuff...because my content is weak...

I feel like the mcat is going to take my lunch money and make fun of my momma. My practice scores are all over the place and I feel like it's hit or miss on the verbal section, anyways you know what they say misery loves company so im glad you guys are having a lousy time as well. Good Luck

I feel like the mcat is going to take my lunch money and make fun of my momma. My practice scores are all over the place and I feel like it's hit or miss on the verbal section, anyways you know what they say misery loves company so im glad you guys are having a lousy time as well. Good Luck

Yup, VR is hit or miss for me too.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's the physics I'm worried about... all the electric current stuff. It showed up last time I took the MCAT and pwned me.

32 on AAMC5, but I made a crap load of mistakes. On PS, I misread Titanium (Ti), as Tl on the periodic table, and got pwned on 4 questions as a result

32 on AAMC5, but I made a crap load of mistakes. On PS, I misread Titanium (Ti), as Tl on the periodic table, and got pwned on 4 questions as a result

good job on the 32, i got a 33 on KAP 3 and a 30 on KAP4 followed the award winning performance with a 25 on KAP 5. Im hoping it was a fluke, but i guess ill see thursday when I take aamc9

yea, I'm taking #6 tonight, hoping to hit the 36 that i got on kaplan FL7

I'm totally not ready for this either! I'm getting really scared since it's so soon and I have so many practice exams to take. I've taken a few TPR, Kaplan, and AAMC exams and my scores are all over the place also. My Kaplan scores are so embarassing. Just curious, how does everone recieve the Kaplan exams compared to AAMC?? I see some people are getting Kaplan scores on par with AAMC but I'm totally getting pwned by Kaplan (high twenties) but getting low-mid 30's on AAMC. I think something is wrong with my brain when it comes to Kaplan exams:(

I'm totally not ready for this either! I'm getting really scared since it's so soon and I have so many practice exams to take. I've taken a few TPR, Kaplan, and AAMC exams and my scores are all over the place also. My Kaplan scores are so embarassing. Just curious, how does everone recieve the Kaplan exams compared to AAMC?? I see some people are getting Kaplan scores on par with AAMC but I'm totally getting pwned by Kaplan (high twenties) but getting low-mid 30's on AAMC. I think something is wrong with my brain when it comes to Kaplan exams:(

Be happy your doing good on the AAMC's, I wouldnt be worried about the kaplans because there just all over the place with me. Have you taken AAMC8 yet? I thought the bio section was brutal, I came out of it used and abused.

God I am so annoyed right now. Its 9pm, the library is close to empty and I start to take a practice test and what happens???? Two guys come sit right next to me and start talking....I suspended the test, thankfully was only two questions in to it...and now they aren't talking, but I really don't want to start the test again, because who knows when they will start up again!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will just take it tomorrow, but I'm running out of time right now and that is not what I needed. I guess I'll just spend tonight studying instead

Be happy your doing good on the AAMC's, I wouldnt be worried about the kaplans because there just all over the place with me. Have you taken AAMC8 yet? I thought the bio section was brutal, I came out of it used and abused.

Not yet. I heard 7 and 8 were the toughies. I'm taking those this week, wednesday and friday. I'll post my scores when I finish those exams. I've so many practice tests to finish, mostly Kaplan and I'm debating whether or not I should just forgo those and just focus on revewing and finishing the AAMC CBTs.

God I am so annoyed right now. Its 9pm, the library is close to empty and I start to take a practice test and what happens???? Two guys come sit right next to me and start talking....I suspended the test, thankfully was only two questions in to it...and now they aren't talking, but I really don't want to start the test again, because who knows when they will start up again!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will just take it tomorrow, but I'm running out of time right now and that is not what I needed. I guess I'll just spend tonight studying instead

I know what you mean. I decided to go to the public library rather than Barnes and Noble to do a practice test, never doing that again. People shelving books, babies crying, high schoolers chit chatting and laughing, the security guard checking over my shoulder every so often. The acoustics in the library are horrible since every little noise is amplified. Atleast at Barnes there's a constant background ambience. I managed to finish just the PS section and left soon thereafter, lol.

Not yet. I heard 7 and 8 were the toughies. I'm taking those this week, wednesday and friday. I'll post my scores when I finish those exams. I've so many practice tests to finish, mostly Kaplan and I'm debating whether or not I should just forgo those and just focus on revewing and finishing the AAMC CBTs.

I gave up on Kaplan FL in favor of finishing all of the AAMC CBTs because I heard they were the most like the real thing. I am really cramming them in at the end here...Doing AAMC5 tomorrow, 6 Wed or Thurs, 7 Fri, 8 Sat, 9 Sun, 10 Mon or Tues...Hope thats not too close to the real thing (friday for me)

Members don't see this ad :)
I gave up on Kaplan FL in favor of finishing all of the AAMC CBTs because I heard they were the most like the real thing. I am really cramming them in at the end here...Doing AAMC5 tomorrow, 6 Wed or Thurs, 7 Fri, 8 Sat, 9 Sun, 10 Mon or Tues...Hope thats not too close to the real thing (friday for me)
wow...this is going to be a harsh week for you...but it has to be done! :luck:

wow...this is going to be a harsh week for you...but it has to be done! :luck:

Yea, I really wish I would have started them sooner. But the end of last term and spring break were not kind to me time-wise, so here I am...cramming (pretty typical for me:oops:)

I got through 8 of the Kaplans before moving onto AAMC for good. Im doing one tomorrow (Tuesday...I guess that means today haha) one thursday one sat. and then my last monday. I'm also next Friday.

So does everyone sort of agree that Monday (or sooner) would be a good last day to do a FL??? I will still probably study some stuff...just to memorize, up until Wednesday..

Oh yea- and I so got screwed- I have 2 midterms next week!!! Calculus on Tues night and Physiology on Thursday night!!!!

My last full length (AAMC CBT 10) will be next wednesday and I'm taking it on Saturday. I'm going to spend thursday reviewing every mechanism and equation. Friday, I'll probably spend the whole day working on my painting and scrapbooking

Oh yea- and I so got screwed- I have 2 midterms next week!!! Calculus on Tues night and Physiology on Thursday night!!!![/QUOTE said:
Eek, good luck with that! Just divy up your studying. It can be done!!:luck:

OK, this is getting to be @#$%ing rediculous!! I tried a different computer lab...it was nice and quite. I start my test and its feeling really good, then half way into PS tons of people show up and start talking LOUDLY....I am so frustrated right now. I'm making it a point to simulate "testing" conditions, so I dont mind some noise, but I can't handle all the talking and laughing...its not possible:mad:

Wealthy politicians cannot offer fair representation to all the people.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which a wealthy politician might offer fair representation to all people. Discuss what you think determines whether a wealthy politician can or cannot offer fair representation to all the people.

My first sentence:
Y34, I d3fin473ly 4gr33 w this 57473m3n7.

then I clicked on next.

by the way, that sentence took longer to write than my orginial expectation

I hate when some passages that are in BS that are basically another verbal reasoning passage where basically zero knowledge is applied or needed. I just took AAMC 8 and I didn't like Passage VI. If anyone took this, can you PM me? I still don't agree with the answer to #36.

I hate when some passages that are in BS that are basically another verbal reasoning passage where basically zero knowledge is applied or needed. I just took AAMC 8 and I didn't like Passage VI. If anyone took this, can you PM me? I still don't agree with the answer to #36.

If your talking about the one with the frickin lizards, trust me dude i know what you mean. When i got to that one I was like you got to be kidding me. Is number 36 the question that has to deal with the locus on a sex chrom or autosomal? I think i understood there reasoning

I just got PS:10, VR:12, BS:12 on AAMC6

I've never sucked as much on PS, and I've never imagined getting more than a 10 on VR. BS was lower than my avg cuz AAMC6 had like 21 orgo questions, compared to the norm of like 12

If your talking about the one with the frickin lizards, trust me dude i know what you mean. When i got to that one I was like you got to be kidding me. Is number 36 the question that has to deal with the locus on a sex chrom or autosomal? I think i understood there reasoning

Nah, it was like something about species D or E being hte least affected by something. But one of those species started out lower, but it had a huge spike later. But yeah, that passage sucked and I hope the real MCAT has nothing like that. I missed 5 in that passage alone. Could have had an 11, maybe 12.

I just got PS:10, VR:12, BS:12 on AAMC6

I've never sucked as much on PS, and I've never imagined getting more than a 10 on VR. BS was lower than my avg cuz AAMC6 had like 21 orgo questions, compared to the norm of like 12

Nice job...although now I'm totally not looking forward to that Bio...orgo is my weakness so I'll be screwed...I usually score 10-11 on verbal though, so maybe that will make up for it

Finished AAMC 8. 13 P, 9V, 12 B. Wow!!! I'm very happy with this score, but I wish my verbal would go up :( I'm just going to practice verbal from now on since that is my greatest weakness :( I really hope I get atleast a 10 on the real test.

Nah, it was like something about species D or E being hte least affected by something. But one of those species started out lower, but it had a huge spike later. But yeah, that passage sucked and I hope the real MCAT has nothing like that. I missed 5 in that passage alone. Could have had an 11, maybe 12.

well visible light is 390-700, UV is lower than 390 and the passage states "around 360" so that's why the later spike doesn't matter. The later spike is in the visible light region, not the UV light region.

Hellooooooooo, 4/19 MCATers!!

I've just retitled this thread to make it your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions, passage information, or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific content from the test will be deleted, and a 1-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I'm so nervous!!!! I can't believe the MCAT is finally here-- less than one week left. I have had this exam on my mind since I started undergrad, and in just six days, I will meet face-to-face with the monster.

AAMC 4 - 12, 13, 13 - 38
AAMC 7 - 13, 11, 13 - 37
AAMC 9 - 13, 11, 14 - 38
AAMC 10 - 13, 11, 13 - 37

My dream score: 13, 13, 14 - 40 :love:

I am a foreign student who moved to United States a few years ago. I took science courses here and my GPA is 3.8. I took my first aamc test three weeks ago and I got a 16. I studied for three weeks and about 4 to 5 hours each day. The aamc test I took yesterday (aamc 10) I got 26. I can only score VR between 6 and 7. I am hoping to get a 27 or 28 for the real test. Will I be accepted by some medical school with my GPA and MCAT score? Or should I void my MCAT this Sat. and retake it later this year? I am confused and I will appreciate any advice from you. :)

don't void it. Have it scored it and unless if u left alot blank/completely guessed. Do a retake if necessary

don't void it. Have it scored it and unless if u left alot blank/completely guessed. Do a retake if necessary

I don't guess for BS and PS, but I do guess for some questions in VR.

Everybody here is aiming for 30+. I don't think my score will be good compare with 30+. I don't know if I will be able to get into any medical school.

Thank you for your advice. I will have it scored. :)

I am a foreign student who moved to United States a few years ago. I took science courses here and my GPA is 3.8. I took my first aamc test three weeks ago and I got a 16. I studied for three weeks and about 4 to 5 hours each day. The aamc test I took yesterday (aamc 10) I got 26. I can only score VR between 6 and 7. I am hoping to get a 27 or 28 for the real test. Will I be accepted by some medical school with my GPA and MCAT score? Or should I void my MCAT this Sat. and retake it later this year? I am confused and I will appreciate any advice from you. :)

Foreign students basically need a 32/33+ to have a shot at U.S MD schools .. no doubt about it. Realistically, your verbal won't jump up to a 10 overnight.

The average MCAT score for matriculants is rising as well (it's around a 31) right now. If you're international, you will have to be aiming higher. Even if you were to score a 15/7/15, it wouldn't help. In my opinion, work on verbal more if you have the time. You only studied for 3 weeks. Practice more, and you score will increase!

I'd say if you signed up already, take it, see how it feels, and have it voided. Only saying this b/c you're international (like me). Admissions will not be lenient on you... infact, they will expect more.

Foreign students basically need a 32/33+ to have a shot at U.S MD schools .. no doubt about it. Realistically, your verbal won't jump up to a 10 overnight.

The average MCAT score for U.S citizens is rising as well (it's around a 31) right now. If you're international, you will have to be aiming higher.

I'd say if you signed up already, take it, see how it feels, and have it voided. Only saying this b/c you're international (like me). Admissions will not be lenient on you... infact, they will expect more.

I guess I am not an international student because I matriculated at my college as local student and paid in-state tuition.:confused:

I guess I am not an international student because I matriculated at my college as local student and paid in-state tuition.:confused:

Weird. So did I :confused:

But what's your visa status? Are you a permanent resident? If you are, they you're good.

Weird. So did I :confused:

But what's your visa status? Are you a permanent resident? If you are, they you're good.

I'm a permanent resident. But if they are expecting 31+, I still don't have any hope here. I probably will have to retake MCAT. I know I will not score 31+ this time unless miracle happens.

I feel like I'm hopeless on VR.