The 10 Hardest Medical Schools To get Into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsFutureDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this article on Linked-in. Note to self, do not apply to any of these schools:)

http://blog.accepted.com/2013/06/23...linkedin&utm_medium=social&utm_content=755813

George Washington University (DC)
Mayo Medical School (MN)
Stanford University (CA)
Wake Forest University (NC)
Brown University – Alpert (RI)
Georgetown University (DC)
Harvard University (MA)
UC San Francisco (CA)
Columbia University (NY)
UCLA Geffen (CA)

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, I am not applying there! :) Thanks for posting this, hehe.

I saw this article on Linked-in. Note to self, do not apply to any of these schools:)

http://blog.accepted.com/2013/06/23...linkedin&utm_medium=social&utm_content=755813

Mayo Medical School (MN)
Stanford University (CA)
Harvard University (MA)
UC San Francisco (CA)
Columbia University (NY)
UCLA Geffen (CA)

Haha, I'm applying to five of these. Yikes.... but... I have interviews at 2! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
They are only using ratio of applicants over marticulants. That doesn't tell you much.

I would say Princeton is by far and away the hardest medical school to get into :smuggrin:

But yeah, the ratio doesn't tell you much. I know Mayo in particular irritates some applicants because they reject ppl with 4.0/40 but accept ppl with 3.5 and 30. They have a whole set of other attributes they are looking for and are especially particular about fit. So if you think you fit it might be worth taking a gamble and applying.

agree.They are only using ratio of applicants over marticulants. That doesn't tell you much. thanks
15.gif

Mayo Medical School (MN)
Stanford University (CA)
Harvard University (MA)
UC San Francisco (CA)
Columbia University (NY)
UCLA Geffen (CA)

Why is Hopkins not on this list?

Why is Hopkins not on this list?
Because it's a BS list.

You want to know why Harvard is on the list and Hopkins isn't? Because many people want to live in Boston, and they don't want to live in the hoods of Baltimore. You know why a non-research oriented school like GW is #1 on the list while Wash U, one of the premier research institutions in this country, isn't on it at all? Because tens of thousands of people want to live in DC and don't want to live in St. Louis. Which med schools get the most apps is in large part driven by geographical bias.

Which begs the question, who the hell wants to live in Rochester, MN? :p

J/K it's been a good five years.

In all seriousness, Brown and Mayo are both on there because of the small number of seats they have (50ish for May, 65ish for Brown once you subtract out the BS/MD students).

So yeah, the list is just a combination of schools that are either a)unusually small or b)in desirable cities.

This list is useless. Shouldn't affect your decision to apply to any of these schools.

Because it's a BS list.

You want to know why Harvard is on the list and Hopkins isn't? Because many people want to live in Boston, and they don't want to live in the hoods of Baltimore. You know why a non-research oriented school like GW is #1 on the list while Wash U, one of the premier research institutions in this country, isn't on it at all? Because tens of thousands of people want to live in DC and don't want to live in St. Louis. Which med schools get the most apps is in large part driven by geographical bias.

Which also begs the question of, "Where's the list of the schools with the least applicants?"

I'm about ready to make a twin thread asking that. (Maybe I can part with Boston for just a few years... But then again, some schools might want students who have roots and loyalty to the city...)

Which begs the question, who the hell wants to live in Rochester, MN? :p

I did! MD schools that aren't in big cities are hard to come by. Mayo was easily my top choice when I was applying to med schools, and part of the reason was indeed geography. New Orleans is nice, but I'm already tired of driving on a crowded freeway to get to class each morning.

Which also begs the question of, "Where's the list of the schools with the least applicants?"

That's easy, Caribbean. Or at least the best applicant to acceptance ratio

I did! MD schools that aren't in big cities are hard to come by. Mayo was easily my top choice when I was applying to med schools, and part of the reason was indeed geography. New Orleans is nice, but I'm already tired of driving on a crowded freeway to get to class each morning.

Yeah, but then you would have been stuck living in the same town as me.

The list rotates yearly. Apparently the hardest to get into this year are the ones I'm currently applying to. :naughty:

edit: meant that to be a joke suggesting that the lower tier ones i'm applying to are the ones are the hardest, not that i'm applying to the top tier... ahh nvmd.

Last edited:
Yeah, but then you would have been stuck living in the same town as me.

I guess that would be awkward. I've never lived in the same town as a girl who wanted to marry me before. Usually the only girls who are attracted to me are nurses, and then they're only after me for my big juicy arm veins. Either that or they were vampires, I don't know. It's tough being an "easy stick."

I guess that would be awkward. I've never lived in the same town as a girl who wanted to marry me before. Usually the only girls who are attracted to me are nurses, and then they're only after me for my big juicy arm veins. Either that or they were vampires, I don't know. It's tough being an "easy stick."

Lol, part of the training to be a clinical lab scientist is doing phlebotomy. I'd definitely notice the arm veins.