The 2011-2012 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to let you all know that I have been accepted to LMU. I am so lucky and blessed and without going into detail, I believe there were a number of factors that helped me. PM me if you have any questions!

I am so proud of the underdogs this cycle and I could not be happier to call you all OMS-I cohorts.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to let you all know that I have been accepted to LMU. I am so lucky and blessed and without going into detail, I believe there were a number of factors that helped me. PM me if you have any questions!

I am so proud of the underdogs this cycle and I could not be happier to call you all OMS-I cohorts.

Congratz and well done.

Members don't see this ad :)

Holy ****! It happened!! Congrats!!!! See? You can't be the leader of the underdog thread unless you get in too.

Wow..I will celebrate on your name tonite (2 beers)...I am so happy for you. You will be an excellent physician.

I'll admit I didn't have much hope, true underdog but you beat the odds DJack and really do deserve to be the leader of the 11-12 Underdog Thread :) Cheers to you mate. Congratulations

:thumbup:Nice.:thumbup: Congratulations.:thumbup: I am happy for you.:thumbup: You deserve it.:thumbup: Good luck in med school:clap:

Freaken AWESOME DJack!! It's been a long journey for us underdogs in this application cycle and I am so happy that you are finally on your way to become a physician! I don't know if anyone at LMU deserves this more than you! :thumbup:

DJack: holy ****. Amazing! I didn't have much hope for either of us and here we both are with acceptances off the waitlist! I'm so happy for you!

Do everyone in the future a favor and tell us your story.

Yes, please share your stories! I'm extremely nervous about this cycle and I'm really scared I won't get in anywhere!

Yes, please share your stories! I'm extremely nervous about this cycle and I'm really scared I won't get in anywhere!

same here! some success stories will be nice to hear.

I've been one of your biggest fans this entire cycle, and am SOOO happy for you!!! Although, I'm wondering why your first sentence was not in all caps, prefaced with "OMGOMGOMGOMG" and followed by 10-12 exclamation marks. You must be speechless! ha.

Good for you though; very happy for ya. You started this thread last cycle... so posting your story would be a fitting way to end the 2011-2012 Underdog thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
So were there any unsuccessful underdogs this year? JW, because I imagine a lot of people on the list on page 1 never gave any updates.

BOOM SON! :boom:Good work man, really proud of you, congrats!

so this is why the thread is revived. A big congrats to you!

DJack: holy ****. Amazing! I didn't have much hope for either of us and here we both are with acceptances off the waitlist! I'm so happy for you!

Do everyone in the future a favor and tell us your story.

Congratulations! I agree!

Oh my, I've been following your story and crossing my fingers for you for a while! CONGRATULATIONS! You are going to be a great Osteopathic physician. Please do share your whole story here. I'm sure it would offer insight and hope to a bunch of new underdogs who don't really have much hope to hold onto (myself included).

MedPR don't even buy into the SDN neuroticism. You're going to be accepted by October.

You'll be able to choose where you go.

Come on...You have a 33 mcat. Seriously ....

And he's native american.

I know what you guys are thinking, and I feel the same way about people with a 4.0/40MCAT posting in the WAMC board, but I don't want to get my hopes up and end up with 0 acceptances. If the DO average is a 3.6/27, and 0.1GPA is equivalent to 1MCAT point, then I'm really about an average DO applicant since my GPA is 0.4 points below average and MCAT 6 points above average.

MedPR don't even buy into the SDN neuroticism. You're going to be accepted by October.

You'll be able to choose where you go.

I'm trying to buy into comments like these, but I can't help but be nervous.

I know what you guys are thinking, and I feel the same way about people with a 4.0/40MCAT posting in the WAMC board, but I don't want to get my hopes up and end up with 0 acceptances. If the DO average is a 3.6/27, and 0.1GPA is equivalent to 1MCAT point, then I'm really about an average DO applicant since my GPA is 0.4 points below average and MCAT 6 points above average.

Matriculant average = 3.50/26.5

I can name only two instances off the top of my head where someone applied to DO properly but didn't get interviews. One person had a 2.7 and 22, the other had a 3.0 and a 19. In my opinion, 3.0+/3.0+/25+ and the proper clinical EC's, plus applying early and broadly is competitive to at least receive DO interviews.

Quit worrying, you are fine and will probably get at least 10 interviews.

is this really true?

Averages are kind of skewed a little bit, but anyways what that means is that you're around the 50% (let's not get too technical about the numbers.) of matriculants to every DO school.

It's highly unlikely every DO school is going to accept 49% of the class beneath your stats over you.

In fact even people who're at the bottom 25% stand a reasonable chance if they apply broadly and early.

PUMPED! :thumbup::thumbup: Congrats man!

In other news, MS1 finally came to an end today. Celebration!

Hey DJack, I recently read up on some of your endeavors throughout this past campaign. Seriously man congratulations on your acceptance, it's hard to imagine what it's like having to wait a year for your dream to come true. Glad it happened for you.

Now you've been spared having to retake the MCAT

Hey I think I am kind of late posting on this thread since a new underdog thread has been started but I wanted to share my experiences. Hopefully, I can cheer some people up who are applying or reapplying for next year. I will try to keep this short as possible. This was my second time applying. My stats:

I took the MCAT 3 times.
21M / 22M /25R

GPA: 3.7 c/s gpa

I had decent amount of volunteering hours and did a couple extracurricular activities in college.

I did not have enough money to apply early for the 2012 cycle and was forced to apply late. I finished sending out all my secondaries by November. During my first couple months of waiting, I only received one interview (Touro-NY). I had the interview on February and did terrible. I was waitlisted the following week. Towards mid March I got a letter from Touro saying I was put on the priority waitlist. I wish I would have filmed my reaction. I was jumping up and down thinking that I had hope until I went to SDN and found out everyone got put on priority waitlist. Within a week touro sent me a letter saying I was rejected. At least I got to feel really special those first couple hours.

After my rejection I ended up calling the other schools to ask if they were still giving out interviews. Most schools didn't give me a straight answer and just told me to wait. However, the last school that I called (WVSOM) ended up telling me the interview process was over and told me to reapply earlier for next year. I pretty much gave up hope at that point thinking that every school was finishing up interviews. As the days passed I started receiving rejection emails.

By the beginning of April I decided to study for the GREs and was about to apply to graduate school. It wasn't until the end of April I was invited for an interview at NYCOM. I was shocked because this was the school I really wanted to go to. I was very nervous during the interview since this was the last school that would give me a chance. I basically waited for a month to get a response and ended up getting accepted this week.

Hopefully my story will help you if you are feeling down. Never give up hope. Even though I was planning to take the GREs I think I would have reapplied for a third time. I managed to save up enough money to apply earlier for next years' cycle; however, fortunately I didn't have to. Anyway, with all this money saved up I might just end up buying something nice for myself lol. I want to say good luck to anyone who is applying for next year and congratulations on the people who were accepted.

Hey I think I am kind of late posting on this thread since a new underdog thread has been started but I wanted to share my experiences. Hopefully, I can cheer some people up who are applying or reapplying for next year. I will try to keep this short as possible. This was my second time applying. My stats:

I took the MCAT 3 times.
21M / 22M /25R

GPA: 3.7 c/s gpa

I had decent amount of volunteering hours and did a couple extracurricular activities in college.

I did not have enough money to apply early for the 2012 cycle and was forced to apply late. I finished sending out all my secondaries by November. During my first couple months of waiting, I only received one interview (Touro-NY). I had the interview on February and did terrible. I was waitlisted the following week. Towards mid March I got a letter from Touro saying I was put on the priority waitlist. I wish I would have filmed my reaction. I was jumping up and down thinking that I had hope until I went to SDN and found out everyone got put on priority waitlist. Within a week touro sent me a letter saying I was rejected. At least I got to feel really special those first couple hours.

After my rejection I ended up calling the other schools to ask if they were still giving out interviews. Most schools didn’t give me a straight answer and just told me to wait. However, the last school that I called (WVSOM) ended up telling me the interview process was over and told me to reapply earlier for next year. I pretty much gave up hope at that point thinking that every school was finishing up interviews. As the days passed I started receiving rejection emails.

By the beginning of April I decided to study for the GREs and was about to apply to graduate school. It wasn’t until the end of April I was invited for an interview at NYCOM. I was shocked because this was the school I really wanted to go to. I was very nervous during the interview since this was the last school that would give me a chance. I basically waited for a month to get a response and ended up getting accepted this week.

Hopefully my story will help you if you are feeling down. Never give up hope. Even though I was planning to take the GREs I think I would have reapplied for a third time. I managed to save up enough money to apply earlier for next years’ cycle; however, fortunately I didn’t have to. Anyway, with all this money saved up I might just end up buying something nice for myself lol. I want to say good luck to anyone who is applying for next year and congratulations on the people who were accepted.

Nice man, I have a 3.78 GPA and hopefully trying to pull a 25+ on the MCAT. Gives me hope. Congratulations!

just wanted to let you all know that i have been accepted to lmu. I am so lucky and blessed and without going into detail, i believe there were a number of factors that helped me. Pm me if you have any questions!

I am so proud of the underdogs this cycle and i could not be happier to call you all oms-i cohorts.

congrats dj!!!!!!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give hope to all the underdogs out there. I am an underdog due to my MCAT and had a very successful cycle.

Interview invite: KYCOM, WCUCOM, PCOM-GA, NSUCOM

Interviewed at: KYCOM, WCUCOM, NSUCOM

Accepted at all three!

Do not give up!!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give hope to all the underdogs out there. I am an underdog due to my MCAT and had a very successful cycle.

Interview invite: KYCOM, WCUCOM, PCOM-GA, NSUCOM

Interviewed at: KYCOM, WCUCOM, NSUCOM

Accepted at all three!

Do not give up!!

Can I ask your cGPA, sGPA, MCAT (and maybe when you applied? :p )?

But... congrats! love reading success stories :D

3.67 cgpa, 3.44 sci gpa
MCAT 24
Applied August-September
And I chose NOVA! :)

oops sorry. Wrong thread. :|

Last edited:
I love this thread! Everyone is so positive and encouraging!

My "underdog" street cred I guess will be determined once I get my MCAT score but here is my standing so far:

Cumulative GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.2
Non Science: 3.59
MCAT: Took it on June 21st

My upward trend is really good. I had a 4.0 my entire senior year but my sophomore year I got a D, C-, a few more C's and a W. I re-took the D and W but the C- is still there. I was also only carrying 11 credits for two semesters during my junior year because I got really sick.

I have lots of clinical experience, volunteer time, and was an endocrinology teaching assistant. I also have quite a unique personal story. I'm hoping that my MCAT score comes through for me! I'm really nervous about it though because of that darn verbal section! Fingers crossed. Thank you all for being so positive on this thread. It's really encouraging. I have been trying so hard to make up for previous "hiccups" in my academic record. Now I can just anxiously wait for my MCAT score...

Post it in the 12-13 underdog thread (for this cycle): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=910661

I think I belong in this thread.
Science: 2.85
Overall: 3.21
Non Science: 3.3 something
MCAT #1: 17
MCAT #2: 28 just got this score today :D
REALLY UPWARD TREND
good LOR's and EC

Hoping for an acceptance this year!

Applied to every DO school and 13 MD schools near me.

Think again.

Why wouldn't I belong in this thread? I am not a competitive applicant. Isn't this thread about people who are working their way up to an acceptance and then once they accomplish it, they use their posts and stats to motivate others?

Why wouldn't I belong in this thread? I am not a competitive applicant. Isn't this thread about people who are working their way up to an acceptance and then once they accomplish it, they use their posts and stats to motivate others?

This is the 2011-2012 UD thread... You belong to the 2013-2014 one.

Last edited:

There is a more recent "underdog" thread for 2013-2014 vs the 2012-2013 one you just posted