The 2011-2012 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry never updated this thread but

Interview: NYCOM, Touro-NY, NSU-COM

Accepted: Touro-NY, NSU-COM

Waiting on NYCOM

I also re-took my MCAT and got a 30 on my latest go around

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't want to update until I accepted an offer. Done now though.

Interview: NSU-COM, ATSU-COM, Touro-NV, Invited to interview: Touro-NY

Accepted: Touro-NV, offer accepted so I did not go to the Touro-NY interview.

Planning to attend Touro Nevada in the fall. Good luck to all the other underdogs out there. I got pulled off of the high waitlist. So stay strong, be patient, and don't give up hope. There's always a way and nothing happens to anyone that he or she is not fitted by nature to bear. Peace.

Best,

I have had quite a few people PM me, asking me about my success with this years application. So I decided that I would describe to everyone what I did, and outline some good characteristics that all DO applications should have. Hopefully what I have written isn't to obvious.

Grades/MCAT: This will honestly get you the furthest. But I think that not having some aspect of these other characteristics I have described makes a person a weak candidate. My grades were below average, and my MCAT was slightly above average. I think that as long as your GPA is above a 3.0, you can make up for it with a higher MCAT (high 20's low 30's). In contrast, a high GPA coupled with a low MCAT doesn't have the same effect. If your GPA is below a 3.0, make sure you do everything in your power to get your GPA up. DO schools allow for grade replacement, which I think is a great opportunity to make up for past mistakes and should be capitalized on by all those not meeting GPA requirements. If you have a high GPA and low MCAT, work on bringing up that MCAT! You got high grades for a reason--you are either smart or a hard worker--either of these characteristics (most likely a little of both) should help you bring up your MCAT.

Letters of Recommendation: I made sure to choose letter writers that would write unique things about me. I was able to do this by getting to know profs early on with office hours, or working with them personally with projects I created. I went to a large state school, so this was very difficult to pull off. My recommendation is start of early in your college career to get to know professors. Honestly, if you are frequent in their office hours, they would have to be asses to not write you a letter of rec. But make sure to know the temperament of who your writer is. Do they seem genuinely nice? Do they seem kinda lazy, and etc.? Also, asking for letters early is sooooo important! For me, it took 6 months for some of m profs to get me my letters. This also goes for DO's/MD's you want to ask letters for--ask them early!!

Shadowing: I shadowed two DO's. Had them both write me letters of recommendation. I had no MD letters even though I I had the opportunity to get some. I really wanted schools to see my commitment to DO.

Personal Statement: I went through 20 drafts. I had at least 5-6 people help me edit it. Including a college professor that was a family friend, and my EMT boss, who currently is in DO school. This is probably the most over-looked part of people's applications. This really shows ADCOMs who you are more than any other part of your application. Here, they can really see what your writing capabilities are, and how well you are able to describe yourself in such a short space. DO NOT OVERLOOK THIS! It took me nearly two months , working on it everyday to compose what I wrote, which I really do think was the finest thing I had ever written. When you are ready to turn in your application, you have to ask yourself if your PS is one of the best things that you have written. If it isn't you have work to do, or you are selling yourself short.

Research: This was the weakest part of my application. I did a little research that wasn't very flashy. But when I wrote about it I made it sound really impressive. I injected rats with saline/ a drug as part of a diabetic research study--but I didn't have too many responsibilities as far as the research went.

Clinical Experience: (Demonstrate that you are passionate about Medicine, and knowledgeable) Over here, volunteering at hospitals helps, but doesn't really set you apart. Volunteering alone also may demonstrate interest in the field, but not necessarily knowledge about what you are getting yourself into. I personally worked for a year as an EMT. I think this showed ADCOMs both my commitment to medicine, and proved to them that I knew what I was getting myself into. Actually working with patients as a health care provider gives you a really different perspective as to what it is like to work with a patient--much more than volunteering can, and ADCOMs I believe take notice of this.

Community Service Background: (Doing some sort of community service, not necessarily medical.) For me, this could also fall under the category of uniqueness, but I made educational drug videos about recreational drugs and posted them online. I also coached and did other things. The important thing is being able to say that you have served communities one way or another.

Uniqueness: (Something that makes you stand out.) This one is really hard, because what is really unique anyways? For me, I described in detail how I had medical problems of my own when I was young in my personal statement. My medical problems weren't that interesting, but I know for a fact the story I told in my PS was!

Well-Roundedness: (Basically proof that you have a life other than doing medical school related things.) I described my love for sports, particularly Basketball, and things that I had done---coaching, playing in leagues, playing to alleviate stress, etc.

Working on everything that I have outlined, I would find it very hard to believe if a few DO schools don't look your guys way. Hope this advice helped!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If this thread is still being updated my status should now read:

divajazzerina: 3.41, 3.05, 24 Interview: LMU-DCOM, PCOM, ACCEPTED: LMU-DCOM

What were your ECs/other factors that helped you get in?
I'm a non-traditional applicant and got a 3.8 GPA in a post bac pre-med program. I currently work for a foot doctor where I do patient intake and other duties where I work directly with patients. I had leadership roles in Pre-SOMA, attended DO day on the hill in the past, and lots of volunteering/shadowing.

just a random question, what exactly do you do on DO day at the hill? I got a little confused when I was reading the description of the day. Am I only going to be meeting with government reps?

I got an interview invite to TUCOM-Mare Island. This was unexpected as I submitted my secondary many months ago. I am not going on the interview since I have already been accepted to a closer school. Nevertheless, it was exciting to get the interview invite!

Good luck to all the other underdogs!

Last edited:
Accepted off the high wait-list today at Touro-NV. I'm going to Vegas!
Now if Touro NY calls me back and pulls me off their waitlist, I'll have to make a tough choice.

Now if Touro NY calls me back and pulls me off their waitlist, I'll have to make a tough choice.
Congrats man! The nerve racking wait is over finally!

Congrats bro! I have a friend who might be joining you there.

saywatumean: 3.93, 3.87, 24 O Interview: KCUMB, ATSU-SOMA Accepted: KCUMB, ATSU-SOMA

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have reached the end of my journey.

The final tally:

TouroNV - Interviewed, waitlisted
KCOM - Interviewed, Accepted
OUHCOM - Interviewed, Accepted, and ecstatic to be attending!!

Goodluck to all the other underdogs in the class of 2016!! :)

I have reached the end of my journey.

The final tally:

TouroNV - Interviewed, waitlisted
KCOM - Interviewed, Accepted
OUHCOM - Interviewed, Accepted, and ecstatic to be attending!!

Goodluck to all the other underdogs in the class of 2016!! :)
Congrats man!

Figured I belong on here- Don't give up hope guys!

Stats:
cGPA- 3.19 (Was a 2.97 prior to post-bacc)
sGPA-3.7 (I'm a career changer so I took all my pre reqs in a post-bacc and got a 3.97GPA. The only reason I have a 3.7 is because I got B in a science class in undergrad)
MCAT- P7,V8,B9, WO: (24O)

Important Stuff: 1400 hours EMT volunteering, 8 hours shadowing MD, 15 hours shadowing DO, 8 hours shadowing oncology team.

Applied to 23 schools, 21 secondaries offered, 20 secondaries completed.
Interview Invites: Touro-NY, PNWU, LMU-DCOM, DMU, KCUMB

Accepted: KCUMB (favourite school, will be attending!)
Waitlist: Touro-NY, PNWU
Waiting to hear: LMU, DMU

Stats:
sGPA-3.7 (I'm a career changer so I took all my pre reqs in a post-bacc and got a 3.97GPA. The only reason I have a 3.7 is because I got B in a science class in undergrad)

Important Stuff: 1400 hours EMT volunteering, 8 hours shadowing MD, 15 hours shadowing DO, 8 hours shadowing oncology team.

Congrats brah! I think your extensive ECs did wonders for your application (that, and your postbac work). Good job!

Stats:

Your story is truly inspiring! Do you mind sharing when your application was complete, and what month did your interviews start?
Also, if you don't mind sharing, were you ever asked about your MCAT during interviews?

Your story is truly inspiring! Do you mind sharing when your application was complete, and what month did your interviews start?
Also, if you don't mind sharing, were you ever asked about your MCAT during interviews?

Thanks, hope it helps others!

I submitted my AACOMAS app at the end of September but a transcript problem with my undergrad schools led to it taking until 11/15 to be verified. I received secondaries between 11/16 and 12/5 and had them all complete by 12/10. I started receiving interview invites on 12/15 and completed all my interviews between 1/26 and 2/27. I was accepted on 3/3.

The MCAT came up in 4 of my 5 interviews. I was honest with them and told them I wished I had only studied for 2 weeks and gotten a 24 but that in actuality I had put in 5 months of work, been scoring 29-33 over the course of 13 full lengths and just bombed on test day for no good reason. The MCAT didn't come up during the 5th interview because it was a closed file and the interviewers knew nothing about me.

Hey guys don't give up! I was truly a big underdog. My freshman year of undergrad I got a D in both bio I&II and a C in both chem I&II. I retook those classes got A's and did all the research and volunteering I could possibly do. I only got a 25 on my MCAT and was not accepted to any schools my first application cycle. I decided to do a Post Bacc at Erie which has a "guarantee" for their medical school and apply again this year. I have been accepted to LECOM and also to WVSOM.

Point I'm trying to make is, never give up. If you really want to do this, you can with hard work and dedication.

I know the feeling of bombing on the big MCAT day; I too was scoring 29-30's in my FL's.

It was a pleasure meeting you in Touro-NY! Congratulations again!

Hey all the underdogs that have have gotten interviews, could you send me a PM telling me a little about yourself, stats and ecs and stuff? Anyone that's willing to would be great, it would help me compare myself to other underdogs.

Hey guys don't give up! I was truly a big underdog. My freshman year of undergrad I got a D in both bio I&II and a C in both chem I&II. I retook those classes got A's and did all the research and volunteering I could possibly do. I only got a 25 on my MCAT and was not accepted to any schools my first application cycle. I decided to do a Post Bacc at Erie which has a "guarantee" for their medical school and apply again this year. I have been accepted to LECOM and also to WVSOM.

Point I'm trying to make is, never give up. If you really want to do this, you can with hard work and dedication.

That's so great to hear!!! I remember we were in the same boat last year!! I am truly happy for you!!!

MIne should now read:
divajazzerina: 3.41, 3.05, 24 Interview: LMU-DCOM, PCOM, Accepted: LMU-DCOM, PCOM

Not a personal story, but I feel it is still relevant to this thread.

I have a friend who was accepted to VCOM and two other schools (dont remember which schools) a year ago after taking a couple years off after undergrad. She had a 3.49 cgpa and 3.25 sgpa and a 24 on her MCAT. However she did apply very very early.

This gave me a much needed boost of confidence, hopefully it does the same for everyone else!

I figured I should increase the success stories for the underdogs thread since I've used it for motivation. I was accepted to the first school in early nov.

My stats: cGPA- 3.55 sGPA- 3.53 MCAT- 25 (8/8/9)
Interviews: wvsom, rvu, lecom-e, pcom
Accepted/Attending: wvsom

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I figured I should increase the success stories for the underdogs thread since I've used it for motivation. I was accepted to the first school in early nov.

Congrats:)

Could you tell us what schools you applied to and when your application was submitted?

Your GPA is high, and your MCAT is one point shy of average. I would have expected that you get more acceptances.

Im not sure if i would consider you an underdog..what were your ECs? your GPA is sexy so having one point shot of average mcat shouldnt hinder you that much

Congrats:)

Could you tell us what schools you applied to and when your application was submitted?

Your GPA is high, and your MCAT is one point shy of average. I would have expected that you get more acceptances.

Kcom, dmu, ccom, nsu and the schools I got interviews at were all of the schools I applied to. My apps were complete by mid-late sept (verification time was ridiculous); my ecs were coaching hs sport, shadowing four docs (80 hrs tot), working a manual labor job during summers, research, club sport at university, created another club sport that went to nationals 2 years in a row and a few other little volunteering things.

Im not 100% sure if I am a true underdog but getting high scores on practice MCATs then getting a 25 on my actual test really made me feel like one.

The point Im trying to make is that not hitting a 28+ on your MCAT doesn't mean you cannot get interviews or acceptances.:)

I don't think 26 is average anymore... Maybe for underdogs, but definitely not for the general matriculating population. I've been wrong before....

I got an 8,8,9 (25R) too and got 4 interviews and two acceptances out of 16 schools.

And hitting high practice FL's and then bombing the real thing? I know dat feel...

What caused you guys to bomb the real thing? And 26.5 is the average matriculant I believe.

What caused you guys to bomb the real thing? And 26.5 is the average matriculant I believe.

Honestly, I have no idea- that's the worst part. Typically im a fantastic "test taker" but couldn't remember any basic chemistry and had a terrible time with the verbal. Stage fright, or maybe freak occurrence? Either way, I went from averaging above my desired score (n>15 tests) to a 25. I'd likely do much better if I retook, but in all honesty I'm thrilled with the school I will be attending in the fall and have no reason to look back.

I wanted to update.

I graduated college with BS in Biology and 3.31 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA. Upward trend.
I took the MCAT 3 times; 25M, 22N and 27N

I was verified in August and the program director at Ohio U told me with my GPA no one will even look at my application. I needed to send my grades from grad school before anyone would consider me. It was very discouraging and I dragged my application process and finished my secondary in Jan.

Interviews:
LECOM, KCUMB, LECOM-B

Interviewd and Waitlisted: LECOM, Withdrew before Interviewing: LECOM-B

Accepted: KCUMB

I just wanted to let everyone know, dont let anyone discourage you. I almost screwed myself listening the director at OU and thinking no one will look at my application without a semester of grades. Keep your head up guys and make sure to apply broadly. I almost didnt even send my secondary to KCUMB because honestly I didnt think I'd have a chance. Now I am going to one of the best DO schools.

I wanted to update.

I was verified in August and the program director at Ohio U told me with my GPA no one will even look at my application. I needed to send my grades from grad school before anyone would consider me. It was very discouraging and I dragged my application process and finished my secondary in Jan.

Interviews:
LECOM, KCUMB, LECOM-B

I just wanted to let everyone know, dont let anyone discourage you. I almost screwed myself listening the director at OU and thinking no one will look at my application without a semester of grades. Keep your head up guys and make sure to apply broadly. I almost didnt even send my secondary to KCUMB because honestly I didnt think I'd have a chance. Now I am going to one of the best DO schools.

Wow I had my LECOM-E Interview on 3/23 I hope they accept me, I have similar stats to you!

I wanted to update.

Interviews:
LECOM, KCUMB, LECOM-B

you give me a breathe of hope...im retaking my mcats but my stats are similar to/lower than yours...3.27gpa and 3.2sgpa. congrats and thanks for this post! i was seriously depressed about my stats

Wow I had my LECOM-E Interview on 3/23 I hope they accept me, I have similar stats to you!

You might end up being waitlisted man. I dont know many people that got accepted from the round before my interview onward. But Erie pulls a lot of people of their waitlist.

I think you should reapply next year before considering SGU. I think youre going to get a seat easy. Apply early and hopefully this year you can finish you retakes and for sure you'll get a seat at LECOM next year, and many more DO schools. Dont worry about MD schools next cycle. Obviously some DO schools have strong regional preference so you should avoid them but you have a great MCAT. The key word to you: EARLY.

BTW, I looked at your MDapps.

You might end up being waitlisted man. I dont know many people that got accepted from the round before my interview onward. But Erie pulls a lot of people of their waitlist.

I think you should reapply next year before considering SGU. I think youre going to get a seat easy. Apply early and hopefully this year you can finish you retakes and for sure you'll get a seat at LECOM next year, and many more DO schools. Dont worry about MD schools next cycle. Obviously some DO schools have strong regional preference so you should avoid them but you have a great MCAT. The key word to you: EARLY.

BTW, I looked at your MDapps.

Thanks man. My SGU deposit was due yesterday so I basically gave up my seat, and don't think they're ever going to take me again if I reapply unless I send the deposit with the application, haha.

I just really don't want to wait another year but it looks like I may have to. I am sitting on the NYCOM waitlist right now, and if LECOM takes me I will go -- I don't think waiting a year for NYCOM is worth it if I don't get in this cycle. I wish I could've applied earlier but I took the MCAT in September... I should've just submitted my secondary ahead of time, looking back. Being complete 10/26 vs. the first week of May when AACOMAS opened up definitely put me in this situation! Waiting a year for UMDNJ or PCOM, though... Hm.

Thanks for your uplifting words, the waiting process really sucks. It's a nailbiting process when you don't know where you are going to be in 6 months or what you're going to be doing.

Thanks man. My SGU deposit was due yesterday so I basically gave up my seat, and don't think they're ever going to take me again if I reapply unless I send the deposit with the application, haha.

I just really don't want to wait another year but it looks like I may have to. I am sitting on the NYCOM waitlist right now, and if LECOM takes me I will go -- I don't think waiting a year for NYCOM is worth it if I don't get in this cycle. I wish I could've applied earlier but I took the MCAT in September... I should've just submitted my secondary ahead of time, looking back. Being complete 10/26 vs. the first week of May when AACOMAS opened up definitely put me in this situation! Waiting a year for UMDNJ or PCOM, though... Hm.

Thanks for your uplifting words, the waiting process really sucks. It's a nailbiting process when you don't know where you are going to be in 6 months or what you're going to be doing.

I'm pullin' for you. I got accepted to LECOM in Sept. so I hope to see you in Erie this summer. It looks like you have a good application though, so I'm sure it'll work out.

I wanted to update.

Interviews:
LECOM, KCUMB, LECOM-B

wow, congrats! That's amazing and def gives me hope (though my gpa is horrible compared to yours). =)

Thanks! I will be attending LMU-DCOM.:D

I am not originally from PA, but have lived in Philly (and have been a PA resident) for the last 3 years.

Congrats! Not gonna lie, slightly jealous. I'm on the WL at LMU-DCOM right now. :S But doing the post-bacc for sure so we'll be classmates...kind of.

No more acceptances for the underdogs...

I've been wondering the same thing. Every time my confidence level dips, I come to this thread and read some of the success stories of those who beat the odds and accomplished the "rate determining" step in their dream path.

C'mon, colleagues, keep the good news coming :xf:

Hey guys hope everyone is well,
My stats: 3.42, 3.2. And 25O
Interviewed: LMU-DCOM, Pikeville, and ATSU-Soma
Waitlisted : pikeville
Accepted : LMU-DCOM
Awaiting answer: ATSU