The 2011-2012 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Countdown until 2012-13 UDT???

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys hope everyone is well,
My stats: 3.42, 3.2. And 25O
Interviewed: LMU-DCOM, Pikeville, and ATSU-Soma
Waitlisted : pikeville
Accepted : LMU-DCOM
Awaiting answer: ATSU
Congrats that's awesome!!!

hey guys!

okay maybe im not the biggest underdog. But my stats will probably blow your mind.

sciGPA: 3.1? ish?
cGPA: 3.4? ish? Double major.
My premed courses? Got all A's in physics and calc, A in chem 2, B in biology 2, C in biology 1, C in both Orgos, C in chem 1, C+ in chem labs. Lmao don't even get me started on my systemic physiology courses.

MCAT: 1st time- 20 lol oops
2nd time- 24. Hey, I improved.

Got every single primary back. Sent out half the secondaries. Interviewed at two places so far, but decided to accept at KCUMB - one of the best medical schools out there.

DON'T LET ANYONE EVER TELL YOU THAT YOUR STATS WONT PULL YOU THROUGH.

The important things to remember:
1. LOVE what you do
2. LOVE who you've become and SHOW IT IN YOUR APPLICATION
3. SHARE your experiences. NOTHING comes close to a stellar GPA like an honest, experienced, well-rounded person.
4. BE PASSIONATE. ALWAYS. especially in your interviews.
5. EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS. I ended up getting an accelerated master's in sports medicine. Best decision ever? Who cares how long it takes to get to medical school. Just keep chugging. I promise it will be more worth it for you in the end than for Joe-Shmoe who got in first time around with his 34 MCAT score.

If I can do it, while partying my weekends away with my best friends and having the time of my life at concerts, you can too. It just takes one thing: learn to learn from your experiences. Everything that I am now and who I have become comes from being humble about things one has achieved, and even things one has been denied.

It's us, the underdogs, that are the ones who will make those "awesome" doctors that kids talk about, that parents talk about, that communities talk about. It's us. Because we have not only the drive, but the passion, courage, and respect that comes from watching everyone else get ahead of us while we toil under the sun to become half of what they are.

And eventually, we become four times what they ever will be.

:oops:

okay maybe im not the biggest underdog. But my stats will probably blow your mind.

My premed courses? Got all A's in physics and calc, A in chem 2, B in biology 2, C in biology 1, C in both Orgos, C in chem 1, C+ in chem labs. Lmao don't even get me started on my systemic physiology courses.

Got every single primary back. Sent out half the secondaries. Interviewed at two places so far, but decided to accept at KCUMB - one of the best medical schools out there.

If I can do it, while partying my weekends away with my best friends and having the time of my life at concerts, you can too. It just takes one thing: learn to learn from your experiences. Everything that I am now and who I have become comes from being humble about things one has achieved, and even things one has been denied.

Strong work. I really loved these parts.:rolleyes: How do you not even know your GPA?!

Whoever reads this, please don't get mad he got an acceptance and you're still dying for one. This is now how "underdogs" should act. :thumbdown:

hey guys!

DON'T LET ANYONE EVER TELL YOU THAT YOUR STATS WONT PULL YOU THROUGH.

The important things to remember:
1. LOVE what you do
2. LOVE who you've become and SHOW IT IN YOUR APPLICATION
3. SHARE your experiences. NOTHING comes close to a stellar GPA like an honest, experienced, well-rounded person.
4. BE PASSIONATE. ALWAYS. especially in your interviews.
5. EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS. I ended up getting an accelerated master's in sports medicine. Best decision ever? Who cares how long it takes to get to medical school. Just keep chugging. I promise it will be more worth it for you in the end than for Joe-Shmoe who got in first time around with his 34 MCAT score.

It's us, the underdogs, that are the ones who will make those "awesome" doctors that kids talk about, that parents talk about, that communities talk about. It's us. Because we have not only the drive, but the passion, courage, and respect that comes from watching everyone else get ahead of us while we toil under the sun to become half of what they are.

And eventually, we become four times what they ever will be.

:oops:

Don't agree with this.

DustyVCU 3.33c 3.29s 20, 26 on retake = interview at UTHSC next week!

Strong work. I really loved these parts.:rolleyes: How do you not even know your GPA?!

Whoever reads this, please don't get mad he got an acceptance and you're still dying for one. This is now how "underdogs" should act. :thumbdown:

Yeah, I agree. Equating being social with underdog stats is a little ridiculous. I'm sure there are a lot of applicants with non underdog stats that had social lives. Probably most, since EC's are a big part of the equation.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the statistics posted on the first page are updated or not?

Last edited:
Anyone know if the statistics posted on the first page are updated or not?

They are about 95% up to date. Some people just posted their stats and forgot about the thread, so I'm not sure if they got in or not. But I have tried to keep it updated for most people who have gotten back to me.

They are about 95% up to date. Some people just posted their stats and forgot about the thread, so I'm not sure if they got in or not. But I have tried to keep it updated for most people who have gotten back to me.
tenndoc. 3.44 cGPA/3.29 sGPA/27O (9,9,9)
interviewed PCOM-GA, WCU, LMU, KYCOM, ETSU, UTHSC
No final decision: UTHSC, PCOM
WL: WCU, LMU, ETSU
Rejected: ETSU
Accepted: KYCOM

So I have a question for DJack or anyone else who remembers the old underdogs thread. On DJack's initial post, he mentions an underdog formula of sGPA*10 + MCAT/2. I was just wondering why MCAT is divided by two. This would seem to decrease the weight that the MCAT has in the admissions process. I keep hearing that it's better to have a high MCAT and a lower GPA than a higher GPA and lower MCAT. I'm not ripping on the formula, I am just curious as to how it was chosen.

I think this formula found on page six is much better than the old formula:

How about this as the general applicant formula:

cGPA * 10 + sGPA *10 + MCAT = applicant score

3.43 * 10 + 3.33 * 10 + 25.66 = 93.3 average applicant

3.49 * 10 + 3.41 * 10 + 26.48 = 95.5 average matriculant

This is based on the observation that osteopathic schools seem be more holistic when evaluating applicants and a little less concerned with numbers, specifically MCAT scores, than their allopathic counterparts. This is shown by the larger percentile difference in MCAT scores (26.5 vs. 31.1) than GPA (3.49 vs. 3.67) It places equal weighting between science GPA, cumulative GPA and MCAT score.

The following modification will be made to account for students who have a graduate degree in the natural sciences or have done a postbacc with 24 or more credit hours completed (one year full time) to account for the weighting of recent coursework in returning students.

(cGPA + grad cGPA) * 5 + (sGPA + grad sGPA)*5 + MCAT = graduate student applicant score

(cGPA + postbacc cGPA) * 5 + (sGPA + postbacc sGPA)*5 + MCAT = post bacc student applicant score

To determine the criteria for an underdog we can utilize the 10th /90th percentile rule from the MSAR and apply it as +/- 1 std deviation, or the 16th / 84th percentile to keep the calculations simple. So the true underdog would have at least one of the three academic categories below the 16th percentile with the other two average or below as well. By using the cGPAas the statistical outlier, and probably the most common one for successful underdogs, we come up with the following score for an underdog:

(3.49 - .26) * 10 + 3.41 * 10 + 26.48 = 92.9 underdog threshold

(3.49 - .26) * 10 + (3.41 - .30) * 10 + (26.48 - 3.14) = 86.7 long shot

However, outliers cause issues. A 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA with an 22 on the MCAT will be a underdog, but according to a simple formula it will compute as a competitive score. To combat this we will add several modifiers to compensate for people with unbalanced stats.

-1 point MCAT overall 24
-2 points MCAT overall 23
-3 points MCAT overall 22
-1.5 points Every section on the MCAT that scores a 7
-3 points Every section on the MCAT that scores a 6
-1 point cGPA 3.00-3.19
-3 points cGPA 2.85 - 2.99
-5 points cGPA 2.75 - 2.84
-1 point sGPA 3.00-3.09
-3 points sGPA 2.85 - 2.99
-5 points sGPA 2.75 - 2.84

Additional factors:
MCAT overall scores < 22 will be screened out by nearly every school and will not be rated
MCAT sectional scores < 6 will be screened out by nearly every school and will not be rated
cGPA or sGPA < 2.75 will be screened out by nearly every school and will not be rated

Finally, there is a large difference in the admission statistics between osteopathic schools, DMU has an average matriculant score over 100 while Pikeville is around 91. So a 3.2/3.1 with a 24 MCAT may be a big problem at one school and just fine at another.

So I have a question for DJack or anyone else who remembers the old underdogs thread. On DJack's initial post, he mentions an underdog formula of sGPA*10 + MCAT/2. I was just wondering why MCAT is divided by two. This would seem to decrease the weight that the MCAT has in the admissions process. I keep hearing that it's better to have a high MCAT and a lower GPA than a higher GPA and lower MCAT. I'm not ripping on the formula, I am just curious as to how it was chosen.

I don't remember how it was formed- someone on the old thread wanted a way to quantify everything. I'm personally not a fan of it, but I posted it as some members were asking for it.

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Some people may not agree with this, but everyone is their own person. I am not going to say that I did not work harder than most of my friends (because my attention span is that of a flea and it takes so long to study through even one powerpoint) but I will say that giving up your life and friends and beating yourself up because you're not as good as Joe Shmo Gunner who sits in the front of microbio class is NOT the way to go.

My GPA is tough to remember because I have three different one through three different programs, and after it was summed up through AACOMAS I forget what was included and what wasn't after my master's program. If you really want to know I can go look it up? but it's around what I said it was.

Keep chugging everyone =)

Yeah, I agree. Equating being social with underdog stats is a little ridiculous. I'm sure there are a lot of applicants with non underdog stats that had social lives. Probably most, since EC's are a big part of the equation.:confused:
EC's are what make the applicant, so yes you're right. But I'm not equating underdog status with social lives. Just giving those kids who were like me some hope.

EC's are what make the applicant, so yes you're right. But I'm not equating underdog status with social lives. Just giving those kids who were like me some hope.
I think it was meant to convey that you seem to almost be "mocking" the admissions process that majority of people on this thread are trying to over come by working hard and being persistent.

Hello, this is the first time I felt comfortable enough to post on SDN. I have been reading for a long time, though.

I am taking my 2nd MCAT in 2 weeks (send me good vibes!) My average on the practice AAMC tests is a 26.8...I am crossing my fingers that will turn into a 27 on the real test! 8P, 10V and 8B

I am a Psychology Major and Bio Minor. My cGPA is a 3.59 and my sGPA is 3.31. My University awarded me with an Academic Achievement award through my department (psychology). I did research on Children's Memory for 2 years and presented a poster at a research symposium. I have tutored Introductory Chemistry and Organic Chemistry. Worked with children diagnosed with Autism for 3 years and I am a certified respite provider. For the past year, I have been working with elementary and school aged children helping them plan for college and giving high school students guidance on how to prepare for medical school. I have been volunteering at a literacy council when I have time. I have shadowed 4 doctors. 3 DOs one MD, one DO is definitely writing a great letter in my behalf. I was also an officer for a college club for a year and am part of other clubs in my university. I have worked throughout my college career, this is the first year I have only held one job!

I immigrated from Latin America when I was 12 years old and English is my second language (I am an American citizen)

So, from underdog to underdogs...what are my chances? Do you think I have a decent chance getting into a decent D.O. school?

Hello, this is the first time I felt comfortable enough to post on SDN. I have been reading for a long time, though.

I am taking my 2nd MCAT in 2 weeks (send me good vibes!) My average on the practice AAMC tests is a 26.8...I am crossing my fingers that will turn into a 27 on the real test! 8P, 10V and 8B

I am a Psychology Major and Bio Minor. My cGPA is a 3.59 and my sGPA is 3.31. My University awarded me with an Academic Achievement award through my department (psychology). I did research on Children's Memory for 2 years and presented a poster at a research symposium. I have tutored Introductory Chemistry and Organic Chemistry. Worked with children diagnosed with Autism for 3 years and I am a certified respite provider. For the past year, I have been working with elementary and school aged children helping them plan for college and giving high school students guidance on how to prepare for medical school. I have been volunteering at a literacy council when I have time. I have shadowed 4 doctors. 3 DOs one MD, one DO is definitely writing a great letter in my behalf. I was also an officer for a college club for a year and am part of other clubs in my university. I have worked throughout my college career, this is the first year I have only held one job!

I immigrated from Latin America when I was 12 years old and English is my second language (I am an American citizen)

So, from underdog to underdogs...what are my chances? Do you think I have a decent chance getting into a decent D.O. school?
26+ mcat and you have a great shot, but your AAMC average should not give you too much comfort since I was told that the real test is much harder than AAMC.

Thanks for your response!

I don't know if the AAMCS are accurate for everyone, but when I took my first test I scored pretty much what I had been scoring on the AAMCs. It was a pretty good predictor for me. I found the real thing to be very similar to the AAMC exams.

I scored 5 points lower on the real thing than my average. Must have just been a fluke though. Just kill it and in the month off you should get your app all ready (write your PS, ECs, etc)

I scored 5 points lower on the real thing than my average. Must have just been a fluke though. Just kill it and in the month off you should get your app all ready (write your PS, ECs, etc)

I am not sure. Mine were right on dot, I am pretty confident they will be accurate again. I am pretty good at simulating anxiety (I get nervous just taking practice exams, so the scores reflect nerves as well). The only part I see changing is VR as it is the most unpredictable.

My plan is to have everything sorted out in my month off so I can submit June 1st...then the waiting game shall continue...

Latin American makes you URM. If you get upper 20s you should even have a chance at MD. Good luck. Your ECs look great and your GPA for D.O is pretty good. Just focus on that MCAT and apply early.

Did a few edits to the front page today. :thumbup:

Latin American makes you URM. If you get upper 20s you should even have a chance at MD. Good luck. Your ECs look great and your GPA for D.O is pretty good. Just focus on that MCAT and apply early.

I believe you have to be Mexican or mainland puerto rican descent to be considered urm. (in addition to AA or native American)

I believe you have to be Mexican or mainland puerto rican descent to be considered urm. (in addition to AA or native American)

The AAMC definition of underrepresented in medicine is:

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/

Well I know people who are 1/8 Puerto Rican, dont speak a lick of spanish and used the URM status. I dont see why as a Latin America who immigrated I would definitely try to find small ties to a mexican heritage.

Quick question:

Is the URM status defined by ethnicity or country of origin?

For example, I'm from a Middle Eastern background, and my native nationality is Saudi Arabian. Am I considered Middle Eastern or Saudi Arabian?

Arabs are not considered underrepresented minorities, but according to the professionals-population ratio, Saudi Arabian are considered URM. What do you guys think?

Being a future underdog applicant, I could totally benefit from this.

I might be jumping the gun a bit here, but I figured I would come ask what is probably on the minds of many people. Is there any highly motivated individual out there who would be willing to create a new Underdog thread for the upcoming 2012-2013 cycle? (And please don't say me because I wouldn't even know where to begin :))

I would be happy to next week. We need to wait until AACOMAS is open anyway, and official GPA's can be calculated (per the instructions at the beginning of this fine thread).

I would be happy to next week. We need to wait until AACOMAS is open anyway, and official GPA's can be calculated (per the instructions at the beginning of this fine thread).

Ahh yeah that makes a lot of sense. I guess I'm just really anxious to jump into application season already haha. Thank you for taking the initiative! I think I honestly would've just done it myself if no one else stepped up. I'll definitely do what I can to help though. Now we wait on AACOMAS...

Ahh yeah that makes a lot of sense. I guess I'm just really anxious to jump into application season already haha. Thank you for taking the initiative! I think I honestly would've just done it myself if no one else stepped up. I'll definitely do what I can to help though. Now we wait on AACOMAS...
Ahhh yes the almighty AACOMAS.... I'll happily be a contributor to the non-traditional and underdog threads for the next cycle. Good luck everyone, let's continue to rock the house in terms of non-trads and underdogs.

my name is already on the front page but i never got around to posting here after getting accepted.

interviews: Touro NV, Touro NY and LMU-DCOM
Waitlist: Touro NY and LMU
Accepted: Touro NV

:)

Whoever decides to create the new thread, really make sure you can commit to keeping it updated daily if possible. It is a large task, especially September-December. I am hoping for continued underdog success for next year!

my name is already on the front page but i never got around to posting here after getting accepted.

interviews: Touro NV, Touro NY and LMU-DCOM
Waitlist: Touro NY and LMU
Accepted: Touro NV

:)

Got ya updated. :thumbup:

I guess I count as an underdog, but I haven't posted in this thread before.

Overall GPA- 3.46
Sci GPA - 3.3
MCAT - 26O

Plenty of ECs and 4 years working full time as a research assistant at Vanderbilt, Esoterix and then Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation.

I interviewed in early December at OSU-COM and was accepted.
I interviewed in January at the University of Oklahoma, but was rejected.

I received my acceptance at OSU-COM and did not finish filling out secondaries for the other 4 schools I applied to, becuase I was accepted to my first choice.

Whoever decides to create the new thread, really make sure you can commit to keeping it updated daily if possible. It is a large task, especially September-December. I am hoping for continued underdog success for next year!

Djack, I never meant to steal your thunder haha. If you'd be up to run the thread in the coming cycle again, that'd be awesome. Just figured it was quite some work to upkeep, wasn't sure how you felt.

Btw, I've been a lurker here for a while. I followed the Underdog thread for the entire previous cycle. You guys are an amazing and inspiring bunch. Let's beast it this next cycle underdogs!

Djack, I never meant to steal your thunder haha. If you'd be up to run the thread in the coming cycle again, that'd be awesome. Just figured it was quite some work to upkeep, wasn't sure how you felt.

Btw, I've been a lurker here for a while. I followed the Underdog thread for the entire previous cycle. You guys are an amazing and inspiring bunch. Let's beast it this next cycle underdogs!

Steal my thunder? Haha I don't want it next year. Plus, I'm still waitlisted at LMU so I obv. wouldn't have time to run it if I got in. If I don't get in, I am retaking my MCAT and may be a part of the new thread. If you (or whoever else) want it, have at it! I won't be doing it next year.

DJack, are you retaking the MCAT like in May so you can reapply this next cycle? Keep truckin!

Steal my thunder? Haha I don't want it next year. Plus, I'm still waitlisted at LMU so I obv. wouldn't have time to run it if I got in. If I don't get in, I am retaking my MCAT and may be a part of the new thread. If you (or whoever else) want it, have at it! I won't be doing it next year.
You have done a great job with that thread last cycle...I vote for you to start the one for the new cycle if you dont get in this cycle in LMU, but I am still rooting for to get in LMU.

You have done a great job with that thread last cycle...I vote for you to start the one for the new cycle if you dont get in this cycle in LMU, but I am still rooting for to get in LMU.

I don't think he wants to do the Underdog thread again (don't blame him). It seems like a ton of work... and seeing so many people get acceptances and you get none is like constant kicks to the face. :laugh: Somebody else should pick up the slack (not it).

But yes, great work DJack. Hoping you get in LMU, but if not... looks like you already have a plan ready for next cycle. Good for you. :thumbup: :)