The 3 second rule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urge

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you do CPR for 3 seconds, does it count or does the 3 second rule apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd even stretch it to 5 seconds. Kinda like your tires being stuck in the mud, just need a little push, you dont have to go call the tow truck and make a big production of it.

Ive started a few cases with chest compressions - each of them went fine (relatively)

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the three second rule was if you drop the yankauer on the floor for less than three seconds its ok to stick it in the mouth.

I think Urge is asking if 3 seconds of chest compressions should be documented as CPR which implies that you actually had a cardiac arrest and could come back to haunt you in the future from a legal point of view.
The answer is: Just document what you did don't elaborate and don't explain unnecessarily.
If you don't document it someone else will remember it and you Will look really bad in case of litigation.

that is one of the HUGE issues w/ anesthesia - you literally have 3 to 5 other people in the room that could potentially remember something you DIDN'T document.... so therefore, document EVERYTHING...

You know darn well the OR circulator is documenting it in the computer, right along with the times from the computer that probably don't match the big clock you're looking at while doing it...

I read a lawsuit recently about a doc that got dinged on the clock thing so I am sensitive to it. Stat section, OR nurses times don't match the anes record times by several minutes. Well in that several minutes it was argued were enough to cause a blue baby with CP, and lots of bucks and headache for everyone involved.

You know darn well the OR circulator is documenting it in the computer, right along with the times from the computer that probably don't match the big clock you're looking at while doing it...

I read a lawsuit recently about a doc that got dinged on the clock thing so I am sensitive to it. Stat section, OR nurses times don't match the anes record times by several minutes. Well in that several minutes it was argued were enough to cause a blue baby with CP, and lots of bucks and headache for everyone involved.

We've recently gone to the the radio-synchronized atomic clocks in our hospital. They're supposed to be everywhere in the hospital, but for sure they are in every patient room and OR in the L&D area, the regular OR's, and there is one with a giant digital display installed on every crash cart in the hospital.

Yeah, this is a huge issue, IMHO as well. I can't figure out why, in the 21st century, people can't get their clock times to match up. The atomic clock thing is a great idea.

-copro

P.S. I always ask the circulator for the times. In my book, what I see on my watch or my anesthesia machine is irrelevant. What that nurse puts in her chart is what I'm writing because, frankly, they're paying a lot more attention to the clock than I am... if you follow me. ;) I'm usually watching the patient. :cool:

P.S. I always ask the circulator for the times. In my book, what I see on my watch or my anesthesia machine is irrelevant. What that nurse puts in her chart is what I'm writing because, frankly, they're paying a lot more attention to the clock than I am... if you follow me. ;) I'm usually watching the patient. :cool:

Agreed. The case is over, I ask the nurse end times/out of room time, give her anesthesia end time, everybody's happy.

That's funny. They normally ask us for the times (we both chart in the same computer program). Except in OB, where the nurses are apparently the only ones capable of reading a digital clock.

I thought the three second rule was if you drop the yankauer on the floor for less than three seconds its ok to stick it in the mouth.

yeah that's what i thought! that's the true three second rule! lol

We've recently gone to the the radio-synchronized atomic clocks in our hospital. They're supposed to be everywhere in the hospital, but for sure they are in every patient room and OR in the L&D area, the regular OR's, and there is one with a giant digital display installed on every crash cart in the hospital.

how does that work with the times on your monitor? we go by the anesthesia clock for times, because that's what I end up charting my vitals from. the difference is usually only a minute but is as much as 8-10 in some rooms.