-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The 3 second rule
Started by urge
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'd even stretch it to 5 seconds. Kinda like your tires being stuck in the mud, just need a little push, you dont have to go call the tow truck and make a big production of it.
Ive started a few cases with chest compressions - each of them went fine (relatively)
Ive started a few cases with chest compressions - each of them went fine (relatively)
3 seconds isn't enough to really get anything moving, so no.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you do CPR for 3 seconds, does it count or does the 3 second rule apply?
A motivated person can break a lot of ribs in 3 seconds.
I thought the three second rule was if you drop the yankauer on the floor for less than three seconds its ok to stick it in the mouth.
I think Urge is asking if 3 seconds of chest compressions should be documented as CPR which implies that you actually had a cardiac arrest and could come back to haunt you in the future from a legal point of view.
The answer is: Just document what you did don't elaborate and don't explain unnecessarily.
If you don't document it someone else will remember it and you Will look really bad in case of litigation.
The answer is: Just document what you did don't elaborate and don't explain unnecessarily.
If you don't document it someone else will remember it and you Will look really bad in case of litigation.
You know darn well the OR circulator is documenting it in the computer, right along with the times from the computer that probably don't match the big clock you're looking at while doing it...
I read a lawsuit recently about a doc that got dinged on the clock thing so I am sensitive to it. Stat section, OR nurses times don't match the anes record times by several minutes. Well in that several minutes it was argued were enough to cause a blue baby with CP, and lots of bucks and headache for everyone involved.
I read a lawsuit recently about a doc that got dinged on the clock thing so I am sensitive to it. Stat section, OR nurses times don't match the anes record times by several minutes. Well in that several minutes it was argued were enough to cause a blue baby with CP, and lots of bucks and headache for everyone involved.
You know darn well the OR circulator is documenting it in the computer, right along with the times from the computer that probably don't match the big clock you're looking at while doing it...
I read a lawsuit recently about a doc that got dinged on the clock thing so I am sensitive to it. Stat section, OR nurses times don't match the anes record times by several minutes. Well in that several minutes it was argued were enough to cause a blue baby with CP, and lots of bucks and headache for everyone involved.
We've recently gone to the the radio-synchronized atomic clocks in our hospital. They're supposed to be everywhere in the hospital, but for sure they are in every patient room and OR in the L&D area, the regular OR's, and there is one with a giant digital display installed on every crash cart in the hospital.
I read a lawsuit recently about a doc that got dinged on the clock thing so I am sensitive to it. Stat section, OR nurses times don't match the anes record times by several minutes. Well in that several minutes it was argued were enough to cause a blue baby with CP, and lots of bucks and headache for everyone involved.
Yeah, this is a huge issue, IMHO as well. I can't figure out why, in the 21st century, people can't get their clock times to match up. The atomic clock thing is a great idea.
-copro
P.S. I always ask the circulator for the times. In my book, what I see on my watch or my anesthesia machine is irrelevant. What that nurse puts in her chart is what I'm writing because, frankly, they're paying a lot more attention to the clock than I am... if you follow me. 😉 I'm usually watching the patient. 😎
P.S. I always ask the circulator for the times. In my book, what I see on my watch or my anesthesia machine is irrelevant. What that nurse puts in her chart is what I'm writing because, frankly, they're paying a lot more attention to the clock than I am... if you follow me. 😉 I'm usually watching the patient. 😎
Agreed. The case is over, I ask the nurse end times/out of room time, give her anesthesia end time, everybody's happy.
That's funny. They normally ask us for the times (we both chart in the same computer program). Except in OB, where the nurses are apparently the only ones capable of reading a digital clock.
I thought the three second rule was if you drop the yankauer on the floor for less than three seconds its ok to stick it in the mouth.
yeah that's what i thought! that's the true three second rule! lol
We've recently gone to the the radio-synchronized atomic clocks in our hospital. They're supposed to be everywhere in the hospital, but for sure they are in every patient room and OR in the L&D area, the regular OR's, and there is one with a giant digital display installed on every crash cart in the hospital.
how does that work with the times on your monitor? we go by the anesthesia clock for times, because that's what I end up charting my vitals from. the difference is usually only a minute but is as much as 8-10 in some rooms.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad