The absurdity of stigma's

Started by SGU06
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SGU06

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a 4th year student at NYIT. I was originally planning on going to NYCOM, which is a US-Osteopathic school. When I did independent research on Osteopathic schools I found them to be very credible and a very good way of becoming a U.S. trained physician. I heard from people wanting to be DOs, people in DO school, and also from osteopaths that this a great thing to do. I knew there was a stigma attached to being a DO, but like them I didn't care all that much. I decided to persue a Caribbean MD not because of any DO related stigma but because I felt that all in all, the Caribbean MD route was better than the US DO route.

So now I began looking into Caribbean schools, and now it wasn't the 'DO' after your name that created the stigma but this wonderful new term called 'FMG', and the ever better 'US-FMG', which supposedly was worse. I looked into SGU, and was impressed immediately, and in may ways much more so than any other Osteopathic school I looked into. I learned that even though I did indeed think this was a better route, there was a stigma, real or imagined I do not know.

Nonetheless, I would still be proud to go this route. However, what motivated me to write this post was a recent post from someone patronizing primary care physicans, as if they had their very own stigma, and that they were somehow lesser doctors.

I thought are the same people that created the stigma around DO's, FMGs, US-FMGs, now creating one for Primary Care Physicians? I mean really, what better word is there than absurd to describe this.

What if I wanted to be a general surgeon? Maybe a bunch of neurosurgeons sitting around a dark room would be making fun of my hopefully mediocre self. Or maybe the specialists would be after me 😱

The absurdity of stigma people.

Lets send all of these stigma's straight to hell, and instead of bitching about them, lets talk about something foreign to many people. It's this seemingly obscure concept called 'Patient Care'. I don't know too many patients who know about the DO, FMG, US-FMG stigma, but I do know every patient knows the difference between a good doc and a bad one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm a first year DO student in the US. For what it's worth, I have a ton of respect for caribbean students. I have a good friend who went caribbean bc he didn't want to jump through hoops to get in here. He works harder than most people I go to school with, he's on his own for learning a lot, he's in a different country, and he has the added pressure of having to do really well on the USMLE to get a good residency. The motto at my school is 70 = DO. I think it takes a ton of determination to go the caribbean route. f*ck stigmas. be proud of yourself.
 
there has to come a time when you stop worrying about what others think of you. who really cares where you went to medical school? medicine is medicine. if you can look in the mirror and be proud of who you see, then screw the rest of them.

oh yeah, other people's opinions do matter when you go to match, don't they?

well, screw 'em anyway.
 
Hey guys,
The truth of the matter, unfortunately is that there exists a stigma attached to FMG's in the US. I am not an FMG but I respect the hell out of you guys, it shows a real desire to become a physician the fact that you are willing to go to another country, spend insane amounts of money and have unnecesary obstacles put in front of you in order to get a decent residency.
Dont listen to these people, all it does is show us all how insecure they really are. What can you say about a person who feels the need to badmouth other people in order to feel superior?
A friend of mine graduated Summa Cum Laude at a very good university but bombed the MCAT because of personal problems at the time of the exam. No one can tell me that one test (MCAT) will decide who will be a good physician. Those who do are just being arrogant and insecure.
Unfortunately for many people who are not good at taking standardized exams under pressure, US med schools decided that this one test is AS important as 4 or 5 years of accumulated GPA's and EC's.
For those of you who decided the being an FMG is the best route, good luck and keep going. Dont waste your time listening to these pigs talking trash in order to feel superior. In the end the ability to become great physicians lies not in one exam or GPA, but inside each of us.
 
SGU06 said:
but I do know every patient knows the difference between a good doc and a bad one.

👍 👍

you nailed it right on the spot. And we know the bads one are always linked to the trash talkers / haters
 
Hate to break it you guys, but medicine is about money and EGO. This "problem" will never go away. For so many people, medicine is a way to become somebody. These people feel like they have been pissed on their entire lives and feel that somehow being Dr. Pissant is going to be so much better than being plain, old Pissant. It's only natural that once they get a little status they are going to start looking around for their chance to piss on everyone else. Unfortunately for you, that is often FMGs, DOs and FP docs. Get used to it.

I know a lot of you are going to disagree with me, but I am right. Maybe some of the girls and the fairies really believed that crap they wrote on their application but for everyone else it's about money and ego. You think it's a coincidence med school is filled with short, socially challenged guys? Compensating folks, compensating.
 
Mr. Pretentious said:
Hate to break it you guys, but medicine is about money and EGO. This "problem" will never go away. For so many people, medicine is a way to become somebody. These people feel like they have been pissed on their entire lives and feel that somehow being Dr. Pissant is going to be so much better than being plain, old Pissant. It's only natural that once they get a little status they are going to start looking around for their chance to piss on everyone else. Unfortunately for you, that is often FMGs, DOs and FP docs. Get used to it.

I know a lot of you are going to disagree with me, but I am right. Maybe some of the girls and the fairies really believed that crap they wrote on their application but for everyone else it's about money and ego. You think it's a coincidence med school is filled with short, socially challenged guys? Compensating folks, compensating.

:laugh:

The whole world is about ego and dominance. There will always be a pecking order. But that is not in question.

The only thing in question is can you become a highly skilled and respected doctor despite the difficulty inherent in these alternative pathways. The answer is yes.
 
Mr. Pretentious said:
I know a lot of you are going to disagree with me, but I am right. Maybe some of the girls and the fairies really believed that crap they wrote on their application but for everyone else it's about money and ego. You think it's a coincidence med school is filled with short, socially challenged guys? Compensating folks, compensating.

Sheesh. Well, I am one of those "short guys" that you are talking about, who will be in medical school next year. 🙂 But I am hardly socially inept, nor am I doing this for "prestige and power"! LOL! And as far as med school being filled with short, socially challenged guys... unless you're about 6'6" or taller, I have no idea what you're talking about! :laugh: I see more "tall" guys in med school than short, to be sure!

Compensating? Sounds like someone (*coughYOUcough*) is compensating for his own small... :laugh: by dredging up social stereotypes based on physical characteristics.

And besides, I really could care less about pecking orders. I, like SkyPilot am an older student. I truly care only about becoming a doctor. I have worked extremely hard (am now finishing up an M.S.) and will do what it takes. In the end, it's going to be my patients and myself who benefit. So I guess you can count me in as one of those people who "really believed" the "crap" I wrote on my app.
 
Unless you go to Harvard Med, ace the USMLEs, are at the top of your class, and publicsed original articles in JAMA or NEJM there is always going to be someone looking down on you. It should not matter where you go to school but to some PDs it does. Neither the school you go to or the degree you have makes a good physician. What does? I am not sure but I will let you all know in a few years.
 
I really want to be a physician , and I try to ignore the stigma's, but I find myself bothored. Why!!!
I hate to admit it, but the fact is why couldn't I get into one of the prestigious med schools, why do I have to recieve rejections after rejections and turn to caribbean schools, I am glad they are there but one part of me is shameful that I must take this route because I didn't have the ability to perform as I would have like to during undergraduate years. I understand that other people may have had strenuous circumstances, but in my case, I simply am not the caliber of student that other students are. So, I use stigma's as a scapegoat to boost my self-esteem, as pathetic as that may sound. My penny's worth of advice is accept who you are and be honest with yourself, it becomes easier to deal with stigma's, obstacles and pressures. I don't mean to be a downer but this is the realization that I have come to, I look forward to becoming wiser with time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Farooq said:
My penny's worth of advice is accept who you are and be honest with yourself, it becomes easier to deal with stigma's, obstacles and pressures. I don't mean to be a downer but this is the realization that I have come to, I look forward to becoming wiser with time.

There's a quote. Life is a race. Sometimes your ahead. Somtimes your behind. In the end, it is with yourself.

What does it matter of how other people think? Yes, I do know it matters a lot, and I do care about what other people think about me. However, I am with myself 24/7. My mind is speaking to me when it is conscious. My mind is active, and it is my own mind and thoughts that matters. There will always be those who are more superior, prideful, better, and egotistical no matter where we go. If we become a GP, there will be spcialist that looks down. If we become a specialist, there will be MD/PhD that will belittle another. Then the MD's will belittle the MD/PhD for not having the clinical aspect.

It's sad that people are this way. I believe, for the majority (not everyone of course), that the people who are most prideful and belittle the other's the most belittle's themselves the most. They are truly their own enemy. They wished they accomplished more and no matter how much they have done; it doesn't feel enough. During the wee morning hours, or the moments before sleep, they process and they feel small about themselves. I do not believe that anyone can deeply/honestly feel good and genuine about themselves if they are constantly belittling another individual. Good luck to all, and may this world be a better place.