The All MGH Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mindy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I guess it must be that time of year 'cause I have been getting a lot of emails and PMs inquiring about MGH!

Feel free to PM or post questions here, and I will try to check back frequently in the next few days.

Maybe I'll see some of you in San Antonio!

Good Luck everyone...

Mindy

Members don't see this ad.

I know one thing people want to know is how the program has changed over the past couple of years. When I applied last year they were taking 8 or 9 first years. I think less this year though.

yaah said:
I think less this year though.
The NRMP website says that the MGH quota is now equal to 6. I was warned by a resident there that the number would be lower this year than last year. I never bothered to follow up that question with a "Why?"

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
The NRMP website says that the MGH quota is now equal to 6. I was warned by a resident there that the number would be lower this year than last year. I never bothered to follow up that question with a "Why?"

Why do you say "warned"?

PathProspect said:
Why do you say "warned"?

warned meaning this:

decreased # spots

decrease chance of getting in

bad for all of us.

Here's my MGH question, Mindy. Speaking for the single folks, do residents have time to pursue romantic relationships, etc., while at MGH? How are people's relationships affected by the hours required? This isn't my top priority when evaluating programs, obviously, but I did get a sense that residents at MGH were spending more of their free time in the hospital to stay on top of their workload than at other places I visited.

Free time??? Why do you assume that you'll have free time as a resident? :)
Feel free to romance a Spitz Nevus or a Basal Cell Carcinoma... Don't worry, they're not the malignant types you can otherwise risk running into on the Singles Scene... *ROTFL*

Hi all!

1) (Yaah; Andy; Path) The quota IS less this year-- this is because we accepted a bolus of residents last year because we were finally able to prove to the ACGME (or HCFA or whoever) that our resident numbers were too low to get the work done in the ACGME time frame. Now we are rounding out the number to what it should be. Now we have an awesome (and happy) group of pathologist assistants, a bunch of residents, and super-commitment to ACGME rules (<80hrs/wk, >10 hrs of each night). This means that while work hours are still long compared to many smaller programs, they probably compare fairly well with many other large academic path programs.

2) Vet: we at MGH (believe it or not) do party quite a bit. For example one of our "new" couples (who met at MGH, and not both docs and now live together) through a new year party. Two weeks later my husband and his non-physician work crew got together with some pathology residents and had a poker fundraiser for the American Red Cross. In between we all socialize. Boston is a hot town, with lots of young professionals. There is no problem having romance time (though in your first couple months, you will be overwhelmed because things are new and fresh--and at that time you will commiserate and get to know your fellow residents, including numerous social events. Plus, being an MGH doc living in Beacon Hill gives you supercool status from the get-go ;)

What else?

Mindy

Mindy said:
Hi all!

1) (Yaah; Andy; Path) The quota IS less this year-- this is because we accepted a bolus of residents last year because we were finally able to prove to the ACGME (or HCFA or whoever) that our resident numbers were too low to get the work done in the ACGME time frame. Now we are rounding out the number to what it should be. Now we have an awesome (and happy) group of pathologist assistants, a bunch of residents, and super-commitment to ACGME rules (<80hrs/wk, >10 hrs of each night). This means that while work hours are still long compared to many smaller programs, they probably compare fairly well with many other large academic path programs.

2) Vet: we at MGH (believe it or not) do party quite a bit. For example one of our "new" couples (who met at MGH, and not both docs and now live together) through a new year party. Two weeks later my husband and his non-physician work crew got together with some pathology residents and had a poker fundraiser for the American Red Cross. In between we all socialize. Boston is a hot town, with lots of young professionals. There is no problem having romance time (though in your first couple months, you will be overwhelmed because things are new and fresh--and at that time you will commiserate and get to know your fellow residents, including numerous social events. Plus, being an MGH doc living in Beacon Hill gives you supercool status from the get-go ;)

What else?

Mindy

Mindy...who is "cooler" in NE Path community BWH residents or MGHers? ....just curious what'd you say

LADoc00 said:
Mindy...who is "cooler" in NE Path community BWH residents or MGHers? ....just curious what'd you say

Hi LA:

Actually, the BW path (and other) folks I know are very nice and cool in their own right. Unfortunately MGH and Brigham do not have nearly the contact you would expect. I think there is a certain regionalism--if you live near Brigham you probably hear more about it. The west end of Boston is all MGH. Different strokes... But you are connected somehow to the Boston area, and know this anyway, right?

MGH really sits in the heart of Boston, and Beacon Hill is an AWESOME area to live in (small and unaffordable housing, but its a trade-off to the live in such a great locale.) Living in Boston now makes me want to be a Boston-lifer. Location-wise, I think it is hands-down MGH.

As far as academics go, both MGH and Brigham are exceptional. You start to appreciate that more when you realize that your attendings teach pathology courses all over the world regularly.

Mindy

Hi, Mindy,

Could you please describe what a typical day on service (ie. Surgical Pathology) at the MGH is like?

Briggsie said:
Hi, Mindy,

Could you please describe what a typical day on service (ie. Surgical Pathology) at the MGH is like?

Sure:

8:00am to ~11:30am: Sign-out
11:30-12:30pm: Order stains, scut/clean-up, preview "outs" (see next), lunch, gossip, free-time.
12:30pm-1:30pm: Surgical pathology OUTs (unknown) conference (10 cases a day)
1:30-2:30pm: Didatic Lecture or scope session (generally first years)
2:30-7:00pm: Grossing is usually done in this block of time. Efficiency and number of specimens dictates how much time it takes. On "heavy rotations" expect to spend most of this time grossing. On light rotations, much less.
4:00pm: Slides start coming out.
7:00pm (latest) to 10:00pm (latest): Slide previewing
[[Disclaimer: these numbers are placed to show the longest possible hours spent at the hospital on weekdays, not implying that this is how late you are always at the hospital. And remember, that with the rarest of exceptions, you are home every night as a pathologist, and that your weekends are nearly free. And because I know you are going to ask, I spent about half of my first year weekdays at work until 10:00pm--but I am a slow slide previewer, and most of my colleagues were gone well before me. I also would eat dinner at home with my husband for an hour or two almost evert night, and then go back to work.]]]

This is the schedule that surg path revolves around, at least in the first year.

Good Luck!

Mindy

Hmmm...this is actually very similar to our room I surgicals month. Except didactics/slide sessions are at 8am (and once a week at 5pm). Start and finish times basically the same otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
Hmmm...this is actually very similar to our room I surgicals month. Except didactics/slide sessions are at 8am (and once a week at 5pm). Start and finish times basically the same otherwise.
yeah, recently MGH wasn't the hell it used to be from what I hear.

AndyMilonakis said:
yeah, recently MGH wasn't the hell it used to be from what I hear.

SSSHHHHHHHH... we like the rep!

;)

Mindy

Hi. Just wonder if anyone received a letter from MGH saying that they are interested in you kind of stuff. I liked the program and am thinking of putting it on the top of my ROL. Not sure if the like is mutual, though.

jakew said:
Hi. Just wonder if anyone received a letter from MGH saying that they are interested in you kind of stuff. I liked the program and am thinking of putting it on the top of my ROL. Not sure if the like is mutual, though.
Yes I received a letter not to long ago saying that I was in the top tier (whatever that means). I have a hunch that they send this to a bunch of people but maybe I'm wrong. This whole Match thing is a game and a play of words.

Perhaps this should be phrased in a form of a question for Mindy...so how many people really DO get this letter? (you don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable doing so :) )

Good for you, Andy. Was it a formal letter?

I also received this letter referring to the "top tier." It also went on to list a bunch of positive aspects of the program which made it sound very "form letter-ish." However, then it was hand-signed by the chair, the PD, and the assistant PD which makes you think/hope they didn't send it to a lot of people. It is very unclear how many people get this letter, but now we know of at least two.

jakew said:
Good for you, Andy. Was it a formal letter?
Yes it was jake. It was a letter basically outlining some of the major changes and improvements to the program over the past few years accompanied by a list of contact info (i.e., resident emails) just in case we had any questions.

Regardless of receiving this letter, I do know that I am not ranked to match at MGH.

Hi, guys. I also received a letter from MGH somewhat different from what you guys got. They did not mention anything about the "top tier". They did say, however, that they "underscore" their interest in my application and hope that I will rank them on the top of my ROL. It was also signed by the chair, PD and associate PD. I am not sure what it means.

Mindy, can you help us out a bit? ;)

Some observations I made about the MGH competition.

BWH Checklist:
Close to Harvard med/Library
Has Au Bon Pain downstairs from Path (mmm fresh bagels with crusted cinnamon and sugar)<----BEST REASON
Has cozy couch in residents room for sleeping (or at least did)
Is close to BID allowing some interaction and occasional teasing
Is close to Boston Childrens
Has a food court across the street with a cool gym! For those "hey, I need a smoothie asap" moments in the middle of the day<----2nd Best reason
Has a Starbucks accross the street in enemy terrority (BID lobby), making each esspresso an exciting James Bond-like adventure
Free pizza on neuropath (not sure if they do this anymore)
Has scary Boston-style high rise apartment complexes within walking distance
Is located in an area teeming with cute 20 something business type chicks occasionally impressed by your "Yeah Im a physician at Haarvaad" comments.

Briggsie said:
I also received this letter referring to the "top tier." It also went on to list a bunch of positive aspects of the program which made it sound very "form letter-ish." However, then it was hand-signed by the chair, the PD, and the assistant PD which makes you think/hope they didn't send it to a lot of people. It is very unclear how many people get this letter, but now we know of at least two.
I got a "top tier" letter, too. For me, top tier = one of our top candidates = good, but who knows what it means? I'm done psycho-analyzing program comments. Whatever happens, happens and I'll be happy.

BTW, Andy - why would you think MGH isn't going to rank you highly? PM me if you want. I'd think that a gunner like you must be uber-competitive for a spot there. :rolleyes:

Hey Briggsie - is your name a reflection of your top choice? I guess your top tier status at MGH is probably reflected at the Brigham as well. Do they send out such letters, too?

geddy said:
BTW, Andy - why would you think MGH isn't going to rank you highly? PM me if you want. I'd think that a gunner like you must be uber-competitive for a spot there. :rolleyes:

Hey Briggsie - is your name a reflection of your top choice? I guess your top tier status at MGH is probably reflected at the Brigham as well. Do they send out such letters, too?
I'm just insecure about this whole process geddy, that's all. I will PM you regarding MGH and Brigham.

geddy said:
I got a "top tier" letter, too. For me, top tier = one of our top candidates = good, but who knows what it means? I'm done psycho-analyzing program comments. Whatever happens, happens and I'll be happy.

Hey geddy -My name is not related to the Brigham. I do not know of any letter(s) sent out by the Brigham - good question though.

The only letter I got from MGH was an email from the associate program director saying "I would be very pleased if the match were to bring you here in July." It was definitely not a form letter because it made mention of some personal interests of mine. But there was no mention of how I would be ranked. So what does that mean, that one person I interviewed with liked me? I guess if I was "top tier" like some of you guys they would have told me so. I wish I could get a little more reassurance so that I could recover from my trichotillomania.

Also, do you think I'm making a terrible mistake by ranking BID above MGH? (I've definitely gotten no love from them, BTW.)

LADoc00 said:
Some observations I made about the MGH competition.

BWH Checklist:
Has scary Boston-style high rise apartment complexes within walking distance
Is located in an area teeming with cute 20 something business type chicks occasionally impressed by your "Yeah Im a physician at Haarvaad" comments.

Is there something unusual about Boston high rise apartments? (I don't know, I've never lived there)

Last edited:
Logos' said:
I did not interview at MGH but in regards to the BWH question, all I have received is a recent email of the "we would love to have you match here" type and inviting me to call with questions.
we probably got the same email. they just drew our name out of the hat at different times.

You know what bugged me the most about both MGH and the Brigham? The short coats. When I get my MD, I am want the longest white coat I can find - like a wizard's coat, man. Besides, I'm tall, and I hate nancing around in those tiny things.

OK, that's all - rant over. Is it the 23rd yet?

geddy said:
You know what bugged me the most about both MGH and the Brigham? The short coats. When I get my MD, I am want the longest white coat I can find - like a wizard's coat, man. Besides, I'm tall, and I hate nancing around in those tiny things.

We're going into pathology! Screw the white coats...well unless you're gonna see patients during the blood bank rotation.

I'm being sarcastic and this is an oversimplification. But whereas most other clinical medicine fields involve you wearing white coats all the time, pathology requires less wearing of any white coat, long or short.

caffeinegirl said:
Less than 24 hours until it's out of my hands, and into a machine's....
everybody should pour themselves their beverage of choice and we shall all raise our glasses at 9 pm EST tomorrow.

Hi Everyone!

No worries, everything will work out fine for you guys. In any case, the distributed letters do indeed mean what they say. We don't send out "fooled you"-type letters.

We wear short coats here (when we wear them.) I wear scrubs on AP and normal clothes on CP (except for bloodbank, which is the only required white coat time.)

Like Brigham, we have a gym around the corner that is in part subsidized by MGH, our share of high-rises, and good food all nearby! The best part, though is being right on the esplanade (you'll come to know it well) and near the harbor... BEAUTIFUL!

Can't wait to see some of you here!

Mindy

Mindy said:
Hi Everyone!

No worries, everything will work out fine for you guys. In any case, the distributed letters do indeed mean what they say. We don't send out "fooled you"-type letters.
Thanks so much Mindy. I was discussing this with another person yesterday and we came to this conclusion too.

geddy said:

I am thouroughly amused, given that long white coats are traditionally considered less prestigious than short ones. :laugh:

Mindy said:
Hi Everyone!

We wear short coats here (when we wear them.) I wear scrubs on AP and normal clothes on CP (except for bloodbank, which is the only required white coat time.)

Like Brigham, we have a gym around the corner that is in part subsidized by MGH, our share of high-rises, and good food all nearby! The best part, though is being right on the esplanade (you'll come to know it well) and near the harbor... BEAUTIFUL!

Can't wait to see some of you here!

Mindy

But you dont have an Au Bon Pain inside the hospital...that is key.

geddy said:
Besides, I'm tall, and I hate nancing around in those tiny things.

Almost. How tall? :horns:

For what it's worth, and from an outsider's perspective, I think Path at BWH has moved more in recent years than MGH. In certain, but certainly not all, subspecs I'd clearly prefer BWH over MGH.
Still, agree that MGH is in a nicer location, and is obviously one of the Great Institutions in Med America.

Bottom line: BOTH are truly excellent, and either will be great to do a residency in. (regardless of white coat length). Best of luck to all who applied.

stormjen said:
Almost. How tall? :horns:
6'2" or 6'3", but I weight like 155 lbs on a good day (150 on a bad day :) ) For my rotations 3rd and 4th year, I actually have worn a coat that's half-way between a shorty and a wizard's coat. No one has said a word to me.

For what it's worth, I was totally kidding about the coat length at MGH. It just seemed strange to see the physicians at one of the best hospitals in the country dressed like med students - it just felt a little weird to me.

bananaface said:
I am thouroughly amused, given that long white coats are traditionally considered less prestigious than short ones. :laugh:
Really? I've never heard this, before. Can you explain a little more?

geddy said:
Really? I've never heard this, before. Can you explain a little more?
you really don't want her to. she's been drinking again. (just kidding banana)

AndyMilonakis said:
no way dude, you're way taller than that. try like 6'8" or 6'11".
Aahh... don't let my bony frame fool you into thinking I'm taller, my friend. I'm just really skinny. I once was told by a girl that I was too skinny to date because I made her feel fat, although she was in no way a large person. Of course, she may have just been freaked out by my superfluous third nipple, cow-shaped birthmark, or small feet. (reference anyone?)

At one of my interviews, there was another applicant there that day, who was taller than me. He must have been 6'6". It was kind of odd - I rarely have to look up to anyone, and my extraocular muscles had trouble adjusting.

geddy said:
Aahh... don't let my bony frame fool you into thinking I'm taller. At one of my interviews, there was another applicant there that day, who was taller than me. He must have been 6'6". It was kind of odd - I rarely have to look up to anyone, and my neck had trouble adjusting.
where was this? i bet i know who you're talking about :laugh:

since i'm short, the few really really tall people i met on the interview trail tend to stick in my memory chip.

geddy said:
I once was told by a girl that I was too skinny to date because I made her feel fat, although she was in no way a large person.
Funny. I've never had this problem.
geddy said:
Of course, she may have just been freaked out by my superfluous third nipple, cow-shaped birthmark, or small feet. (reference anyone?)
nice...i believe you are referencing a simpson's (was it krusty the clown?)

AndyMilonakis said:
nice...i believe you are referencing a simpson's (was it krusty the clown?)
Ahh.. too easy :)