The All MGH Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mindy said:
Like Brigham, we have a gym around the corner that is in part subsidized by MGH, our share of high-rises, and good food all nearby! The best part, though is being right on the esplanade (you'll come to know it well) and near the harbor... BEAUTIFUL!

Can't wait to see some of you here!

Mindy

Hi Mindy,

I am interested in both MGH and BWH and will apply to both, but I had a few quick questions about cost of living. I'm a midwesterner so I am used to living by myself in a pretty nice one bedroom for a reasonable cost, walking to work, and driving most everywhere else. :D

In the areas around BWH/MGH, is it possible to get a reasonable one bedroom on your salary? Do most folks take mass transit to work? Also, do most folks have a car (does it cost a lot to park it somewhere?)

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to define reasonable! Reasonable in Boston terms is probably closer towards $1000 to $1500 per month for a one bedroom. You can generally find places in Boston that are affordable - perhaps not directly in the area of BWH but I know lots of residents can live in the Fenway area which is a few blocks away. Cars in Boston are nasty. The fees you have to pay to keep a car in a lot are pretty steep (hundreds per month) although if you find the right place to live you can often get a spot for less along with it. Public transport in Boston is OK, but not the greatest, it shuts down at about midnight if I remember right (at least, the subway does).