The Ap Program At Cms Has Changed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mperor said:
Looks like you guys are getting some more information. And it looks like the major core of the program isn't changing. Hopefully just some of the grad classes (I'm not a fan of the current AP classes).

Yea, the most important aspect of the program is the 3.0 though.

Members don't see this ad.

alright all u die hard AP-program applicants, what is your new program of choice if RF does away with their little guarantee? lets say they give us a vague statement like "our linkage will not be as strong as before." will u risk it at RF or head to another SMP. georgetown is beginning to look mighty inviting.

markboonya said:
alright all u die hard AP-program applicants, what is your new program of choice if RF does away with their little guarantee? lets say they give us a vague statement like "our linkage will not be as strong as before." will u risk it at RF or head to another SMP. georgetown is beginning to look mighty inviting.

I wouldn't apply to RFU. I would go to the osteopathic schools I was accepted at and would be very happy. They were all awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:
I wouldn't apply to RFU. I would go to the osteopathic schools I was accepted at and would be very happy. They were all awesome.
which schools were u accepted too and which one are u planning to attend. congrats on ur acceptances btw.

As an insider (Im a current M1), I must say that the changes were not as drastic as people were saying. There were certainly alot of rumors going around. (ie, only the top 25% would continue to M1 year, that the AP program was being abolished altogether, etc).

Well, I guess in a sense the 'AP' program is gone, since this one has a different name or whatever, but its basically the same degree and it doesnt seem like the guarantee is gone either. Most of yall should have nothing to worry about.

markboonya said:
which schools were u accepted too and which one are u planning to attend. congrats on ur acceptances btw.

I am planning to go to DMU as of right now. I have one allopathic interview in three weeks so I'll see how that pans out. To be honest, I don't really care about whether I have a DO or MD I just think the MD is better suited for what I eventually want to do (health policy).

USArmyDoc said:
I have been accepted to four osteopathic schools. However, I believe we spoke before that my goals might be better suited with a MD.

Yea, congrats. :thumbup: Goodluck.

Any more information on the program?

Does anyone have any idea about how many people apply to the AP program each year? How many people are accepted? Which is more competitive to get into RFU AP or GT SMP?

NRAI2001 said:
Does anyone have any idea about how many people apply to the AP program each year? How many people are accepted? Which is more competitive to get into RFU AP or GT SMP?

I am guessing but I think that the GT is more competitive. I think around 450 apply for the AP class of 80.

USArmyDoc said:
I am guessing but I think that the GT is more competitive. I think around 450 apply for the AP class of 80.

I think their class size is usually around 130?

NRAI2001 said:
I think their class size is usually around 130?

130 sounds a little high but if thats true its better for us.

ohoh, their application downloadd page has been updated. i last checked like 3 weeks ago, and it just said that the application wont be out until december. now it says:

The Applied Physiology program is no longer accepting new applications. Current RFUMS Applied Physiology students may request academic direction from the Program Director by making an appointment at 847 578-8604.

Prospective students may wish to review other professional or pre-health programs offered by the University by visiting the Admissions Website, emailing Graduate Admissions or calling 847 578-3209.

no longer accepting new applications...well, i guess they are really really revamping the program like someone has mentioned. the official death of the beloved AP program. i should start getting serious about my DO apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
markboonya said:
ohoh, their application downloadd page has been updated. i last checked like 3 weeks ago, and it just said that the application wont be out until december. now it says:

The Applied Physiology program is no longer accepting new applications. Current RFUMS Applied Physiology students may request academic direction from the Program Director by making an appointment at 847 578-8604.

Prospective students may wish to review other professional or pre-health programs offered by the University by visiting the Admissions Website, emailing Graduate Admissions or calling 847 578-3209.

no longer accepting new applications...well, i guess they are really really revamping the program like someone has mentioned. the official death of the beloved AP program. i should start getting serious about my DO apps.

Hasn't this been established?..lol....They are switching it to the Health Professions. ;)

I was surfing the RFU website and they posted information about the MS. in Biomedical Sciences. Here is the link:

http://66.99.255.20/admissions/chp/bms.cfm

There is much yet but they said it will be available in early February.

alirght, a new linky. i hope their FAQ is comprehensive.

USArmyDoc said:
130 sounds a little high but if thats true its better for us.

It is between 85 and 100. When I went through it there were like 70 or so the year before it was even smaller.

EctopicFetus said:
It is between 85 and 100. When I went through it there were like 70 or so the year before it was even smaller.

Yea, thats what I thought. I knew 130 sounded a little high.

Any news on this? I have been calling them every week and they say that it is still under review... Shady :confused:

So what do you guys think? caribbean schools or post-baccalaureate?

Post Bac man.. Carib guys have it hard to get a residency IMO, go DO they have better match lists than the Caribs..

sasoor said:
Any news on this? I have been calling them every week and they say that it is still under review... Shady :confused:

There are caribbean forums here, and links to others so you can chat with people who actually attend school in the caribbean and get the real story, rather than making decisions based on blanket statements from those who do not attend school in the caribbean.

EctopicFetus said:
Post Bac man.. Carib guys have it hard to get a residency IMO, go DO they have better match lists than the Caribs..

Agreed. I am going DO if my allopathic stuff doesn't work out.

EctopicFetus said:

Sundarban do you disagree with the above statement?

sasoor said:

I considered going carribean or DO, but that was only if I didnt get into any SMP programs. If I dont get into any SMPs this year, i might reapply for SMPs again the next year and if still not, then carrib. or DO. They would have a tougher time getting top residencies, but you could over come many barriers with extra hard work (extra bc you ll have to get better grades and score than the US MDs for certain residencies).

NRAI2001 said:
I considered going carribean or DO, but that was only if I didnt get into any SMP programs. If I dont get into any SMPs this year, i might reapply for SMPs again the next year and if still not, then carrib. or DO. They would have a tougher time getting top residencies, but you could over come many barriers with extra hard work (extra bc you ll have to get better grades and score than the US MDs for certain residencies).

While I admit that it is sometimes harder for DO's to get into more competitive residencies, I really think it depends on where you are. In NY, there are SO many DO's in some really competitive specialties (e.g. Plastics, ortho, optho).

USArmyDoc said:

400 or so apply and about 100 matriculate....that doesnt mean that only 100 got in...im sure the number is way higher than that

There are a fair number of DOs who are in conpetitive fields the thing is I would be very very surprised if any DOs matched into the allopathic programs for Derm, Neurosurg, Rad Onc, or Combined Plastics, same for ENT and Ophtho. If there were more than 5 total DOs per yr in all these allopathic residencies I would be surprised.

Now to be fair, DOs have their own programs in these fields and I have no clue how competitive they are.

Some fields like EM, Gas, Surg etc which I would consider to be of average competitiveness are very much open to DOs from what I understand. I only really know about EM since thats what I am going into.

Obviously things like FP, IM, Peds are there for the taking for anyone who graduates from a US med school.

And if you are gonna find some people.. lets talk currently.. ok.. like in the last 5 years..

Also Urology is basically impossible too.

From the NRMP.. Here are the # of available spots for DOs.. in the fields mentioned above..

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table1_05.pdf

All figures are approx.
Derm - 310
Neurosurg - 50 (not on that sheet though?)
Rad Onc - 140

But to be fair I doubt any Carib grads get these spots either. For my money, if it were my kid and the choice were DO or Carib, I would go DO..

EctopicFetus said:
Also Urology is basically impossible too.

From the NRMP.. Here are the # of available spots for DOs.. in the fields mentioned above..

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table1_05.pdf

All figures are approx.
Derm - 310
Neurosurg - 50 (not on that sheet though?)
Rad Onc - 140

But to be fair I doubt any Carib grads get these spots either. For my money, if it were my kid and the choice were DO or Carib, I would go DO..

Ectopic....I can only speak from personal experience and as we know that is not the most reliable source. A personal friend who graduated from NYCOM is matched into optho and is now doing all the major surgeries in the area. I also know someone who matched into urology but I can't tell you when. I am speaking as a person from NY. I think NY tends to be very DO friendly. Also, I was told by the president and vice-president of NYS Medical Society that they know DO's in all fields. The president even went as far as to tell me that if I got into a MD school and NYCOM, I should put serious consideration in going to NYCOM. Personally, I would go to the allopathic school but I am just passing that along.

Also Ectopic, you have any information regarding the new biomedical science programs at RFU? Thanks and I hope you have a great new year man!

Sorry no info. I will be participating in a school-wide strategy meeting at the end of this month. If I learn anything then I will let you know.

BTW, I dont doubt there are people in those fields my point is more that many of the DOs likely trained in DO programs and not allopathic programs. I know you are still pre med so I dont know if you are aware but the way things work is that there are basically two types of residencies.

MDs can only apply to "allopathic" residencies they are not allowed to join the Osteo match. DOs on the other hand have access to both of these spots in theory.

Many DOs will tell you that there are def some programs who wont even interview DOs, people on the EM board were discussing this earlier. Now to be fair there are programs at certain hospitals (Northwestern) that really dont interview CMS people.

Just an example of the above, I am originally from Miami, and there is not an Allo EM program, there is however a DO Em program. I can not apply to this program.. Sorry if you already knew this I just wanted to make sure this way clear.

EctopicFetus said:
Sorry no info. I will be participating in a school-wide strategy meeting at the end of this month. If I learn anything then I will let you know.

BTW, I dont doubt there are people in those fields my point is more that many of the DOs likely trained in DO programs and not allopathic programs. I know you are still pre med so I dont know if you are aware but the way things work is that there are basically two types of residencies.

MDs can only apply to "allopathic" residencies they are not allowed to join the Osteo match. DOs on the other hand have access to both of these spots in theory.

Many DOs will tell you that there are def some programs who wont even interview DOs, people on the EM board were discussing this earlier. Now to be fair there are programs at certain hospitals (Northwestern) that really dont interview CMS people.

Just an example of the above, I am originally from Miami, and there is not an Allo EM program, there is however a DO Em program. I can not apply to this program.. Sorry if you already knew this I just wanted to make sure this way clear.

Thanks man! In regards to RFU, I emailed them but they did not answer my questions and said that information would be sent to me when it would be ready. I think it would be real nice of them to get their act together and let us know.

I know. Sometimes thing get done before the new plan is ready..sorry man. Good luck.

EctopicFetus said:

hey ectopic:
that's interesting news -- do you know of which programs or hospitals don't interview CMS grads for residencies? And why not? I had a look at their match list and there must've been 10 odd students who got placed within the Northwestern McGaw Center, and one of them in opthamology...

klause said:
hey ectopic:
that's interesting news -- do you know of which programs or hospitals don't interview CMS grads for residencies? And why not? I had a look at their match list and there must've been 10 odd students who got placed within the Northwestern McGaw Center, and one of them in opthamology...
I think he means Caribbean

klause said:
hey ectopic:

No I did mean CMS. I am currently an ms4.. For example I cant remember the last time we had someone place into their Peds, Surgery or EM programs. Believe me I know people who applied.. Oh BTW I am good friends with the guy who matched Ophtho there :) I know we had people last year go there for Gas, one or so per yr into IM and a few others..

For the record UIC doesnt take CMS people into their EM program either, but to be fair they have a rep of taking many of their own.

Klause, the programs that dont take CMSers are hard to say because it really really varies by specialties. At NW for example they run Childrens Memorial in Chicago which is a top notch peds hospital. I have met Peds residents (at another hospital) who when interviewed there was told you know we dont really interview people from your school (not CMS but another midwest school) and this is basically a courtesy. I guess the guy interviewing him was rude so the guy just left.

This isnt uncommon in the field, sometimes this is done because a school has a rep for various things. One of the common reasons schools get blackballed is because people are impolite or just rude, this DOES reflect on the school (we wont argue if it is right or wrong) during the interview process.

Well i hope I answered some of these Qs..

BTW last yr was the exception. I believe before they took the IM resident last yr the last time was 3 years ago. (pre available results). I knew that resident as well. I am just saying these things happen.. chances are it happens everywhere, i just wanted to make you guys aware.. I have heard similar things about other specialties from my friends and certain programs..