The "applying at 9 AM ET sharp" myth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fenster

Call me Fred
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that we are past the magical deadline, I guess I can safely post this without ruining anyone's chances in the match! So, I had read numerous forum posts on the vast internet claiming that we should apply to all the programs at 9 AM sharp because the program directors' software sorts the application by time received and programs, especially those that get hundreds of applications, set a limit to the number they would review (say 1000) and if you applied later (even on the same day), you risk being never reviewed.

I would like to get this myth debunked once and for all. What do you guys think? Does the claim above make any sense at all?

Members don't see this ad.

The program directors who post here say that they sort the applications after receiving batch downlaods but before reviewing - could be sorted by step scores, or by alphabetical order of last name - but this time stamp thing you are asking about is an urban legend I have never heard before and do not believe for a minute.

The program directors who post here say that they sort the applications after receiving batch downlaods but before reviewing - could be sorted by step scores, or by alphabetical order of last name - but this time stamp thing you are asking about is an urban legend I have never heard before and do not believe for a minute.

Both aPD (IM PD) and mcl (PC, not sure of specialty) have said that the time stamp exists but that apps don't get sorted/filtered/categorized by it. It's of academic curiosity at most. It's basically a way to track the increasing neuroticism of med students over time.

It's only a date -- I can't see a time at all. So this is complete urban bunk.

And as mentioned, I can sort the applications in any order I want. The default sort is by last name, so I would have to change it to date applied to see it that way.

It's only a date -- I can't see a time at all. So this is complete urban bunk.

And as mentioned, I can sort the applications in any order I want. The default sort is by last name, so I would have to change it to date applied to see it that way.
Would PDs really do that? (ie: is making a conscious effort to sort by date applied commonly done by PDs in your opinion/experience)?

Would PDs really do that? (ie: is making a conscious effort to sort by date applied commonly done by PDs in your opinion/experience)?

I guess by default I sort by alphabet and date applied. I downloaded this morning and will sort those applications alphabetically until I'm done with the list. I'll download again first thing tomorrow morning, but I won't start reviewing those applicants until I'm done with the first list. It takes a couple of days to fully catch up, but I'll get there by the end of the week. By the time my selection committee begins next week, the comparative strength of the application will be all that matters.

By the time my selection committee begins next week, the comparative strength of the application will be all that matters.

This is probably a naive question but could you explain the rationale behind the selection committee at your program reviewing the applications before the MSPE gets released? Wouldn't they have to re-download (and reprint and reorganize) all the applications on October 1st again?

This is probably a naive question but could you explain the rationale behind the selection committee at your program reviewing the applications before the MSPE gets released? Wouldn't they have to re-download (and reprint and reorganize) all the applications on October 1st again?

Sure. Some of the applications we receive are strong enough that we don't feel we need the Dean's Letter to determine whether or not we'd like to offer an interview. AOA, Gold Humanism, B+ or better (or its equivalent) clerkship grade in our specialty, LoRs that use superlative language, etc. The selection committee get those applications first, without the Dean's letter, and it won't take them long to discuss/affirm the decision to invite. We only wait for the Dean's letter if we feel like it will add a significant piece of information that we aren't getting from the other sources--something like the clerkship rotation comments for institutions who only provide Satisfactor/Unsatisfactory designations on the medical school transcript, or the actual quartile breakdowns for schools that give everyone high grades. But we start interviewing in mid October, so we don't feel that we can afford to wait until October to start the review process. Programs that dont' start interviewing until Dec or Jan probably do wait until the Dean's letters are released.

Sure. Some of the applications we receive are strong enough that we don't feel we need the Dean's Letter to determine whether or not we'd like to offer an interview. AOA, Gold Humanism, B+ or better (or its equivalent) clerkship grade in our specialty, LoRs that use superlative language, etc. The selection committee get those applications first, without the Dean's letter, and it won't take them long to discuss/affirm the decision to invite. We only wait for the Dean's letter if we feel like it will add a significant piece of information that we aren't getting from the other sources--something like the clerkship rotation comments for institutions who only provide Satisfactor/Unsatisfactory designations on the medical school transcript, or the actual quartile breakdowns for schools that give everyone high grades. But we start interviewing in mid October, so we don't feel that we can afford to wait until October to start the review process. Programs that dont' start interviewing until Dec or Jan probably do wait until the Dean's letters are released.

Thank you!