The Berkeley Review Practice Tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdjn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the first one right now (I have the old version), and I was wondering how realistic/representative TBR practice tests were? I got a 10 (54 right out of 77) on the physical sciences, and I must say it was pretty tough. If I hadn't taken quantum mechanics or inorganic chemistry (not gen chem), I would have struggled with a lot of passages. I am hoping to take the test in April, and I want to pull my PS up to a 13 before then. I consider PS to be one of my stronger sections so... Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

10/9/10 (PS/VR/BS) on TBR 1 on old version

PS was doable. I just probably made some silly mistakes. I also haven't touched any of the GChem or Physics materials... so I am hoping to improve after doing those.

VR, I think the scale was messed up. So I used the AAMC scale to convert. Didn't care about the VR too much, since TBR is notorious for being bad in this section. I didn't finish like two passages, but did them anyway. Would have been an 11 if I had included them.

The Bio was extremely difficult... Most were extremely dense OChem passages/questions. I took Honors OChem, and I still had trouble with a lot of them. Like the PS, I haven't gone over OChem in like 3 months, so I am hoping that will improve after I go over some trivial terms/definitions. I think I did relatively well with the Bio topics. All the problems from EK 1001 is paying off.

Wow, I am toasted. Those old MCAT exams are soooo much longer. I don't have much time (planning to take in Apr. 19th)... and I am thinking about pushing it back to May. Anyway, gl all.

Let me still know if anyone out has done any of the TBR practice tests.

A buddy of mine who I studied with for the MCAT last year had taken the Berkeley course the year before and we ended up doing probably around 4 TBR full lengths. I wasn't doing too well on them for the most part (like maybe 26-28) and it scared the heck out of me.

When I took my first real AAMC practice MCAT sometime after that, I was shocked by how much easier it was and how much better I did. I called my buddy and told him, and he said he didn't want to tell me about it so soon but admitted his course instructors had told them that TBR's exams were much more difficult than the real thing.

So, to answer you question...TBR is not representative. It is more difficult (except, IMO, the verbal section which I did much better on and found to be too easy). The main problem is the science portions test a lot of things you are not expected to know for the MCAT. Now, my buddy insisted that this was helpful because it prepared you better and allowed you to feel more relaxed when taking the real MCAT since you've become accustomed to harder exams. Personally, I think the TBRs are useless because they test you on information you don't need to now and can damage you confidence in the efficacy of your studying. I think confidence is almost as important as knowing the actual stuff, so my advice is to stick with the AAMC tests, and maybe some TPR if your looking for more.

Ps. In my experience, the EK 1001's are riddled with errors and are of limited value, though they are a good supplement if you have enough time to add them to your usual study regimen of reading EK or Kaplan review books. Watch out for those errors!

You needed quantum mechanics?? I think that should say something as to how accurate the test is of the real MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking the first one right now (I have the old version), and I was wondering how realistic/representative TBR practice tests were? I got a 10 (54 right out of 77) on the physical sciences, and I must say it was pretty tough. If I hadn't taken quantum mechanics or inorganic chemistry (not gen chem), I would have struggled with a lot of passages.

PS was doable. I just probably made some silly mistakes. I also haven't touched any of the GChem or Physics materials... so I am hoping to improve after doing those.

You pretty much answered your own question here. Just like the actual MCAT, there are passages that seem highly intimidating, but the questions are all doable using the information and concepts from freshman general chemistry and physics. If you've read the threads following the real MCATs, you'll hear people saying pretty much exactly what you just said. The test is weird, but the questions can all be answered with simple concepts. Careless mistakes are the biggest nemesis of any test-taker.

XermesMD said:
I wasn't doing too well on them for the most part (like maybe 26-28) and it scared the heck out of me.

When I took my first real AAMC practice MCAT sometime after that, I was shocked by how much easier it was and how much better I did. I called my buddy and told him, and he said he didn't want to tell me about it so soon but admitted his course instructors had told them that TBR's exams were much more difficult than the real thing.

So, to answer you question...TBR is not representative. It is more difficult (except, IMO, the verbal section which I did much better on and found to be too easy). The main problem is the science portions test a lot of things you are not expected to know for the MCAT. Now, my buddy insisted that this was helpful because it prepared you better and allowed you to feel more relaxed when taking the real MCAT since you've become accustomed to harder exams. Personally, I think the TBRs are useless because they test you on information you don't need to now and can damage you confidence in the efficacy of your studying.

Your comment about the tests covering things that were not on the MCAT made me curious enough to go back into the archives and look at the PS section of Exam 1. Here are the topics:

• 1. Enhanced solubility due to chelating agents
    2. Phase Difference between Two Periodic Systems
    3. Solubility Table involving Silver Salts (Ion Exchange Column)
    4. Releasing Objects from top of Icy Slope
    5. Absorption and Emission of Visible Light (Colors)
    6. Physics Experiment Comparing Efficiency of Brakes
    7. Nuclear Fission and Fusion
    8. Quantum Numbers and Orbital Shapes
    9. Solubility Experiment Comparing Two Salts/Impact of pH on Solubility
    10. Perpetual Motion Machine (Underwater Atwood Machine)
    11. Coordination Complexes

Having been through this exam twice this morning, I cannot find the following: (1) Quantum Mechanics, (2) Topics you're not expected to know for the MCAT, and (3) Questions based on upper division inorganic chemistry.

I just have a feeling the test freaked you out, much like the real MCAT freaks people out after they get used to the relatively easy AAMC practice exams. I tend to think your friend had a great attitude and probably scored in the mid to upper 30s on his MCAT. You are right about a positive attitude and confidence, which it sounds like your friend had.

tdjn: You PMed for the scales for the 2001 version of that exam. In looking through the archives this morning, that is four editions ago and many things have changed since then. Hopefully you realize that the BS section of the MCAT underwent a major change in 2003, where they reduced organic chemistry, increased genetics, and increased molecular biology on the exam. They omitted a few topics in organic chemistry from the testable material. Part of your problem is that you are using a pre-2003 version of that exam. Your opinion of organic chemistry being dense on that exam is accurate, because that's what used to be true on the exam. That's the price you pay when you use materials from 2001 that you get from eBay (or wherever you bought it). Perhaps you could invest in current exams.

LACosta said:
You needed quantum mechanics?? I think that should say something as to how accurate the test is of the real MCAT

No, you didn't need quantum mechanics. You needed to be able to read the passage and interpret that there are four quantum numbers: N, L, ml, and ms. If you see quantum mechanics on your MCAT, it's there to mess with you and you won't need it for the questions.

tdjn: You PMed for the scales for the 2001 version of that exam. In looking through the archives this morning, that is four editions ago and many things have changed since then. Hopefully you realize that the BS section of the MCAT underwent a major change in 2003, where they reduced organic chemistry, increased genetics, and increased molecular biology on the exam. They omitted a few topics in organic chemistry from the testable material. Part of your problem is that you are using a pre-2003 version of that exam. Your opinion of organic chemistry being dense on that exam is accurate, because that's what used to be true on the exam. That's the price you pay when you use materials from 2001 that you get from eBay (or wherever you bought it). Perhaps you could invest in current exams.

Are you serious? You are delusional if you expect people to cough up 50 bucks for each one of your books, not to mention 25+ dollars for the notriously bad shipping services. No thanks. I think I will just skip all the OChem parts now and just work on the GChem, Physics, and Bio, if that.

And you guys don't even have current exams for sale right now, so I don't know what you are talking about. You also always talk about how you guys are always updating the material, but I don't see anything being updated.

Anyway, good luck with your guerilla marketing strategy on SDN. I don't know about other people, but I see right through the bs and calling you out on it. Helping people under the pretense that you care about students doing well on the MCAT... Really? I guess I was a fool to have thought that test-prep companies cared about money.

Btw, I probably spent 50 dollars on the entire set (study guides and 10+ practice tests), so I am really not losing out on anything.

Hell of a better deal than spending 50 bucks on a Physics Pt. 2 book.

Are you serious? You are delusional if you expect people to cough up 50 bucks for each one of your books, not to mention 25+ dollars for the notriously bad shipping services. No thanks. I think I will just skip all the OChem parts now and just work on the GChem, Physics, and Bio, if that.

And you guys don't even have current exams for sale right now, so I don't know what you are talking about. You also always talk about how you guys are always updating the material, but I don't see anything being updated.

Anyway, good luck with your guerilla marketing strategy on SDN. I don't know about other people, but I see right through the bs and calling you out on it. Helping people under the pretense that you care about students doing well on the MCAT... Really? I guess I was a fool to have thought that test-prep companies cared about money.

I'm not sure what I said here to set you off, but I apologize. I agreed that the PS was difficult and that the BS section had too much organic chemistry on it compared to today's exams. It's seven years old. Did it piss you off that I mentioned you got them from eBay (or wherever), because I just can't see why that would upset you. You talk about the book prices, but you didn't buy them from us. I honestly can't figure out what trigger I hit, but I think my best option would be for me to make this my last post to you.

You are right that we don't have any exams for sale at the moment. My suggestion was that you buy current exams, not our exams. You are using an exam from 2001 and complaining about it having too much organic chemistry. What do you expect? I don't care what exam you use, but it should be later than 2003 to accurately represent the current MCAT topics. All pre-2003 exams will have too much organic chemistry.

And I don't have anything to do with setting the prices. $50 for a pair of books (including tax) seems about what everything costs (when you consider that it's both text and passages/questions), but I honestly don't know. I also don't set the FedEx shipping fees and schedule, so take that up with them. I can't blame you for thinking that's expensive, because it's outrageous. I can't even pretend to understand why BR doesn't use a cheaper company for shipping.

And to answer your PM request, I guess it would be a no in light of your message here. I don't think it would be wise of me to send the updated curve and PDF version of the more recent exams.

Good luck on your exam and I will stay out of your way here.

I think I did the first 3 or 4 tests (also from early 2000 or 2001) or something like that...

I'd get like 2 wrong per passage on PS and BS.. or something like that. The passages are hard in a good way... in the end, I think I was getting something like 12s on PS and 10s - 11s on BS or something like that. I was doing better on the AAMCs though. I wouldn't worry about the score so much... just try and learn from the mistakes you are making. From my experience, the most accurate predictors by far were the AAMC tests... everything else, use for practice.

I thought the PS sections were very representative of the real deal ... like Berk said above ^ .. they kinda shock you.. and that's really how the real deal is.

Nice of you to antagonize someone who's been a great help to the SDN MCAT community, and to me personally. But well, it's your loss.

If you aren't going to add anything constructive, please don't respond.

I think I did the first 3 or 4 tests (also from early 2000 or 2001) or something like that...

I'd get like 2 wrong per passage on PS and BS.. or something like that. The passages are hard in a good way... in the end, I think I was getting something like 12s on PS and 10s - 11s on BS or something like that. I was doing better on the AAMCs though. I wouldn't worry about the score so much... just try and learn from the mistakes you are making. From my experience, the most accurate predictors by far were the AAMC tests... everything else, use for practice.

I thought the PS sections were very representative of the real deal ... like Berk said above ^ .. they kinda shock you.. and that's really how the real deal is.

Yeah, I did get ~2 wrong per science passage too. I feel like it's not the content that gets me now, but I just have to manage my time better and be more careful in reading. For now, I am just going to stick with the better practice materials and do all the Kaplan tests and sectional tests. TBR is going to be last resort since it has so much extraneous and unnecessary information. I doubt I will even get to it.

Oh, and congrats on your score Buzz! :thumbup:

Yikes, a lot of anger in this forum today....

I would have to say they were adding to the conversation as you attacked someone remarking on "guerrilla marketing" and this person then had the right to offer thoughts clearing the name of someone they appreciate.

Either way... some things work for some people and other things for other people... when I first took the MCAT I didn't have the time to be studying extra small details when I wanted to get the core concepts down but I sure will make sure I do the 2nd time around. It's the difference between a good score and a great one sometimes.....

2nd My bio section looked like nothing I ever saw on an AAMC practice test or a TPR diagnostic when I took the real thing. AAMC's would be the most representative test you would assume, but it wasn't even close. I had one physiology passage and this when it was written with more passages.

So if TBR isn't for you that's fair. I would aim to be a tad more constructive in your criticism if you want people to listen to what you're saying versus trying to take down someone that's helped out a lot here and seems to believe in what they're doing.

Best of luck.

Yikes, a lot of anger in this forum today....

I would have to say they were adding to the conversation as you attacked someone remarking on "guerrilla marketing" and this person then had the right to offer thoughts clearing the name of someone they appreciate.

Either way... some things work for some people and other things for other people... when I first took the MCAT I didn't have the time to be studying extra small details when I wanted to get the core concepts down but I sure will make sure I do the 2nd time around. It's the difference between a good score and a great one sometimes.....

2nd My bio section looked like nothing I ever saw on an AAMC practice test or a TPR diagnostic when I took the real thing. AAMC's would be the most representative test you would assume, but it wasn't even close. I had one physiology passage and this when it was written with more passages.

So if TBR isn't for you that's fair. I would aim to be a tad more constructive in your criticism if you want people to listen to what you're saying versus trying to take down someone that's helped out a lot here and seems to believe in what they're doing.

Best of luck.

I only criticized because I was instigated to do so.

That's the price you pay when you use materials from 2001 that you get from eBay (or wherever you bought it). Perhaps you could invest in current exams.

If that isn't the message for "Haha, in your face: that's what happens when you don't give us your money," then I don't know what is.

And you can't be so naive to think that the test prep company representatives come on SDN to soley "help" the holier-than-thou-gunners on SDN to do well on the MCAT. If you have had any experience in the world of business, you would know this. They are out for selling their product and, ultimately, money. Sure, they may feel good about "seeing students achieving their goals to be doctors..." But then again, you have to weigh this against whatever ulterior motives they may have.

Again, I wouldn't have said all of this, if TBRreview hadn't said what he had said above. He/she could have simply said the exams were outdated. You should probably purchase the upcoming ones (instead of telling me to go buy exams that aren't even currently available right now).

I wasn't going to bring this up, because he/she obviously wanted to drop it. I do to.

The topic strictly says TBR Practice Tests so unless you had any experiences with them, please refrain from commenting. As hard as that may seem.

Good luck with your MCAT :luck:

I only criticized because I was instigated to do so.

If that isn't the message for "Haha, in your face: that's what happens when you don't give us your money," then I don't know what is.

And you can't be so naive to think that the test prep company representatives come on SDN to soley "help" the holier-than-thou-gunners on SDN to do well on the MCAT. If you have had any experience in the world of business, you would know this. They are out for selling their product and, ultimately, money. Sure, they may feel good about "seeing students achieving their goals to be doctors..." But then again, you have to weigh this against whatever ulterior motives they may have.

Again, I wouldn't have said all of this, if TBRreview hadn't said what he had said above. He/she could have simply said the exams were outdated. You should probably purchase the upcoming ones (instead of telling me to go buy exams that aren't even currently available right now).

I wasn't going to bring this up, because he/she obviously wanted to drop it. I do to.

The topic strictly says TBR Practice Tests so unless you had any experiences with them, please refrain from commenting. As hard as that may seem.

Good luck with your MCAT :luck:
Dude, he never said buy BR exams, he just said "perhaps you could invest in current exams. Keep in mind, this was AFTER he went out of his way to look for ancient scoring scales for you.

In addition, there was nothing derogatory or even "angry" about his posts.

I think you're being a bit hyper-sensitive and need to lay off the coffee and MCAT studies for a while :D

Maybe you need to work on your verbal, buddy.:luck:
Maybe you need help with your insecurities. I'd suggest you reread his post, Buddy :luck:.
BerkReviewTeach (verbatim) said:

I'm not sure what I said here to set you off, but I apologize. I agreed that the PS was difficult and that the BS section had too much organic chemistry on it compared to today's exams. It's seven years old. Did it piss you off that I mentioned you got them from eBay (or wherever), because I just can't see why that would upset you. You talk about the book prices, but you didn't buy them from us. I honestly can't figure out what trigger I hit, but I think my best option would be for me to make this my last post to you.

You are right that we don't have any exams for sale at the moment. My suggestion was that you buy current exams, not our exams. You are using an exam from 2001 and complaining about it having too much organic chemistry. What do you expect? I don't care what exam you use, but it should be later than 2003 to accurately represent the current MCAT topics. All pre-2003 exams will have too much organic chemistry.

And I don't have anything to do with setting the prices. $50 for a pair of books (including tax) seems about what everything costs (when you consider that it's both text and passages/questions), but I honestly don't know. I also don't set the FedEx shipping fees and schedule, so take that up with them. I can't blame you for thinking that's expensive, because it's outrageous. I can't even pretend to understand why BR doesn't use a cheaper company for shipping.

And to answer your PM request, I guess it would be a no in light of your message here. I don't think it would be wise of me to send the updated curve and PDF version of the more recent exams.

Good luck on your exam and I will stay out of your way here.

Maybe you need to work on your verbal, buddy.:luck:

You're so ******ed it's not even funny. You're complaining about materials that were made 7 years ago. Are you serious? Furthermore, BR isn't all about PROFIT numbnuts. The guy you insulted started Hyperlearning which was bought by Princeton Review. He and a friend then started BR and decided to stay small. How can you compare a company that ONLY does MCAT and stayed small to offer better services to MEGA companies that teach every test under sun? Oh, you're in for a rude surprise when you take the MCAT. They've begun to make it more difficult, and you can rest assured that the difficulty of the passages you see from BR will be representative of test day. Yea, Mr. 150 IQ you can't read. No, he was laughing at the fact that you're complaining about books written for the Paper MCAT which emphasized different topics. He wasn't snickering that this is what you get when you don't purchase our books. :thumbdown: Isn't it interesting that the two most favored companies on this forum specialize in MCAT? I guess EK sold out a little as they now also do LSAT. Don't be cheap, buy the new books and the new online FL when they're available and I bet you will come home with a MONSTER score if you're half as smart as you think you are.

If you look at The Boondock's previous posts, all he does is promote TBR material. You seem to know a lot about the company for just being a regular ole sdner...

Also, the two most favored prep companies are either EK and TPR or EK and Kaplan. TBR doesn't even come close. Not many people even know about TBR because they are so esoteric and majority of their material is crap besides Gen Chem. And even that gets way more hype than it deserves.

A simple EK or Kaplan book should be more than enough for an excellent score. I've used those two, and I am hitting 10 - 13's in the PS on other practice tests.

If you look at The Boondock's previous posts, all he does is promote TBR material. You seem to know a lot about the company for just being a regular ole sdner...

Also, the two most favored prep companies are either EK and TPR or EK and Kaplan. TBR doesn't even come close. Not many people even know about TBR because they are so esoteric and majority of their material is crap besides Gen Chem. And even that gets way more hype than it deserves.

A simple EK or Kaplan book should be more than enough for an excellent score. I've used those two, and I am hitting 10 - 13's in the PS on other practice tests.

That's true. However, it's because MOST people need the most help in PS. BR is the best in Gen Chem and solid in Physics. Look at the great Bozz. Enough said. Over hyped? Use the search function and see if you still think this. So if someone is struggling with PS, of course I will tell them to check out BR. I'm anal rententive when it comes to the best books. Furthermore, I said highly regarded. BR and EK are the most highly regarded by people who use them. Kaplan is the largest company and gets the most praise and blame. I'm honest in my evaluations. Kaplan has the BEST practice material. PR has a great workbook and thorough review. EK is awesome, seeing as I have test material from all the major companies I feel qualified to comment. Ultimately you decide your score and not what prep material you use.

The AAMC practice tests are way way way easier than Berkeley Review. 10 - 13 on PS is a pretty big *** range. You could end up with an 8 or a 9 on the real deal... from the shock alone.. unless you're consistently hitting 13s or above, I don't think you can say you've perfected PS.. or that you'll do as well on the real deal otherwise.

I've used EK, Kaplan, NOVA, and Berkeley Review... and by far, without DOUBT

TBR WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST FREAKING PHYSICAL SCIENCE PREP POSSIBLE... I forgot that I did look at Princeton Review's "big book" also.. couldn't tell which was worse... Kaplan or Princeton.

Dude, if you don't feel like using it don't ... but don't complain later when those who did had an extra "edge." I personally bought used older versions since I needed them to be shipped ASAP... but if I had the time, I wouldn't have minded paying $60 for the chem books alone. Again, it's your choice... but if I had been miserly over TBR and just never got their books period, I might have had a much lower score = waste of money on apps and secondaries b/c I didn't get the score I wanted... which will come out to a lot more than simply -$60.

Also another thing I noticed... (I bet this is the same for Bio too) but.. the SAT II books for Chemistry and Physics are EXACTLY the same as the ones in Kaplan's MCAT materials. Only realized this after taking the test.

EK is fine... but everyone uses EK nowadays... from people who score 6s to people who score 15s. You can't judge a company's effectiveness by how "big" it is... that just plain stupidity. For everyone I know who got a 35+ by taking Kaplan, I know 10 who scored <24

Most people I know who used TBR had absolutely no regrets about it. I'm sure there are people who don't get the score that they want after using TBR materials.... but I'm willing to bet money that that % is a lot lower than with other companies.

And about not enough people knowing about TBR, in a way thank god... otherwise, the curve would be insane if everyone knew about it. Those who use TBR will be setting the curve :p Hah, you'll probably think I work for TBR or something... I know it's a frickin' test and I'm done... and it's weird to be thankful to a "test-prep" company.. I mean how weird is that? haha