The Berkeley Review Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swazination

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are these books?
are they worth it for every subject?
Should I buy the full set?
Passages good?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally did not find the TBR passages useful at all. Did 75% of them and scored a 503 the first time.
Studied with just Kaplan Quicksheets for content review the second time around (along with NS and TPR practice exams) and scores a 516

not for content review. They will drive you mad with their approach. MAYBE use them for passage practice. But for content review they are not effective.

Agree with whats said above. I only used them for certain passages, but stopped because I found them unhelpful. They aren't bad for physics, but its not worth buying the Berkeley. All the physics you can learn from other sources like Khan academy or just youtube.

Review content using something like Kaplan or EK.

I have the science books and I LOVE them. I find their passages extremely helpful, especially organic and physics (which I was taking in school when I got them). But you need to know how to use them I think. They don't sugarcoat things or give you cute cartoon creatures. You get clear reasoning on how to answer a question by either process of elimination or by knowing enough key points to zero in on the right answer. They also like to mix different subjects together and while I love that, I can understand if you prefer to compartmentalize information, it may be frustrating. I'd suggest a few things to get the most out of them.

(1) Keep a running list of their shortcuts as you work through each chapter.
(2) Do the Phases in order and don't do the practice tests at the end of the books until you've done the entire book.
(3) Pay close attention when they discuss the logic behind the wrong answer choices.
(4) Do ALL of the questions in the reading. There are hundreds, but they are very good at getting the basics. Once you get to the passages, it gets harder.
(5) Don't get discouraged and quit because they are hard. It gets better as you go. There are easier materials out there, but easy practice won't make you better.

Reactions: 1 users