The best ortho programs--a question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elias514

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which orthopaedics residency programs in the US are considered top-tier--i.e., truly outstanding places to train? I'm not looking for a top ten list or arguments as to which program is #1. I just wanna know which programs are renowned for the quality of clinical training.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo is phenomenal.

Go to U.S. News Best Hospitals and click under ortho.

Some will argue that this does not necessarily represent the best residency programs, and that is true, but at least u will know where some of the ultra-elite orthopods are. A hospital ranked top 10 by them is more likely to be up there, than be number 130 on the list of top residencies.

That said, Mayo is in a class of its own.

If you want to go into academics, US News is good, otherwise, it is useless. Those rankings are largly based on NIH funding. THere is a reputation factor in there as well, but that, in large, also stems from research and publications.

Mayo is far from a class of its own...even in the academic realm. Some programs typically considered at the top of the academic world Mayo, HSS, HJD, Pitt, Iowa, Case, Cleveland Clinic, Penn, Rochester, and Cambell clinic to name a few. The best community places are Carolinas, Grand Rapids, Akron Summa, Akron General, Greenville, Beaumont, Kalamazoo...at these places, you will probably get a much better operative experience, but much less on the research side.

Overall, there are very few ortho programs that aren't excellent. Go where you think you will be happy and don't worry about the rankings, as most people have different ideas when it comes to rankings. The only way where you trained will have any affect on you life 20 years from now is if you desire to be a program director some day. If that is the case, you would be better off at a research machine like case, mayo, pitt and the rest of the programs mentioned above.