The best scrubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venko

True to self
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have to purchase my own scrubs for the first time and really would appreciate advice on which brand makes a reasonably priced, comfortable pair. If you care to throw in a color suggestion or other comment, that would be interesting too. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if they have locations in your area, but here in the lower Midwest at least we have a store called Life Uniform, and I like their house brand a lot. They're reasonably priced and hold up very well. I prefer the cargo or EMT-style pants so I have pockets and don't need a coat , and their brand has a coating that makes small amounts of fluids bead up and slide off without soaking in (like tiny blood spatters, etc).

I like Dickies scrubs. I find they hold up the best and they don't shrink in the dryer! We have life uniform here too, and some of their store brand scrubs are good, but others shrink in the wash.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just ordered a pair of Aviator scrubs. They have a great reputation for rugged, long lasting scrubs. The pants have lots of pockets and they have a belt instead of a tie or elastic. They currently are having a sale too.

http://www.aviatorscrubs.com/

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have to purchase my own scrubs for the first time and really would appreciate advice on which brand makes a reasonably priced, comfortable pair. If you care to throw in a color suggestion or other comment, that would be interesting too. Thoughts?

What happened to the time-honored tradition of stealing scrubs during med school all the way through residency?

Reactions: 4 users
I wear Aviator scrubs. I like their pocket set up and I love the integral belt. It makes it so your phone doesn't pull your pants down and it keeps your shirt tucked in (if you tuck which I do). They last ok. The last few years they have gotten a bit cheap on their Velcro.

I wear Aviator scrubs. I like their pocket set up and I love the integral belt. It makes it so your phone doesn't pull your pants down and it keeps your shirt tucked in (if you tuck which I do). They last ok. The last few years they have gotten a bit cheap on their Velcro.

I second the aviator scrubs but make sure to get the ER pants pockets over the standard. Problem with any custom order from them is they take a long time.

I took scrubs from one of my off service rotations... they are sooo nice and comfy.

I still steal scrubs from various hospitals and wear a white coat to make up for the lack o'pockets.

However, this new gig requires 5 flipping pagers when we're on call. I don't have enough hips/butt to keep my pants on when going up and down stairs, on anywhere in any sort of hurry. I have no idea how guys do it. I'm going to make a bandolier. I have no shame!

What happened to the time-honored tradition of stealing scrubs during med school all the way through residency?

Don't worry, it's alive and well :D

I hear ya about the multiple pagers when I'm doing non-ER rotations. Like on the MICU. I have my pager, the code blue pager, and the MICU consult pager all across my waist.

It's like being a soldier with multiple magazine rounds across the belt-line. Craziness.

And the worst are the surgery on call residents. I think they have 4 pagers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, as the Pharm.D. on call, I have my personal pager, the "drug info" pager, the stroke pager, peds code, and adult code.

It's ridonkulous to say the least.

I'll throw my vote in for Landau cargo scrubs. They have lots of pockets, including regular pant pockets, and a zipper fly (money if you're a dude). I picked up 3 sets on allheart for like $30/set when I was a med student. They're way better than the ones we got from our program.

Ive been wearing the Life Uniform cheap brand. They run big so go try them on if u are interested. The quality is good and they have cargo pants.

I found great scrub pants at Wal-Mart ('SB scrubs' brand) - they have tons of pockets, an elastic in the back/string in the front waist, boot-cut leg and even in XS they are long enough (my usual problem with scrub pants is that they are either huge or too short or both...) and they are only $14 a pair and are holding up very well. For the tops I just wear whatever I 'forgot to return' in med school.

I like medelita scrubs. And I love the white coat - teflon to prevent stains too!!! Downside is they are expensive.

Yeah, they look great but I think my wife would take my wallet awa if I spent over a hundred dollars on a set of scrubs

I notice most of the comments on the site are from female PAs who want to look sexy and professional at the same time.

I like looking good, but I'd rather look like a donkey and use the cheapo hospital provided coats and scrubs and spend the $135 on booze.

The point of scrubs:

1. Disposable
2. Cheap
3. Not yours

This whole trend of fashion scrubs is just silly. If you are going to work in an ER you should be able to cut your clothes off and throw them away.

Plus, I think I would feel bad cutting the sleeves off if I had to pay for them....

How bout a The Todd-reference, Five?!

I don't know if they have locations in your area, but here in the lower Midwest at least we have a store called Life Uniform, and I like their house brand a lot. They're reasonably priced and hold up very well. I prefer the cargo or EMT-style pants so I have pockets and don't need a coat , and their brand has a coating that makes small amounts of fluids bead up and slide off without soaking in (like tiny blood spatters, etc).

I just ordered a pair of Aviator scrubs. They have a great reputation for rugged, long lasting scrubs. The pants have lots of pockets and they have a belt instead of a tie or elastic. They currently are having a sale too.

http://www.aviatorscrubs.com/

Hey all, been a while, just wondering if these scrubs are still pretty good? Checked out both stores, looked like Aviator has better pockets, but is it any good at repelling those darn blood spatters? Thanks.

I just got 9 pairs of Jocky Scrubs. Monogramed. They are bad ass. They are also made of various synthetics with a latex component that makes them incredibly soft and difficulty to wrinkle. Their like pajamas. I love them.

Best scrubs - Medelita. Dri-fit but doesn't smell like dri-fit when you sweat, tailored, wrinkle and stain resistant. Difficult to justify the cost other than that you buy 3 sets and you're down with work clothes for the next 2-3 years.

Arc, those bad boys are $50 for pants alone. They'd better come with NASA grade moisture wick technology for my sweaty ass and arm pits for that price. lol

Arc, those bad boys are $50 for pants alone. They'd better come with NASA grade moisture wick technology for my sweaty ass and arm pits for that price. lol

The moisture wicking is awe-inspiring but they're justifiable for me only that before these I was wearing Brooks Brothers.

I don't know how I feel about aviator scrubs...they're SO expensive. There's someone in my residency class that has 3-4 aviator scrubs set with monograms. I just can't imagine spending ~200$ on scrubs regardless of how many pockets they have.

I'm female so I love the grey's anatomy. Also a bit pricy, I'm trying out some cheaper ones (wonderwink) to see if they are ok since I don't like the idea of spending $50/pair. I searched on the internet too to find the cheapest prices... my new ones are coming in the mail soon.

I still really like Aviator pants. I have to buy a new round about every 3 years which isn't too bad for work cloths. I'm a bit weird in that I put some work into them. I get them hemmed to length and then I sit down with a sewing machine and reinforce some of the pocket seams. I like the fact that they don't have zippers. I never have to worry that I forgot something.

For shirts I've been wearing these for the past few years:

http://www.galls.com/511-tactical-mens-snag-free-performance-polo

I like them because I tuck in my shirts. When I used to wear scrub shirts they would pull out when you bend over. I was looking for a stretchier shirt and I started wearing these. I had them embroidered and they look pretty good. They have extras because they're for cops that seem silly but I like them. I actually use the pen pockets on the sleeve for those never ending EKG signoffs when you're doing something else. The mic pockets on the fronts of the shoulders are great for ID badges. There's also a mic clip at the bottom of the buttons which is good for hanging safety glasses and so on. The collars don't roll and they still look good after several years of use.

It's kind of an ER mullet in that I have different pants and shirts but I wear all one color so it's not as bad (IMHO).

Im a fan of Landau and Carhartt scrubs. Both are a little pricey though.

Reactions: 1 user
super cheap scrubs at iguanaoutlet.com
$5-`10 section is my favorite.... sizes can be wonky but price totally cancels that out

Thank you, iguanaoutlet.com

On a serious note, what are people wearing for tops other than scrub tops? I saw what DocB does.... Anyone else?

Black shirt instead of black scrub top sometimes

Figs. Hands down. Feels like softness. Its especially good for women, with one pocket tops that are fitted.

Reactions: 1 user
Any reviews on Ripstop by Carhartt? Tried on a few economical options (Cherokee, Landau, store brands), and these seemed the most sturdy, unique (waffle texture), although a bit boxy. If spending ~$250 (with engraving), I'd want them to last at least 2-3y.

Any reviews on Ripstop by Carhartt? Tried on a few economical options (Cherokee, Landau, store brands), and these seemed the most sturdy, unique (waffle texture), although a bit boxy. If spending ~$250 (with engraving), I'd want them to last at least 2-3y.

Engraving? Those must be some sturdy scrubs.