1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

The best way to find out about different ophtho resdencies?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by brownsdawg, Mar 6, 2007.

1. brownsdawg

brownsdawg Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm in the process of researching where I would like to apply for Ophtho this coming fall, but the more research I do, the more I realize how hard it is to come by objective ratings of all the different programs out there. I've done some searching here on SDN, and I've used google, scutwork, etc.

I mean aside from looking at a program's own web site (and you can't really get the info you really want toknow from there), what do people do? And it's risky to go on a few opinions, even if they're from SDN or scut monkey, because you honestly don't know the source...

I plan on just asking the residents here at my school what they know, but they can't know about all the programs...

We've all seen the list of the top 10 programs...but what about the rest of the top 50 or so? It's very frustrating for someone like me who is really not bound to any geographical region in terms of where I "need to be."

Can anyone help me out?:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rubensan

rubensan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you are correct in stating that there are many excellent programs outside of the "top 10." i think talking to the residents at your program is a good start. i would also add talking to some attendings, particularly the one(s) that will write you Letter of Rec(s). most have a good sense for the quality of programs out there. perhaps more important is to ask yourself what you want out of a career in ophthalmology? what do you like about ophthalmology? do you want to be out in the community doing cataracts and LASIK? there are many programs that can accomodate those needs. are you interested in academics or pursuing a competitive fellowship like retina or plastics? if so, then the "top 10" represent programs that can foster that aspect of your career. perhaps the best peice of advice i can share with you is come late summer, apply early and to a broad range of programs. best of luck!