The Big Deal About Pediatric EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rockhouse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am talking about the post EM fellowship, not the other convoluted paths. What is the huge draw? Better pay? Don't have to work with drug seekers (as often)? There are people who feel the need to get more training when they could just go work on kids anyways? This is sparked by Dr. Iserson coming to our school the other day and calling it one of the "Really, Really Competitive Specialities" along with Derm, Plastics, and so on. So just looking for a little information from the guys in the field. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Peds EM is very competitive for those coming from a Peds residency. That is b/c you get paid much more for less hours, i.e. ~180,000 vs 100,000/year. And, not to mention, you are not doing well baby checks all day long. On the flip side, a Peds EM fellowship is not that competitive coming from EM because you actually make less. But, you must remember that most Peds EM boarded folks are working at academic centers where the pay is generally less to begin with. I like working in the Peds ED, but not that much to sacrifice 2 years of fellowship to make less money.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's gotta be kind of nerve racking to be doing a Peds residency planning to shoot for an EM fellowship. If they are as competitive as everyone says presumably a few of these EM-hopefuls will be banished to the Realm of Well-Child Checks for their career....

Here is my opinion as a Peds EM fellow who did peds first and is now doing a PEM fellowship - for whatever the hell that is worth...

If you did Peds first as a residency, than PEM is a pretty competative fellowship to land. There were approximately 200 PGY4 PEM spots out there this year, and the application rate was about 2.5:1 (2.5 applicants for every one spot), which is high, since most peds subspecialties do not fill since they do not get paid for crap, and are mostly required to work in academics, which does not pay well.

Doing a PEM fellowship for a pediatrician is a good step up, ... if you like the ED. The upside is shift work, a pretty good life style without call, not having to deal with general peds office crap - ADHD, behaviour probs, developmental disability (hey, if you like that stuff, than power to you!) and better money (in both academics and private world - these are very rough, off the top of my head #s)
Academic General Peds start ~ 110-120K, max 160-170K (not administrative or department chair, etc...)
Private Gen Peds - depends on the practice set up and regional location
start ~130-140K, max 200-250K if partner
vesus
Academic PEM start ~ 140 - 150K, max 180-220K
Private PEM start ~ 200-225K, max ??? (rates vary with variable benefit packages from $100/h -$170/hr, average probably 125-135/hr)

Again, the money is not as good as your adult ED comrades will make(but who the hell likes sick old people? j/k), but it can be significantly better than gen peds with a better lifestyle.

As an adult ED person... I do not really get the draw. If you really like kids or if you want more experience, or if you want to work in academics doing both adult and peds EM, then, OK. But otherwise, why would you want to train more with deferred compensation for two years, then do time in a Peds ED where you will get paid less? Again, if this is your bag, come on down, but I do not see it.

Again, just my humble, FOS opinion.

Peace,
Greg