The Big Optometry Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiggler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do I say if they ask why my grades are low? Some of the people I know have been asked this question.

Thanks, Wiggler

Members don't see this ad.

tell them you were too busy wiggling the palm trees :laugh: :smuggrin:

well...as long as you have a thought out answer to that question, it shouldn't be a problem. plus, if they see a general upward trend in your marks.....you don't have to worry too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, if it was the first year of college you could say it took some time for you to adjust to college level coursework. After all, it does take everyone time to adjust, i remember my first semester was a shocker to me. i thought college was all about partying just like on tv, but then i got more schoolwork than high school and now i'm like trying to focus. but i am making good grades.

If you made it as far as the interview, your grades really are not that big of a concern of the schools. If they were worried about them that much, they would not have had you fly all the to the school for an interview. If the school did not think you would make a good student they would not waste your time or theirs.

Questions like the GPA one is sometimes just a way to see if you can form a logical stream of words about something that may not be comfortable to talk about.

At interviews the school is looking for reasons to except you, not reasons to reject you.

My GPA was only a 2.75 when I got into school. I wasn't asked that question but what I would have told them is that I was not only in school but also was working the entire way through undergrad in the field to gain valuable experience. If you have done any work in optical or were working during school at all that is always a good reason to give.

yes, schools will tell you that they weight heavily on the GPA, work/experiences, and OAT scores. But really, what matters most is the OAT score. Trust me on this one. Undergraduate GPA doesn't really mean that much, it's your OAT that's the meat part that will get you in. OAT scores will predict how well you do on the National Boards and it will predict how well you do in optometry school. Yes, GPA is important, but if your OAT score is around a 340, you're pretty safe to get in with a 2.75. one other important is to apply early, the early they see your application, the better chance you will get in because they don't a lot others that they can compare you to.

A high OAT score can off set a lower GPA, just like a high GPA can off set a low OAT.

What is considered a high OAT score (the minimum) that would definitely cancel out a low GPA.

330+?
300+?
310+?

I'm not saying this as a negative, but does anyone know the current stats for # of applicants per # of positions?

In 2000, it was about 1200 applicants for ~1200 spots in the US. If this is still true, then even with low grades, you'll be able to get in somewhere.

From ASCO

In 2002-2003 about 2,000 individuals applied for about the same number of spots... maybe alittle more since those schools graduated a total of 1300.

Im not sure where you got those stats, Dr. Doan, but I believe they are not accurate since it is my understanding that in the past few years the applicant pool has gone down slightly not up from your 1:1 ratio.

maxwellfish said:
From ASCO

In 2002-2003 about 2,000 individuals applied for about the same number of spots... maybe alittle more since those schools graduated a total of 1300.

Im not sure where you got those stats, Dr. Doan, but I believe they are not accurate since it is my understanding that in the past few years the applicant pool has gone down slightly not up from your 1:1 ratio.

The 2000 stats were from a previous lecture, and I don't have the source.

Thanks for the clarification and update.

I think this page is helpful for applicants:

http://www.opted.org/info_profile2.cfm

samwY said:
What is considered a high OAT score (the minimum) that would definitely cancel out a low GPA.

330+?
300+?
310+?

I'd say anything 330 and up would be considered a pretty "high" OAT score.

As for me, my gpa was around 3.0 to 3.1 and I was asked about why my GPA was so low. The interviewer was especially concerned that I got "C" grades in both Physics and Organic Chemistry.

I told them that a big reason for my drop in grades was because I was going through a lot of family and financial problems at that time. My parents got divorced and I picked up two jobs to help out my family and sister. One of the jobs I was working as an optometric assistant.

I also mentioned that for those sections on the OAT, I did score around 380 and 350 respectively, demonstrating that providing the motivation and time off from work that I took to study that I shouldn't have any problems with GPA in optometry school.

anyways hope this helps. is your interview coming up soon or are you worried about next year?