The Biggest Lie I Was Told On Almost Every Residency Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadsGuy

Reaction score
Here’s the scenario: You’re on your residency interview day and chatting with some of the residents over lunch, in between or during interviews and you ask them why they came here. They reply with “This is the best residency”.

That is a lie. In short, it’s because they’ve only ever been in one residency program. How would they know if this is the best one? They have nothing to compare it to.

Despite this logic, I heard that on almost every residency interview I went on. While I believe they think they are getting a good resident experience, I do not believe that program is any better or worse than most programs. Don’t call them on it though (quick way to get blackballed). Just be careful. Ask them what they like most about it and what they would change. That’s more insightful. If they say they wouldn’t change a thing, I’d press a little harder with something like “C’mon, no residency is perfect, there must be something, even if it’s a small thing like your cafeteria food sucks”. If they double down, then I’d be hard-pressed to believe anything else that person told me. Take another look around and see if you’re interviewing for a malignant program that desperately needs warm bodies to fill spots.

The reverse is quite different. If someone tells you this is the worst residency program, you should not believe them, but take that as a sign that something terrible has happened to them there, which may be entirely their fault or not. But, if the program wasn’t smart enough to shield their impressionable young applicants from that person, then they clearly can’t see the problems in front of them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here’s the scenario: You’re on your residency interview day and chatting with some of the residents over lunch, in between or during interviews and you ask them why they came here. They reply with “This is the best residency”.

That is a lie. In short, it’s because they’ve only ever been in one residency program. How would they know if this is the best one? They have nothing to compare it to.

Despite this logic, I heard that on almost every residency interview I went on. While I believe they think they are getting a good resident experience, I do not believe that program is any better or worse than most programs. Don’t call them on it though (quick way to get blackballed). Just be careful. Ask them what they like most about it and what they would change. That’s more insightful. If they say they wouldn’t change a thing, I’d press a little harder with something like “C’mon, no residency is perfect, there must be something, even if it’s a small thing like your cafeteria food sucks”. If they double down, then I’d be hard-pressed to believe anything else that person told me. Take another look around and see if you’re interviewing for a malignant program that desperately needs warm bodies to fill spots.

The reverse is quite different. If someone tells you this is the worst residency program, you should not believe them, but take that as a sign that something terrible has happened to them there, which may be entirely their fault or not. But, if the program wasn’t smart enough to shield their impressionable young applicants from that person, then they clearly can’t see the problems in front of them.
I think what is unsaid is "This is the best residency for me"

Reactions: 6 users
I used to think common sense was common until I became a resident.

Now, I'm just cynical.
Didn't Msrk Twain say If common sense were common, we all would have it, or something to that effect? @Goro excels st explaining the obvious to the oblivious, and look how frequently he has to do it

Reactions: 2 users

Like others have said man, common sense...Some easy take-aways:

Low Attendance: Residents are busy or resident’s aren’t too enthusiastic about recruitment.

People saying positive things means that they care about recruiting for their program and want good interns next year. No one is being coached about what to say by PDs and to be honest, some of us haven’t even met our PDs yet.

For negative comments, it’s not a trick...seriously we were you 3 months ago. People are lonely/stressed and want someone to hear about what’s been on their mind lately. Just listen and nod your head. You’re probably not going to get blackballed for anything you say, but why take the risk.

I’m very forthcoming about the strengths and weaknesses of my program. Part of that is because I realize that most of the weaknesses are trade-offs for its stengths. I really love the program I wound up in and I’m honest about it.

B8ECD923-645C-49CB-ACC2-722F66AF9547.jpeg

Like others have said man, common sense...Some easy take-aways:

Low Attendance: Residents are busy or resident’s aren’t too enthusiastic about recruitment.

People saying positive things means that they care about recruiting for their program and want good interns next year. No one is being coached about what to say by PDs and to be honest, some of us haven’t even met our PDs yet.

For negative comments, it’s not a trick...seriously we were you 3 months ago. People are lonely/stressed and want someone to hear about what’s been on their mind lately. Just listen and nod your head. You’re probably not going to get blackballed for anything you say, but why take the risk.

If you’re a few months (or weeks, or even days) into PGY1 and you haven’t met your PD, that’s a pretty huge red flag.

Reactions: 3 users

Did you not encounter the same sales job when interviewing for medical school?

I used to think common sense was common until I became a resident**.

Now, I'm just cynical.

**medstudent

Is this a troll? Most people are going to say their "whatever" is the best "whatever". This isn't unique to the residency process....

**medstudent

Is this a troll? Most people are going to say their "whatever" is the best "whatever". This isn't unique to the residency process....

It's all relative to your position, status, etc., in the world. The further you advance in training, the further your hopes will erode.

Maybe you're more cynical than me, idk. I don't want to become the ultranihilist either.

Well yeah Mitsubishi sales people still say their cars are the best

Unless it’s a mixed import dealer at least then they tell you they suck ass lmao