The Blues over Biochem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChaCha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am absolutely terrified to take biochem next year in med school. What can I do to comprehend it better? I have the Lippincott. Anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

not much to "comprehend" really, just get good at memorizing

There's not that much biochem compared to other subjects, so don't worry...it'll be over pretty quick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem's not that bad, it's just like undergrad biochem. If you want to, you can review your undergrad notes before you start the class to make sure that you understand the "big picture".

If you want to comprehend it better then learn the different ideas and integrate them. If you just want to pass the class then rote memorization is the way to go, but this method is by far the most boring.

Don't worry about biochemistry, all you have to do is memorize (a lot), but it's not difficult to comprehend. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I graduated with a biochemistry BS.
Good luck!

First off. "Next year?" You haven't even started? Geeze. Relax!

But, in any event, here's the plan of attack.

Get Clinical Biochemistry Made Ridiculously Simple . Then get the BRS Biochemistry .

Now, first read the Ridiculously Simple. Casually. Get the big picture.

Then, browse your Lippincotts. To get some details. Refer to Harpers as needed.

Finally, read the BRS for the nitty-gritty. But...

As you do so, read it with the BiochemistryLand Map from the Ridiculously Simple open in front of you. Fill in all the enzymes with markers. Highlight important bits. That's what will help you integrate--to get the overall idea.

Again, where Lippincotts and BRS fail, refer to Harpers. But you should be able to keep that to a minimum. And so on.

You need the details. But you need something to fit them into as well.

I swear by that Ridiculously Simple stuff!

KWBum
:p

Thanks for the advice. I will look into Biochem ridiculously simple. Sounds great!