The Capella University Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've never seen a tenure-track faculty position advertisement that didn't require applicants to have attended both an APA program and an APA internship though...hmmmm

Depends where you are looking...if you are looking at programs in say, experimental psych, or in another department entirely (neuroscience, public health, etc.), they obviously won't care since APA only accredits clinical programs. If you are looking in programs with clinical PhDs they will want you to be able to supervise so yeah...the vast majority will expect APA accreditation (and should). The Harvard grads I've come across have generally not been teaching in clinical psych programs even if that was their background.

Of course, generally speaking any remotely well known and respected clinical program will be APA accredited, and given the academic job market its tough to get a job coming from nowhere. That said, I imagine that for better or worse. these rules don't exactly apply to Harvard for well...fairly obvious reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends where you are looking...if you are looking at programs in say, experimental psych, or in another department entirely (neuroscience, public health, etc.), they obviously won't care since APA only accredits clinical programs. If you are looking in programs with clinical PhDs they will want you to be able to supervise so yeah...the vast majority will expect APA accreditation (and should). The Harvard grads I've come across have generally not been teaching in clinical psych programs even if that was their background.

Of course, generally speaking any remotely well known and respected clinical program will be APA accredited, and given the academic job market its tough to get a job coming from nowhere. That said, I imagine that for better or worse. these rules don't exactly apply to Harvard for well...fairly obvious reasons.

I am glad that you folks have taken your time to be critical. All I am trying to say here is very simple: Capella works for me. I have no regrets with my education at Capella. Obviously, I have attended both traditional and online institutions. So, speaking of using a data-driven approach, I have data from both settings. Capella has all the quality comparable to the traditional programmes that I have had in the past. I have a job now that I won't be able to have without my education. I have a license now that I won't be able to have without my education. I have the clinical skills to help my patients that I won't be able to provide without my education. I am happy for you folks that you are proud of your traditional programmes. All I am saying is that I am equally proud of the education that I have received from Capella. It is obvious not for everyone. If your goal is to get a full-time tenure from a traditional APA-accredited clinical programme, then obviously Capella may not be your first choice. However, my goals are to be a licensed clinician with a part-time teaching position, Capella serves me well. Good luck with your study. You never know, we may become colleagues one of these days. :)

Last edited:
Core Energetics for treating trauma? Anyone ever heard of this? Their website doesn't talk about efficacy at all.

Edit: Because apparently I am that nerdy, I looked it up on Psyc Info. Two hits and they're both articles in a book discussing single case studies.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why in the heck am I doing all this book learning if I just need to help my clients move their energy that is stuck? Thanks, Capella!!

PS - Capella either emails me or calls 2-4x a week now, despite several requests to remove me from their list the calls keep coming.

had a similar experience with Walden U. Emails, phone calls without end

Edit: Because apparently I am that nerdy, I looked it up on Psyc Info. Two hits and they're both articles in a book discussing single case studies.

I'm apparently equally as nerdy, because that's exactly the type of thing I would do--and have done, :)

I'm apparently equally as nerdy, because that's exactly the type of thing I would do--and have done, :)

I too am guilty. It's been beaten into me: When confronted with a topic with which I am unfamiliar I first check Dr. Google to get a ballpark idea of what is involved, and then I check out PsychINFO, MedLine, etc. to see what published (peer-reviewed) literature is out there on the topic.

Core Energetics for treating trauma? Anyone ever heard of this? Their website doesn't talk about efficacy at all.

"Core Energetics can be powerful; as a result, clients are able to transform their issues to become more aware of their truth, and feel pleasure and fulfillment."

Pa-leaseeeee......:rolleyes:

For someone who has dedicated her life to PSYCHOLOGY...she sure doesn't seem to utilize even its most basic principles. PTSD treatments such as PE and in-vivo exposure hiearchies are probably about as basic psychology as you can get. It's behavioral principle (habitituation) is spelled out in Psych 101 for goodness sake! Why psychologists, of all people, would choose to ignore it, is beyond me.

Last edited:
I definitely believe that you work in marketing.

I found this post in response to an individual who is completing her dissertation at Capella and who posted her opinion of Capella to be quite rude.

I am ABD at Capella and have found the their PhD in General Psychology to be more intense academically than all of the B & M degrees I have thus far received which include a Bachelor in Music (Music Therapy) and two Masters Degrees (Social Work and Master of Science in Information Technology). I am not pursuing a PhD for licensing purposes but more for learning and hopefully to be able to teach online as it my preferred way of learning and I am disabled and it would allow me to keep on working.

The program and research requirements are quite rigorous. If I was more comfortable with statistics I would do a quantitative study (I did take 2 courses in statistics) but my love is qualitative research. My study will take longer due to the type of study I have chosen to do but my mentor has been there every step of the way and is very supportive.

Capella is expensive and may not be right for everyone. If I had wanted a PsyD, I would not have chosen Capella but they do require much more than 3 Colloquia for the PsyD. However, after having worked as a psychotherapist for 20 years the thought of doing an internship seemed ridiculous. For many students, especially those who are very self-motivated and don't need a lot of hand holding--Capella is an excellent choice for furthering ones education.

Last edited:
The program and research requirements are quite rigorous. If I was more comfortable with statistics I would do a quantitative study

Um...do I really have to point out the obvious?

However, after having worked as a psychotherapist for 20 years the thought of doing an internship seemed ridiculous.

And you are resistant to supervision and learning new approaches too...that's fantastic.

Last edited:
I found this post in response to an individual who is completing her dissertation at Capella and who posted her opinion of Capella to be quite rude.

I am ABD at Capella and have found the their PhD in General Psychology to be more intense academically than all of the B & M degrees I have thus far received which include a Bachelor in Music (Music Therapy) and two Masters Degrees (Social Work and Master of Science in Information Technology). I am not pursuing a PhD for licensing purposes but more for learning and hopefully to be able to teach online as it my preferred way of learning and I am disabled and it would allow me to keep on working.

The program and research requirements are quite rigorous. If I was more comfortable with statistics I would do a quantitative study (I did take 2 courses in statistics) but my love is qualitative research. My study will take longer due to the type of study I have chosen to do but my mentor has been there every step of the way and is very supportive.

Capella is expensive and may not be right for everyone. If I had wanted a PsyD, I would not have chosen Capella but they do require much more than 3 Colloquia for the PsyD. However, after having worked as a psychotherapist for 20 years the thought of doing an internship seemed ridiculous. For many students, especially those who are very self-motivated and don't need a lot of hand holding--Capella is an excellent choice for furthering ones education.

You don't feel comfortable enough with stats to do a quantitative study, and you're almost about to be a PhD? You don't see something wrong with that?

Edit: Oh, Erg already pointed it out. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't feel comfortable enough with stats to do a quantitative study, and you're almost about to be a PhD? You don't see something wrong with that?

Edit: Oh, Erg already pointed it out. Oh well.

Cara, Statistics is hard.

These topics seem to keep popping up with Capella, which is concerning. It is frustrating to hear because traditional training programs not only require rigorous study in all of these areas, but they demand it.

It's okay, I don't think you work in marketing. No one in marketing would admit they are trying to get a Ph.D. yet are uncomfortable with statistics.

After reading five pages of post on Capella'a value and I felt the need to state, Capella is worth all the time, energy, and money that I have spent pursuing my PhD in general psychology. I am writing my proposal and enjoying learning qualitiative methods.

Yes, I have faced some negatives when I mention that I am earning my doctorate from a "for profit online school"; however, I know I earned my others degrees from great traditional schools. I was told by a dean of the business school that he would never hire someone from Capella. I was shocked by his boldness, but I understood his ignorance. He forgot we were both sitting in the same meeting, at the same university, and discussing the same problems. I did not need him to hire me. I was already hired by the same university. I keep in mind that I am ambitious, smart, and educated. I will face discrimination on many levels. Therefore, I will just add more strategies to address the biases I encounter based on pursuing a degree at Capella University.:thumbup:

After reading five pages of post on Capella'a value and I felt the need to state, Capella is worth all the time, energy, and money that I have spent pursuing my PhD in general psychology. I am writing my proposal and enjoying learning qualitiative methods.

Yes, I have faced some negatives when I mention that I am earning my doctorate from a "for profit online school"; however, I know I earned my others degrees from great traditional schools. I was told by a dean of the business school that he would never hire someone from Capella. I was shocked by his boldness, but I understood his ignorance. He forgot we were both sitting in the same meeting, at the same university, and discussing the same problems. I did not need him to hire me. I was already hired by the same university. I keep in mind that I am ambitious, smart, and educated. I will face discrimination on many levels. Therefore, I will just add more strategies to address the biases I encounter based on pursuing a degree at Capella University.:thumbup:

"Capella is worth all the time, energy, and money that I have spent pursuing my PhD in general psychology."

Maybe I'm missing the outcome in the above post.... in what way did Capella pay off, other than knowing that your degree is worthless in the opinion of your coworker/boss?

After reading five pages on this thread, I still can't figure out what the point of a Ph.D. in general psychology is. It seems that by the time someone has their doctorate, they should have specialized beyond "general." I did a Masters in General Psych that I found very worthwhile. Even by the end of those two years, however, I was itching for my training to become more specialized.

The search I did was admittedly quick, but I couldn't find any B&M schools offering this degree--only online schools.

After reading five pages on this thread, I still can't figure out what the point of a Ph.D. in general psychology is. It seems that by the time someone has their doctorate, they should have specialized beyond "general." I did a Masters in General Psych that I found very worthwhile. Even by the end of those two years, however, I was itching for my training to become more specialized.

The search I did was admittedly quick, but I couldn't find any B&M schools offering this degree--only online schools.

To write books and feel good about yourself?

Come on, her website says "Cutting edge research on trauma and PTSD has revealed that working with the body is essential for healing." That's not good enough for you?;)

After reading five pages on this thread, I still can't figure out what the point of a Ph.D. in general psychology is.

Agree 100%. Most of the posts boil down to "I am getting it, and I love it, and everyone discriminates against me but I will just try harder. Go Capella!" But what is the point? What kind of jobs can you get?

Agree 100%. Most of the posts boil down to "I am getting it, and I love it, and everyone discriminates against me but I will just try harder. Go Capella!" But what is the point? What kind of jobs can you get?

Mostly private practice. I have seen multiple clinicians advertise as Dr. So and So, though they were only able to get licensed at the MS level. I did a quick Google search for Psychology Today's Therapist Directory and Capella, and the first licensed provider......is licensed at the MS level, has a degree from Capella, and she calls herself "Dr." :rolleyes: It may be semantics, but it is deceptive because she lists a doctorate in psychology, but a licensure search turns up licensure in Marriage & Family Therapy.

Mostly private practice. I have seen multiple clinicians advertise as Dr. So and So, though they were only able to get licensed at the MS level. I did a quick Google search for Psychology Today's Therapist Directory and Capella, and the first licensed provider......is licensed at the MS level, has a degree from Capella, and she calls herself "Dr." :rolleyes: It may be semantics, but it is deceptive because she lists a doctorate in psychology, but a licensure search turns up licensure in Marriage & Family Therapy.

Oh, great, so Capella is raking in money so that masters-level clinicians can use deceptive marketing strategies. Just marvelous :thumbup:.

Seriously, I hope the various ethics boards create some regulations around this issue. That would be like me (in a few years) walking into a hospital and saying "I'm a doctor" and then not bothering to clarify when people start asking for medical advice.

Oh, great, so Capella is raking in money so that masters-level clinicians can use deceptive marketing strategies. Just marvelous :thumbup:.

Seriously, I hope the various ethics boards create some regulations around this issue. That would be like me (in a few years) walking into a hospital and saying "I'm a doctor" and then not bothering to clarify when people start asking for medical advice.

Physicians are good about getting requirements that people identify their profession in the same sentence as they call themselves doctor. I'm not sure at what level this requirement is put into place but I've read about it in reference to the DNP degree.

Physicians are good about getting requirements that people identify their profession in the same sentence as they call themselves doctor. I'm not sure at what level this requirement is put into place but I've read about it in reference to the DNP degree.

Now, now. I admit that I don't remember who participated in the thread, but I recently asked about the ethics of a recent doctoral graduate calling him/herself "Dr." while still only licensed at the master's level. The response was unanimously that once one has that PhD/PsyD/whatever degree in their hand, there is nothing wrong with calling them "Dr."--in the words of one respondent to my question, the agreement was that they deserved it.

Now, bring up Capella, and suddenly it's deceptive?? Okay, I admit, this has absolutely nothing to do with Capella, but what's the difference between this and your average run-of-the-mill recent PsyD graduate, working as a private practice (masters-licensed) therapist, calling him/herself "Dr."?

Now, now. I admit that I don't remember who participated in the thread, but I recently asked about the ethics of a recent doctoral graduate calling him/herself "Dr." while still only licensed at the master's level. The response was unanimously that once one has that PhD/PsyD/whatever degree in their hand, there is nothing wrong with calling them "Dr."--in the words of one respondent to my question, the agreement was that they deserved it.

Now, bring up Capella, and suddenly it's deceptive?? Okay, I admit, this has absolutely nothing to do with Capella, but what's the difference between this and your average run-of-the-mill recent PsyD graduate, working as a private practice (masters-licensed) therapist, calling him/herself "Dr."?

I think you grossly misunderstood what we said in that thread, if its the same one I'm thinking about at least.

You do not ID yourself as "Dr.", in a clinical setting/to patients, if you are not actually practicing with that degree. Stating this potrays you as a doctoral level clinical psychologist, when in fact, you are not. To play dumb about what this suggests to patients about your degree/qualifications is NOT a valid excuse. I really dont think this is a debatable issue.

I think you grossly misunderstood what we said in that thread, if its the same one I'm thinking about at least.

Well, I'm glad to hear that, actually...

You do not ID yourself as "Dr.", in a clinical setting/to patients, if you are not actually practicing with that degree. Stating this potrays you as a doctoral level clinical psychologist, when in fact, you are not. To play dumb about what this suggests to patients about your degree/qualifications is NOT a valid excuse. I really dont think this is a debatable issue.

That is exactly what I think, too.

If you have a degree, I see no reason why you can't be called "Dr." in a clinical setting.

If you have a masters in social work and Ph.D in Art History, are you providing doctoral-level clinical services? No. But, is that the message you are sending to your patients and what your patient likely assumes when you call yourself "Dr.?" Yes.

Is this practice in keeping with the spirit of full disclosure/informed consent? Do you think this could be construed as violation of 5.01 in the mind of a reasonable practitioner?

Last edited:
If you have a degree, I see no reason why you can't be called "Dr." in a clinical setting. If you are not licensed, you should be having the spiel with your clients that you are still under supervision, will be discussing the case with your supervisor, etc.

You are mixing up the two arguments. My point above was that there are people who are licensed at the MASTERS level (Marriage and Family, Mental Health Counseling, Counseling, etc), but they go by the title of "Dr." because they have a DOCTORAL degree that may or may not be within their area of clinical practice.

Hypothetically, if I go to see Dr. Jane Smith for psychotherapy, I expect that Dr. Smith is actually licensed and practicing in the area of psychology at the doctoral level. If Dr. Smith is licensed as a Mental Health Counselor and has a doctorate in Public Health (no associated license), that is misleading. Even if you change her doctoral degree to Early Childhood Development (no associated license), that is still misleading. Now let's change her doctoral degree to General Psychology (no associated license), that is just as misleading because she is providing CLINICAL services using a title from a NON-CLINICAL degree. The fact she is licensed at the MASTERS level just allows the practice to not be out and out illegal, though I'd definitely question the ethics of the situation.

Agreed. I also thought this was the consensus of the thread in question. If you want to refer to yourself as Doctor Whatever when you make plane reservations or send out formal invitations, fine. If you use that title in a clinical setting, though, your doctorate better dang well be in the field you are representing.

See: Dr. Laura. Heh.

Isn't her doctorate in physiology or something like that?

I agree with most other posters--when people think of a "Dr." therapist, they think of a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist or at least someone with a PhD in an applied psychology field, in the case of post-docs. If that is not what you are, it is ethically hazy to present yourself as "Dr." in a clinical context, IMO.

Isn't her doctorate in physiology or something like that?

I agree with most other posters--when people think of a "Dr." therapist, they think of a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist or at least someone with a PhD in an applied psychology field, in the case of post-docs. If that is not what you are, it is ethically hazy to present yourself as "Dr." in a clinical context, IMO.

Yep, physiology. Back when I had satellite radio for a couple months while renting cars for internship interviews, I caught a segment of her program. She was wailing on some caller's therapist because said therapist was working with the individual to problem solve ways of finding an answer for herself (had something to do with a pet) rather than simply telling the caller what she "should" do. It was at that point I began hoping her doctorate wasn't in psychology.

Harvard also wasn't APA-accredited until June 4, 2008. They are extremely research-focused and I've heard that students who went there had no need for APA-accreditation as they pursued academic careers.

But you are not really comparing that to capella, or do you?

Baby Massage for Dummies....??

I think it is like Doga Yoga, but with babies.

Frankly, I have no idea why psychologists are worried about other psychologists "bringing the field down". It is obvious that our years of training and experience should be focused on things like this and not BOOOOOORING stuff like EBTs. :rolleyes:

I am sorry to bring this thread back, but I googled "Capella University PsyD" and it came up. I just wanted to point out that all the low-post-count Capella and former Capella students list themselves as MD/PhD students and sign their posts with a formal closing. I say it's the same person writing them all, or they all get a standardized layout from some marketing coordinator. Heh...

You are mixing up the two arguments. My point above was that there are people who are licensed at the MASTERS level (Marriage and Family, Mental Health Counseling, Counseling, etc), but they go by the title of "Dr." because they have a DOCTORAL degree that may or may not be within their area of clinical practice.

Hypothetically, if I go to see Dr. Jane Smith for psychotherapy, I expect that Dr. Smith is actually licensed and practicing in the area of psychology at the doctoral level. If Dr. Smith is licensed as a Mental Health Counselor and has a doctorate in Public Health (no associated license), that is misleading. Even if you change her doctoral degree to Early Childhood Development (no associated license), that is still misleading. Now let's change her doctoral degree to General Psychology (no associated license), that is just as misleading because she is providing CLINICAL services using a title from a NON-CLINICAL degree. The fact she is licensed at the MASTERS level just allows the practice to not be out and out illegal, though I'd definitely question the ethics of the situation.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you have a doctorate in Clinical Psychology, PhD or PsyD, with no license but work in an exempt setting?

I think the aforementioned examples are misleading and dubious, so there is no argument from me there. Just curious about what criteria would be acceptable. I think illustrating where the line is, so to speak, would be helpful.

Quite a fascinating discussion. I haven't really followed this topic in...years now (god, where does the time go) but the debate is still interesting. I used to be fairly defensive of these online schools and online programs in clinical psychology, but I have had a bit of a change of heart. After actually receiving graduate level, clinical training, psychology and otherwise, I don't see how you could do it online. So much of this kind of training involves face to face interaction, a trusted expert monitoring you, correcting you, in real time. How can you get that over a computer or at a few weekend seminars? How can you develop those interpersonal skills, the professional skills, the confidence, the judgment of correct and incorrect, if you are working mostly on simulations in front of a computer screen? How can you feel confident, as a clinician, sometimes dealing with life and death issues, if that is your training?

And one thing I didn't understand when I was an undergrad, defending online training, is the time commitment of this type of training. I am no longer involved with psychology but in my current program, between classes, studying, clinical training, I am spending 65+ hours a week on school. How can you learn the necessary skills and have a thorough understanding of the science behind them, if you are also holding down a full time job that has nothing to do with your future career? It might work if you were getting your B.S. in psychology but earning a doctorate is nothing like that.

Can we really say that you can spend your day working as an accountant and spend your evenings and weekends training to be a psychologist? This isn't like learning how to play the guitar. Becoming a psychologist isn't a hobby or a side project. The idea that you work full time and earn your PsyD is completely ridiculous. Even considering that is nuts and actually doing it is quite scary. The point is, in order to be good at what you do and even to just be minimally component, you need to be fully immersed in your training. You can't have your attention scattered in 10 different directions.

Now, I am sure there are some doctorates you could earn online and it would make no difference. Maybe getting a doctorate in art history or something online would be good enough. And I certainly think there are some limited aspects of becoming a health care professional, psychologist, medical doctor, dentist, whatever, that could be done online. We dont' have to shun online training 100%. Maybe a few courses or something but the whole damn thing? I can't see how that would actually work well. There is a bigger picture. It isn't all about you, the student, and you fulfilling your life time goal of getting your PsyD or whatever. Other people's lives are at stake. Your clients, their friends, their family, their children. All of that has to be taken into account, as well. Sure you can get your degree and earn that fancy title but what about the people that will depend on you? You need to wonder if that online training you get, will help them and if not, then your what you are doing is quite dangerous.

End rant.

I also have this interesting video, if any of you have never seen it. It is a PBS documentary about for-profit colleges. It is probably a bit more negative than it needs to be but still some relevant insight into discussions like this.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/collegeinc/view/

Thanks for the link. Every high school/undergrad institution should show this video.