The Caribe Is Shaping Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRJJ1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Caribe Schools That Are Legit Are Shaping Up Nicely And Manyy Manyyy Are Making It To Higher Levels Nowadays As A Usa Citizen And Proud Of Being American I Can Say The Usa Is Not The Only Place We Can Get A Good Solid Med Education And Even Though The Medical Usa Ego Is Sky High There Are Still Other Schools Abroad That Can Match And Surpass The Usa Medical Education System........

Members don't see this ad.

The Caribe Schools That Are Legit Are Shaping Up Nicely And Manyy Manyyy Are Making It To Higher Levels Nowadays As A Usa Citizen And Proud Of Being American I Can Say The Usa Is Not The Only Place We Can Get A Good Solid Med Education And Even Though The Medical Usa Ego Is Sky High There Are Still Other Schools Abroad That Can Match And Surpass The Usa Medical Education System........

What is the point of this thread? You didnt open any discussion or make any real points.

Members don't see this ad :)
i kind of think the opposite the carib is doombed. the US is opening up new MD schools, and the number of DO schools is growing very fast as well. I have also noticed that some program directors favor US DO students over carib students for residencies. If I was applying to med school today I would go to a DO school over carib in a second.

i kind of think the opposite the carib is doombed. the US is opening up new MD schools, and the number of DO schools is growing very fast as well. I have also noticed that some program directors favor US DO students over carib students for residencies. If I was applying to med school today I would go to a DO school over carib in a second.

Debated both long and hard...I chose SGU in the end. SGU had similar if not better residency spots than the top DO schools (if you factor out the AOA residency spots i.e. those only open to DOs). SGU still had a few derms, opthos, orthos, gen surgs, radoncs, a bunch of radiologys and anesthesiologies, and IMs & Peds at good places.

No way this person is a native of the US. When I read this I imagined someone with a Borat-like accent reading it.

Medical USA ego is sky high. Kazakstan doctor diagnose hemorrhage no using CT scan much better than EGO USA medical system.

I think the post can be explained by a Kazakstanian with parkinsons. The ESL explains the terrible grammar and the resting tremor helps explain the seemingly random capitlizations and extra letters

Debated both long and hard...I chose SGU in the end. SGU had similar if not better residency spots than the top DO schools (if you factor out the AOA residency spots i.e. those only open to DOs). SGU still had a few derms, opthos, orthos, gen surgs, radoncs, a bunch of radiologys and anesthesiologies, and IMs & Peds at good places.

I decided to check out the match list from SGU. You were a bit off:
0 derm
0 optho
1 rads
1 rad onc
3 ortho

Here are some other competitive specialties: Uro 0, Vasc surg 0, Neuro surg 0, plastics 0, ENT 0

I think that most DO schools post similar if not better numbers to Allopathic programs than the current SGU match list. In addition they post some competitive specialties in DO programs too.

The thing is that SGU has 450+ graduates, double and sometimes triple most other schools. So really this didnt exactly support that the Caribbean is shaping up.

:laugh:

you're funny pal

So what are we supposed to discuss here?

0 derm
0 optho
1 rads
1 rad onc
3 ortho

Here are some other competitive specialties: Uro 0, Vasc surg 0, Neuro surg 0, plastics 0, ENT 0

I think that most DO schools post similar if not better numbers to Allopathic programs than the current SGU match list. In addition they post some competitive specialties in DO programs too.

The thing is that SGU has 450+ graduates, double and sometimes triple most other schools. So really this didnt exactly support that the Caribbean is shaping up.

For comparison's sake... I thought I'd mention several of KCUMB-COM's 2008 match list (200 graduates):

anesthesia 11
diagnostic radiology 6
neurosurgery 1
orthopedic surgery 7
otolaryngology (ENT) 3
urology 1

You will find similar (if not better) class profiles at most other DO schools.

0 derm
0 optho
1 rads
1 rad onc
3 ortho

you looked at the wrong place. http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/2008/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY2&Count=-1

you have to click on pgy2 to see all the good stuff because most didn't match into categorical residencies, their pgy1 year is listed as medicine most of the time.

No way this person is a native of the US. When I read this I imagined someone with a Borat-like accent reading it.

Medical USA ego is sky high. Kazakstan doctor diagnose hemorrhage no using CT scan much better than EGO USA medical system.

I think the post can be explained by a Kazakstanian with parkinsons. The ESL explains the terrible grammar and the resting tremor helps explain the seemingly random capitlizations and extra letters

0 derm
0 optho
1 rads
1 rad onc
3 ortho

Did you actually check SGUs matchlist fully? There were atleast 2 opthos, 3 orthos, and 15ish rads (will count and get back to you) and 20ish anesths (will also count and get back to you) 2 Rad oncs atleast...if you look at pgy2 and pgy3 years some of the internal meds and gen surgeries will transition into other fields like ENT, derm or internal med at more competitive places...etc

Did you actually check SGUs matchlist fully? There were atleast 2 opthos, 3 orthos, and 15ish rads (will count and get back to you) and 20ish anesths (will also count and get back to you) 2 Rad oncs atleast...if you look at pgy2 and pgy3 years some of the internal meds and gen surgeries will transition into other fields like ENT, derm or internal med at more competitive places...etc

the only thing is - if the # of graduates is really 3-400+, those numbers are still not good, they're bad. unless your point was just that "it's possible to get into a competitive specialty", which I don't think anyone would disagree with anyway. of course it's possible, just much less likely, and much harder. and plus, it doesn't say what year they graduated, so it's possible that the people who matched into more competitive specialties/locations took off time to do research, intern, reapply, etc. just something to keep in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have the pgy 2 sgu list on an excel sheet and looking at right now, They were 20 anesthesia 11 radiology, 3 ortho,1 opto, 2 radiation oncology, 14 gen surgery 148 internal medicine, 59 family medicine, 53 peds, 23 obgyn, 28 emergency med,etc.. there were 424 matches reported. 69% of sgu grads did primary care (internal med + family med+obgyn+peds). There is 7 more Family med then they were anestheisia+rads+ortho+opto+derm+rad onc+surgery

I personally dont understand going oversees, compared to a DO if you want a competitive feild.. school like nycom has 45% rate for primary care. And school like kcom, pcom had around 33%, dmu 37%, umdnj 45%. I know it is a bad way to judge anything, but even if DO- carib MD is a wash and about the same in allopathic residency, osteo schools atleast have there own resdencies (1000 of them, including almost 40 ortho and 20 derm). I feel it is alot easier to get an competitive residency as a DO. Obviously a US MD is the easiest.

You can do well, if you work hard though.

I have the pgy 2 sgu list on an excel sheet and looking at right now, They were 20 anesthesia 11 radiology, 3 ortho,1 opto, 2 radiation oncology, 14 gen surgery 148 internal medicine, 59 family medicine, 53 peds, 23 obgyn, 28 emergency med. there were 424 matches reported. 69% of sgu grads did primary care (internal med + family med+obgyn+peds). They is 7 more Family med then they were anestheisia+rads+ortho+opto+derm+rad onc+surgery

I personally dont understand going oversees, compared to a DO if you want a competitive feild.. school like nycom has 45% rate for primary care. And school like kcom, pcom had around 33%, dmu 37%, umdnj 45%. I know it is a bad way to judge anything, but even if DO- carib MD is a wash and about the same in allopathic residency, osteo schools atleast have there own resdencies (1000 of them, including almost 40 ortho and 20 derm). I feel it is alot easier to get an competitive residency as a DO. Obviously a US MD is the easiest.

You can do well, if you work hard though.

Because not everyone has the option of going DO. Some people have tried at least twice to get into a US school, both MD and DO. When you have tried at least twice to get into a DO school, then its time to think about going overseas if you really want to be a physician. You'll have to work harder to prove you're capable, but if you want it bad enough, you can do well in the Caribbean and end up getting a residency in the US. You probably won't have as much of a shot at a competitive residency if you go that route, but its still a possibility. You probably won't get derm or plastics, but there are a few who manage to get general surgery or EM provided that they get good grades, obtain excellent USMLE scores, and get great letters of recommendation.

This is an interesting discussion about the constant debate comparing DO and carribean med schools. So, according to you guys, a DO has a much better shot at getting a specialty? I am thinking about going to SGU, I have an interest in general surgery and peds. Is it better to go to a DO school to get into these fields?

Because not everyone has the option of going DO. Some people have tried at least twice to get into a US school, both MD and DO. When you have tried at least twice to get into a DO school, then its time to think about going overseas if you really want to be a physician. You'll have to work harder to prove you're capable, but if you want it bad enough, you can do well in the Caribbean and end up getting a residency in the US. You probably won't have as much of a shot at a competitive residency if you go that route, but its still a possibility. You probably won't get derm or plastics, but there are a few who manage to get general surgery or EM provided that they get good grades, obtain excellent USMLE scores, and get great letters of recommendation.

In this scenario, then yes of course one should consider the Caribbean route. But if someone failed to get in the first time they should have considered some of the other options before their second time applying. Many medical schools (including DO programs) have a post-bacc/master's program that are essentially feeder schools to their medical program.

KCUMB, for example, has the College of Biosciences. It is a 1 year degree and if you finish with at least a B in every subject you are guaranteed a spot in the incoming MS1 class the following year.

So, according to you guys, a DO has a much better shot at getting a specialty? I am thinking about going to SGU, I have an interest in general surgery and peds. Is it better to go to a DO school to get into these fields?

Well, general surgery and pediatrics aren't competitive residencies, so I don't think you'll be in a terrible position by heading to the caribb route (though surgery often has more old-school minded program directors than most of the other specialties). You definitely have more opportunities as a DO. I went into medical school thinking I wanted to do pediatrics (hey, who doesn't like kids?) but after 3+ months of clinic work I realized that I wanted to pursue a more cerebral specialty (I am now gunning for radiology or neurosurgery).

More important than even the greater opportunity-aspect of DO's, you will have a MUCH larger cushion of failure by going DO. If you slip up at any point in the caribbean (particularly if you tank boards), you are up s**t's creek. You will have a nightmare experience trying to secure ANY residency in the states.

I study at a local starbucks and it is definitely a medical powerhouse, littered with med students from our state school. They have this demure smug, and complacent attitude about themselves. I understand that they were successful in getting "in", but they had a way in which they degraded DO's and carribean schools basically saying that these programs are not worthy.

A part of me says, "lets just move forward", if I am not competitive for US med schools, lets just go the carribean (SGU/Ross primarily) and prove myself there, but then again I see so many ppl in SMP programs making every effort to get into a US program. and to tell you the truth, I don't know about the DO route, it just seems like it will not be my cup of tea explaining to ppl what my DO degree entails and how it is different from an MD.

I am 25, with a wife and 1 year old son, so definitely I have this pressure to start a program fast. What are your thoughts on what I should look into? (I have a 3.4ish overall no science major and middle of the road BCPM. I got A's in Biology and B's in physics, but I had to retake gen chem I/II to get B's and for Orgo i got a C+ and A in I/II respectively.) I still have this keen interest in surgery, but it may just be a illusion that I may have about being one. It seems like everyone wants to have a 9-5 job that pays well, atleast that is what I get from the med students at the coffee shop.

A part of me says, "lets just move forward", if I am not competitive for US med schools, lets just go the carribean (SGU/Ross primarily) and prove myself there, but then again I see so many ppl in SMP programs making every effort to get into a US program. and to tell you the truth, I don't know about the DO route, it just seems like it will not be my cup of tea explaining to ppl what my DO degree entails and how it is different from an MD.

I am 25, with a wife and 1 year old son, so definitely I have this pressure to start a program fast. What are your thoughts on what I should look into? (I have a 3.4ish overall no science major and middle of the road BCPM. I got A's in Biology and B's in physics, but I had to retake gen chem I/II to get B's and for Orgo i got a C+ and A in I/II respectively.) I still have this keen interest in surgery, but it may just be a illusion that I may have about being one. It seems like everyone wants to have a 9-5 job that pays well, atleast that is what I get from the med students at the coffee shop.

So you would rather head to the caribbean and effectively remove your chance of getting into a number of medical specialties, because you're afraid your pride will be damaged by a couple of immature medical students?

I'll let you in on a secret. This elitism attitude you fear continues on even past your degree status. If you go to an allopathic medical school (hey hey, you're an American MD now... everything will be fine, right?), but then decide to pursue family medicine... those same people assume you weren't a good enough medical student to get into internal medicine or general surgery. Or you get into general surgery, it becomes... "wow, he's chosen the lowest rung of the surgery fields, I guess he wasn't good enough to get into ENT or orthopedics... nobody in their right mind would do general surgery unless they were desperate". And of course you have the neurosurgeons that look down on everyone. Its all BS. Either you spend your life worrying about catering to these clowns, or you focus on what should really be important in your life. Seriously, why do you care what they think?

Thanks for your advice. You are right, there is no end to satisfying others. Do you think I should go to carribean, or continue with a SMP in my situation?

Thanks for your advice. You are right, there is no end to satisfying others. Do you think I should go to carribean, or continue with a SMP in my situation?

I would continue with the SMP and try at least one more time to get into a US school because as a US grad, you get dibs when it comes to getting into a residency. If you can't get into a US school, then try for the Caribbean. And try for more reputable Caribbean schools first, like SGU, Ross, or AUC.

Medical schools in Western Europe, Australia, and Canada have been known to produce world class physicians for decades.

So you would rather head to the caribbean and effectively remove your chance of getting into a number of medical specialties, because you're afraid your pride will be damaged by a couple of immature medical students?

I'll let you in on a secret. This elitism attitude you fear continues on even past your degree status. If you go to an allopathic medical school (hey hey, you're an American MD now... everything will be fine, right?), but then decide to pursue family medicine... those same people assume you weren't a good enough medical student to get into internal medicine or general surgery. Or you get into general surgery, it becomes... "wow, he's chosen the lowest rung of the surgery fields, I guess he wasn't good enough to get into ENT or orthopedics... nobody in their right mind would do general surgery unless they were desperate". And of course you have the neurosurgeons that look down on everyone. Its all BS. Either you spend your life worrying about catering to these clowns, or you focus on what should really be important in your life. Seriously, why do you care what they think?

I think that is the most solid piece of advice given to anyone who is looking to choose their given specialty. When it really comes down to it one has to choose a field in medicine that they find the most satisfaction and comfort in. I just had an interview at Ross on Tuesday (6/3/08) and one today for SGU (6/7/08). The SGU interviewer completed his general surgery residency and told me that he had no trouble on securing residency and neither did his classmates. What you should focus on IMO is finishing your program and apply again (EARLY!) to both US and as far as the carrib schools go apply to ROSS and SGU. I have done tons of research on the schools and as far as residencies go these two schools have solid placements at top university hospitals. Good luck and keep your dream close to you and only you and don't let people tell you otherwise. If they do then tell em to shuv it!

Isn't there an English requirement at your med school? You didn't even use any periods in that long post. Tisk......tisk. I hate to sound trollish. That just annoyed me. Are you sure you are an American? Is English your native tongue?

Medical schools in Western Europe, Australia, and Canada have been known to produce world class physicians for decades.

W europe, australia and canada's med schools make you stay in for more than 10 years?:laugh:

When it really comes down to it one has to choose a field in medicine that they find the most satisfaction and comfort in. I just had an interview at Ross on Tuesday (6/3/08) and one today for SGU (6/7/08). The SGU interviewer completed his general surgery residency and told me that he had no trouble on securing residency and neither did his classmates.

Clearly the SGU interviewer wasnt biased and didnt have anything to gain by telling you what he did.

0 derm
0 optho
1 rads
1 rad onc
3 ortho

ANTI-Caribbean RUBBISH

Sorry, but I chose SGU b/c I dont want to be bombarded with what is D.O. vs. M.D.?................... for the rest of my life! f that.

Whenever I read the title of this thread, I always miss the 'e' on "Caribe," and think to myself, "Why is there a beer thread in the Caribbean forum? And what have they done to Carib to make it taste better?"

Sorry, but I chose SGU b/c I dont want to be bombarded with what is D.O. vs. M.D.?................... for the rest of my life! f that.

Yeah, well, I never claimed to be speaking for you and everyone else who goes to the Caribbean. If you went because you didn't want to deal with the DO instead of MD after your name, fine. You have your reasons, others have theirs. I was only giving an example of why someone might decide to go to the Caribbean. I'm certainly not dumb enough to assume that everyone has the same motivations to go to a Caribbean school.

hey topgun did you ever get into school in the usa yet?

hey topgun did you ever get into school in the usa yet?

I'm not sure what you mean by "did I ever get into school in the usa yet?"
I've made it clear many times in my posts that I attended med school at St. George's in Grenada. Now if your question was "did I get into residency in the USA yet?", then yes, as a matter of fact I did. I'm currently an intern at an internal medicine program in Queens, NY.

i'm Not Sure What You Mean By "did I Ever Get Into School In The Usa Yet?"
I've Made It Clear Many Times In My Posts That I Attended Med School At St. George's In Grenada. Now If Your Question Was "did I Get Into Residency In The Usa Yet?", Then Yes, As A Matter Of Fact I Did. I'm Currently An Intern At An Internal Medicine Program In Queens, Ny.

Well That Is Wonderful

I'm not sure what you mean by "did I ever get into school in the usa yet?"
I've made it clear many times in my posts that I attended med school at St. George's in Grenada. Now if your question was "did I get into residency in the USA yet?", then yes, as a matter of fact I did. I'm currently an intern at an internal medicine program in Queens, NY.
so are the nurses in the public NYC hospitals as bad as we hear or no?

so are the nurses in the public NYC hospitals as bad as we hear or no?

Depends on the nurse. Some are really nice and really try to help you out. Others are rude or will page you for all kinds of stupid things.

"Some are great and try to help you out. Some are rude and will page you about stupid things".
That is the situation in other states, too, if it makes you feel any better!
Hang in there. Being a medicine intern is tough :)