THE Chicago Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretenda

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is this school considered the least favorable to go to in Chicago aside from location? Arent we supposed to be studying the first two years anyways? Their facilities seemed far nicer than some of the other schools, UIC's in particular, so I wonder what it is with the school that turns people off. Its match list was better than a lot of the other schools Ive been to and during my interview I was told that even schools like Duke have been on probation at one time or another. It is just a way of making schools get up to snuff. I was also told that they were put on probation due to some shady upper management but they cleaned house a few years ago to get rid of the trash. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

realistically there's nothing wrong with the school (assuming, as you said, that we won't count location). however, reputation is reputation. while the school may be much better now than it was, the older generation of docs don't know and/or don't care about that. so you still may run into trouble with that.

as for the match lists, it certainly does seem like they do as well as the other schools in the state. as far as "better," there have been many threads trying to determine what constitutes a "better" match list, and it really can't be determined. simply having more ortho matches doesn't make a list stronger because you have to account for what programs students wanted to apply to, the strength of the programs they got into (eg. someone who wants to go into interventional cardiology will want to get into a top IM program, but most people on SDN discount all IM matches and only look at the "competitive residencies" without accounting for the strength of the program)

Anyways, you wouldn't get an inferior education at RFU, but i wouldn't expect the tides to swing in favor of it becoming known as an elite institution in the area anytime in the near future either. changing a reputation takes a long time.

right...I shouldnt have used the term better. I meant just AS competitive as a lot of the schools I have been to.

I dont expect it to become an elite institution but it seems like they have put A LOT of work into it considering its reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Changing a reputation that is decades old is tough. At one time the stats that seemed to matter for admission to the school were pulse >20 and bank balance not less than $$$$$$$$. So, that's the perception of many "old timers" who've never set foot on the campus nor bothered to look at its match list or cared about changes that it may have made in recent years.

It's an american MD school. I'd love to go there if i don't get in anywhere this cycle but they rejected me preinterview.:smuggrin:

Changing a reputation that is decades old is tough. At one time the stats that seemed to matter for admission to the school were pulse >20 and bank balance not less than $$$$$$$$. So, that's the perception of many "old timers" who've never set foot on the campus nor bothered to look at its match list or cared about changes that it may have made in recent years.

my stats are good: 3.4 gpa at a hard school and a 30 mcat. plus research, volunteer, and lots of EC. My dad even has a bank balance of $$$$$$ (used to be $$$$$$$ before the stock market went down several years ago).

should i send them a LOI with a copy of the bank balance and ask them to interview me?

Yeah people complain about the location, but every medical school spends the first two years with your face buried in books. I would think that a "lame" location should be good for your studies since it would have less destractions. Honestly how much time will you spend outside of the schools facilities, car, and apt?

Is the Chicago Medical School Rush, Rosalind Franklin or neither? I have never heard of it...

the school has had many names: chicago med, finch, and now rosalind franklin.

when i interviewed there last year, i had no qualms with the school. seems like whatever changes they've made have been for the better.

Yeah people complain about the location, but every medical school spends the first two years with your face buried in books. I would think that a "lame" location should be good for your studies since it would have less destractions. Honestly how much time will you spend outside of the schools facilities, car, and apt?

RFU is great educational wise....very good basic science instruction (which accounts for the high board scores = good residencies). Anything outside of the classroom kinda sucks at RFU. Not many ECs to do, not much choice of research (there is a little bit of research going on, but we are never really exposed to it and I dont know a single person who does research), not many other depts at the school,....etc

But location is a major problem...and the whole you ll be studying 24/7 during med school idea is not true. You do have plenty of time. Depending on the grades you want you will have varying amounts of free time. Even if you are gunning for straight As you will still have considerable amounts of free time; and if you just want to pass you will have a lot of free time, probably more than you did in undergrad.

But location is a major problem...and the whole you ll be studying 24/7 during med school idea is not true. You do have plenty of time. Depending on the grades you want you will have varying amounts of free time. Even if you are gunning for straight As you will still have considerable amounts of free time; and if you just want to pass you will have a lot of free time, probably more than you did in undergrad.

It's not that far from Chicago downtown though, that should give u fair amount of focus on studying, and meanwhile going out for fun whenever u're free. R u in RFU now?

Is the Chicago Medical School Rush, Rosalind Franklin or neither? I have never heard of it...

Seriously. People make fun, but when I see RFU I think: AMERICAN MD SCHOOL=GREAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
RFU was put on probation and although their problems were not associated with academics, the stigma stuck and that's why people are willing to look their noses down on it. SDN is also an above average representation of the premed population and so more people here can afford to look down on 'lesser' medical schools.

I'm probably going to RFU but I will be living in Chicago (most likely Lakeview). I'll have to take the Metra-I'm trying to view this as 2 hours of forced studying per day. Anyway, if you're willing to put up with a train ride, Chicago is not that far away. Also, most RFU students move downtown for the M3 and M4 years.

People in Chicago seem to have a warped sense of commuting. My husband's co-workers think that the commute from Lakeview to the loop is unacceptable. Being from NYC suburbs, anything under an hour each way seems reasonable.

I'm probably going to RFU but I will be living in Chicago (most likely Lakeview). I'll have to take the Metra-I'm trying to view this as 2 hours of forced studying per day. Anyway, if you're willing to put up with a train ride, Chicago is not that far away. Also, most RFU students move downtown for the M3 and M4 years.

People in Chicago seem to have a warped sense of commuting. My husband's co-workers think that the commute from Lakeview to the loop is unacceptable. Being from NYC suburbs, anything under an hour each way seems reasonable.

or from metrodetroit, where 90 minutes each way for commuting is acceptable. and where walking, riding the bike, or taking any form of public transportation is unacceptable.

once u get off the train, isnt it still quite a bit of distance from the school...? are u planning to walk it...?

once u get off the train, isnt it still quite a bit of distance from the school...? are u planning to walk it...?

if i was accepted to a warm medical school (actually i'd take any school right now), then I'd just buy a motorcycle. plus everyone will think you're cool:cool: :cool:

RFU has a free shuttle from the Lake Bluff station. It comes in at the times the trains arrive from Chicago. I'm not going to be the only student commuting from Chicago to RFU. I'll have a car as well so I can drive on days that I need to.

Anything outside of the classroom kinda sucks at RFU. Not many ECs to do, not much choice of research (there is a little bit of research going on, but we are never really exposed to it and I dont know a single person who does research), not many other depts at the school,....etc

This is the second time you have posted this type of bogus information.

Trust me, there is plenty to do there. There are plenty of EC's to get involved with, from various clubs, to intramural sports, outside activities and projects, etc. I usually get 5+ daily emails about some activity happening on campus daily. For example, there is the yearly university wide talent show happening this Saturday, and plenty of activities planned for match week. There is plenty to do there if you want to get involved.

As far as reasearch...it's available if YOU want it. I knew plenty of people that have done both clinical and bench research there. There are yearly school wide events/research convocations that try to get students interested and also to present their projects.

As for the location...it isn't terrible at all. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area and great places to eat as well. You just have to explore a little to find them...but they exist. Downtown is a mere 30 minutes away and there is plenty of time to enjoy it as well. I went out plenty during my first two years.

And although there is no undergrad associated with it, there are still many health care proffessions represented...PA's, PT's, Podiatry, MdPhd...so there are plenty of people to interact with outside of your medical school class. It's a small school but in total there are over 1k students at RFU.

Chicago med school is the old name of RFU before they changed it a few years ago.

Yeah seems like an odd name for the sheer fact that there are so many Chicago med schools and that particular one isn't even in downtown Chicago but in a suburb of northern Chicago. :laugh: :laugh:

the school has had many names: chicago med, finch, and now rosalind franklin.

when i interviewed there last year, i had no qualms with the school. seems like whatever changes they've made have been for the better.

Ohh yeah!! I totally forgot about FINCH!! I think that's what they called it when my old classmate interviewed there back in 2003. He's now an M3 at Temple. They seem to change names faster then we can change our clothes. :laugh: :laugh:

Chicago med school is the old name of RFU before they changed it a few years ago.

Actually you're wrong. It is still the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University. Before it was Chicago Medical School at Finch University. CMS is just one of the schools under the university banner including a PA, podiatrist, pt, etc. programs.

Actually you're wrong. It is still the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University. Before it was Chicago Medical School at Finch University. CMS is just one of the schools under the university banner including a PA, podiatrist, pt, etc. programs.

Sorry I should have rephrased that.

I believe, and don't quote me on this but long time ago I believe it was just plain The Chicago Med school.

Then they chose to keep the CMS name for the med school but changed the name of the university itself to Finch and then to RFU.

That is what I read on SDN ages ago but I stand corrected if I'm wrong about that. :)

Sorry I should have rephrased that.

I believe, and don't quote me on this but long time ago I believe it was just plain The Chicago Med school.

Then they chose to keep the CMS name for the med school but changed the name of the university itself to Finch and then to RFU.

That is what I read on SDN ages ago but I stand corrected if I'm wrong about that. :)

I'm 90% sure that you are correct.

I love the RFU! It's the best that I've seen regarding the charisma of the student/faculty amongst the places I've interviewed at. I'll probably be going there this summer (Dr. Will we go out for coffee during my second look next month!) for MD-PhD. And plus their MD-PhD, though not MSTP, is fully funded for all 7/8 years with a stipend, and their research is really growing. They have great neuroscience research going on and are actively recruiting awesome faculty and researchers all over the country. I'm very excited about the opportunity. I guess it would be a tough choice if i'm offered a spot at Mayo where I'm waitlisted.....coz the dean and faculty at RFU have been so amazingly nice to me with their offers and arrangements, and Chicago is def. an awesome city. At Mayo, ppl are just way too snobby sometimes (no offense, but it's true...)

Interesting stuff.

As far as history goes the school started out as solely CMS when it was downtown across from Cook County hospital. It was set up mainly for Jews and other URM's (Jews at the time) since other schools had quotas. The school then moved to another location downtown and finally to North Chicago where it became a university with other schools under its banner. Changed from Finch to Rosalind Franklin the same way WorldCom changed its name after all the ish went down. For those of you that watch The Wire you know what Im talking about. Bad product, change the name. Bad reputation, change the name. Simple economics. It seems to me that they probably put all of the nicer facilities in at the same time they changed the name to try to rebuild that rep. Thanks for the posts though guys, as a lot of you have said, you cant change a reputation overnight.

North Chicago is a southside suburb on the northside of town. South of Lake Bluff is real nice where my parents live but my dad is a teacher up in North Chicago where things arent exactly "perfect." That being said there are a lot of nice restaurants in Highwood and Highland Park along with the same shops and amenities you would find downtown. But dont fool yourself into thinking it is downtown Chicago. North Chicago is about halfway between the city of Chicago and the city of Killwaukee.

This is the second time you have posted this type of bogus information.

Trust me, there is plenty to do there.
There are plenty of EC's to get involved with, from various clubs, to intramural sports, outside activities and projects, etc. I usually get 5+ daily emails about some activity happening on campus daily. For example, there is the yearly university wide talent show happening this Saturday, and plenty of activities planned for match week. There is plenty to do there if you want to get involved.

As far as reasearch...it's available if YOU want it. I knew plenty of people that have done both clinical and bench research there. There are yearly school wide events/research convocations that try to get students interested and also to present their projects.

As for the location...it isn't terrible at all. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area and great places to eat as well. You just have to explore a little to find them...but they exist. Downtown is a mere 30 minutes away and there is plenty of time to enjoy it as well. I went out plenty during my first two years.

And although there is no undergrad associated with it, there are still many health care proffessions represented...PA's, PT's, Podiatry, MdPhd...so there are plenty of people to interact with outside of your medical school class. It's a small school but in total there are over 1k students at RFU.

Info for people considering RFU:

I m a BMS student at RFU, and I have made some cool friends here. You are right that everyone here is super nice and the faculty is awesome and always willing to help. But the school does lack in some areas, mostly not their fault but of the location. Many of the professors do research, though I dont know a single med student who does research.

Other Depts: PA, PT, Pods, random advanced nursing courses. Very few MD/PHds. THe thing with all the depts is that people are only here for a max of 2 years then they are downtown rotating.

Downtown is not 30mins away, it is more like 45 mins without any traffic. 45 mins doesnt sound far, but its far enough to where you only really go 2 or 3 times a quarter (if that even), I go quite often, but its sometimes hard to find people that want to go.

There arent very many ECs to do here at all. There are random lunch time seminars, usually one a week and they email you like 20 times for each event so it may seem like there is a lot here. Intramural sports (football in fall, basketball and soccer in winter) that meet about once a week. The "talent show" is suppose to be the schools biggest yearly event...

Anything outside of taco bell, burgerking, KFC, McDonalds, Wendys, White Castle, subway, quiznos (i think i ve listed them all) you have to drive to lake forest, vernon hills, or gurnee all of which are about 20 mins away. Not horrible, but not something you would probably do everyday.

RFU is a great school academics wise, and their matchlist is very very impressive (comparable to many top 20 schools). ALso RFUs rotations sites are suppose to be very good also, some of the best in the country and they are mainly in downtown chicago.

If accepted I will go here next year.....will find out soon I hope.:thumbup:

NRAI,

Go to some restaurants in Highwood. There are a lot of good ones.

Miramar, Buffos, Hoagie Hut, Gabriels, Las Palmas to name a few.

I m a BMS student at RFU, and I have made some cool friends here. You are right that everyone here is super nice and the faculty is awesome and always willing to help. But the school does lack in some areas, mostly not their fault but of the location. Many of the professors do research, though I dont know a single med student who does research.

Other Depts: PA, PT, Pods, random advanced nursing courses. Very few MD/PHds. THe thing with all the depts is that people are only here for a max of 2 years then they are downtown rotating.

Downtown is not 30mins away, it is more like 45 mins without any traffic. 45 mins doesnt sound far, but its far enough to where you only really go 2 or 3 times a quarter (if that even), I go quite often, but its sometimes hard to find people that want to go.

There arent very many ECs to do here at all. There are random lunch time seminars, usually one a week and they email you like 20 times for each event so it may seem like there is a lot here. Intramural sports (football in fall, basketball and soccer in winter) that meet about once a week. The "talent show" is suppose to be the schools biggest yearly event...

Anything outside of taco bell, burgerking, KFC, McDonalds, Wendys, White Castle, subway, quiznos (i think i ve listed them all) you have to drive to lake forest, vernon hills, or gurnee all of which are about 20 mins away. Not horrible, but not something you would probably do everyday.

RFU is a great school academics wise, and their matchlist is very very impressive (comparable to many top 20 schools). ALso RFUs rotations sites are suppose to be very good also, some of the best in the country and they are mainly in downtown chicago.

Go to a student council meeting. They have monthly club reports. It's the worst part of the meeting b/c it takes close to an hour to get through 50+ clubs, organizations, and yearly events. I was part of the AP program, and as an AP student, I didn't get involved as much as during my M1 and M2 year b/c they were targeted more towards the medical students. They're there...and you are able to get involved if you want.

As for the surrounding neighborhoods...I used to study out there 4-5 times a week. Plenty to do, great restaurants, and great places to study off campus. Just b/c you have to drive 15-20 minutes doesn't make it a terrible place. I prefer being off campus anyways...but that's up to the individual.

no offense, but i agree with dr. will that you're kind of off here.

there are lots of good restaurants around the area. not walking distance or anything, but theyre there. we get free tickets to things like the lake forest symphony or sports events once in a while. there are lots of organized student events at fun places in and around the area, and downtown. if you want to get downtown, you can easily take the METRA for 10 bucks and have a nice little train ride to/from chicago. plenty of faculty do this. there is a shuttle to/from school and the train station. ravinia (a large garden & park/amphitheater that hosts cheap outdoor concerts all summer) is pretty close by (bw school & chicago). lake forest is not 20 minutes away, its 5 minutes away and is a quaint affluent town with a nice little mainstreet strip with a few bars, restaurants, shops, etc. gurnee is 10 minutes away and has just about everything.

there is plenty of research going on - plenty of students do it. just because you can't name any just means you dont associate with people who do research. there are basic science and clinical research opportunities. and there are lots of student clubs and organizations. i would encourage you to get involved next year.

i wouldnt go so far as to say the match list is "very very impressive", but yes, its pretty good. we match people into pretty much every speciatly every year, pretty consistent numbers. one or two into derm, one or two into neursurg, one or two into plastics, one or two into uro, half a dozen or so into ortho, maybe a dozen into surgery, a dozen or so in EM, lots into IM & peds of course, and a ~handful into the others. including "prestigious" programs, so the bottom line is great programs are open to you, you just need to work hard to get it.

It's less desirable than the other Chicago med schools because it does not have its own hospital. If you interview there and you like it, then go!

It's less desirable than the other Chicago med schools because it does not have its own hospital. If you interview there and you like it, then go!

This is overblown. We have affiliations with great hospitals (Cook County and the Advocate System) as well as a couple places where we are essentially the only medical students. I'm sure there are benefits to having your "own" hospital...but we have had no deficiency in our opportunities or clinical education.

no offense, but i agree with dr. will that you're kind of off here.

there are lots of good restaurants around the area. not walking distance or anything, but theyre there. we get free tickets to things like the lake forest symphony or sports events once in a while. there are lots of organized student events at fun places in and around the area, and downtown. if you want to get downtown, you can easily take the METRA for 10 bucks and have a nice little train ride to/from chicago. plenty of faculty do this. there is a shuttle to/from school and the train station. ravinia (a large garden & park/amphitheater that hosts cheap outdoor concerts all summer) is pretty close by (bw school & chicago). lake forest is not 20 minutes away, its 5 minutes away and is a quaint affluent town with a nice little mainstreet strip with a few bars, restaurants, shops, etc. gurnee is 10 minutes away and has just about everything.

there is plenty of research going on - plenty of students do it. just because you can't name any just means you dont associate with people who do research. there are basic science and clinical research opportunities. and there are lots of student clubs and organizations. i would encourage you to get involved next year.

i wouldnt go so far as to say the match list is "very very impressive", but yes, its pretty good. we match people into pretty much every speciatly every year, pretty consistent numbers. one or two into derm, one or two into neursurg, one or two into plastics, one or two into uro, half a dozen or so into ortho, maybe a dozen into surgery, a dozen or so in EM, lots into IM & peds of course, and a ~handful into the others. including "prestigious" programs, so the bottom line is great programs are open to you, you just need to work hard to get it.

Lake Forest is 10 to 15 mins away, Gurnee is more like 20 mins away...but either way not a super long distance.

I do go to Lake Forest a lot. I go to the college (Lake Forest College) to use their gym and to study at their library. LFC is really nice and has pretty good facilities. Though in the city of Lake Forest I found there arent really that many restaurants, besides a few cafes.

I do like RFU a lot more now than I did when I first came here. When I first started RFU I honestly really didnt like it; thought about quitting the program almost everyday. But i m glad I stuck with it and hopefully I still be here next year.

Downtown Chicago is AWESOME.

Lake Forest is 10 to 15 mins away, Gurnee is more like 20 mins away...but either way not a super long distance.

I do go to Lake Forest a lot. I go to the college (Lake Forest College) to use their gym and to study at their library. LFC is really nice and has pretty good facilities. Though in the city of Lake Forest I found there arent really that many restaurants, besides a few cafes.

I do like RFU a lot more now than I did when I first came here. When I first started RFU I honestly really didnt like it; thought about quitting the program almost everyday. But i m glad I stuck with it and hopefully I still be here next year.

Downtown Chicago is AWESOME.

Trust me...it's all worth it when you move downtown 3rd year. And even better when you're a 4th year with nothing but time. :thumbup:

North Chicago is a southside suburb on the northside of town. QUOTE]

Not all the South Suburbs are that bad--yeah Harvey, Markham, Dolton, Riverdale are ghettofabulous, but Flossmoor, Homewood, Olympia Fields, Tinley Park, etc are nice

To the OP, my parents both attended med school in the early 70's and their opinion of RFU is that its on par with Ross or St George; personally I've heard nothing but good things about the school

This is overblown. We have affiliations with great hospitals (Cook County and the Advocate System) as well as a couple places where we are essentially the only medical students. I'm sure there are benefits to having your "own" hospital...but we have had no deficiency in our opportunities or clinical education.

I'm not knocking the school. I'm just trying to answer the OPs question.

Not all the South Suburbs are that bad--yeah Harvey, Markham, Dolton, Riverdale are ghettofabulous, but Flossmoor, Homewood, Olympia Fields, Tinley Park, etc are nice

To the OP, my parents both attended med school in the early 70's and their opinion of RFU is that its on par with Ross or St George; personally I've heard nothing but good things about the school

just show them RFU's match list...that will settle the issue quickly.

just show them RFU's match list...that will settle the issue quickly.

Ya thats for sure. SGU and ROSS are decent schools, but RFU definitely has a much better matchlist and rotations sites.....but SGU and ROSS do offer some students a second chance at med school and some SGU students are able to match at pretty good places; h ell i might have even been at SGU if I hadnt done the BMS program this year.

Where did your parents go to school? RFU didnt exist in the 70s?

Ya thats for sure. SGU and ROSS are decent schools, but RFU definitely has a much better matchlist and rotations sites.....but SGU and ROSS do offer some students a second chance at med school and some SGU students are able to match at pretty good places; h ell i might have even been at SGU if I hadnt done the BMS program this year.

what is BMS? I keep thinking the "House of God" reference..."Best medical school"

Whats up with the quoting system on SDN...

I'm not knocking the school. I'm just trying to answer the OPs question.

I know you aren't. But this is a common reason and I'm just adding my 0.02 cents on the issue. :thumbup:

Right...This makes a lot of sense on why it would be less desirable. There may be relations with other hospitals but no hospital to call its own. Maybe that will change when the VA hospital is built next door.

I'm 90% sure that you are correct.

:laugh: :laugh:

Actually, on a side note what I'm about to say next is purely anecdotal, but the person who I knew who turned down RFU Chicago Med School did so because at the time of his application they had been on probation and he didn't want to risk it. Although, his gf being in fl. also had something to do with it.

I am willing to bet that at least a few of the people who have thought negatively in the past have done so because of the reasons LizzyM states: its former reputation as a bad school due to its old status of being on probation. That probationary status has since disappeared and they have shown really great matchlists so i can't imagine it to be a horrible school.

I do know a MS 2 who goes there and I also know an M3 at Temple that interviewed there but never heard back post interview.

Where did your parents go to school? RFU didnt exist in the 70s?

The Chicago Medical School has been around for nearly a century (the first class photo they have displayed on the wall outside our auditorium is from 1912 I think

The Chicago Medical School used to be downtown, took on the name Jenner Medical College for a brief few years back in the 20's, moved locations once within the city, then moved up to north chicago when it was folded into the "University of Health Sciences" (UHS) sometime in the 70's I think, which soon became Finch University of Health Sciences (FUHS). After some renovation, new buildings/wings, administrative housecleaning, and identity reupholstery, the university changed its name similar to the way Albert Einstein Med, Jefferson Med, George Washington U, Salk Institute, etc. have done, honoring Rosalind Franklin, a female scientist best known for her revolutionary work unraveling the structure of DNA who died young of ovarian cancer.

i think the school's vision for itself is sort of a boutique school of healthcare profession programs with strong community, strong graduates, happy, productive, close faculty relationships, and nice facilities, albeit small scale compared to some larger universities, that is close enough to chicago to be an easy commute but far enough away to have room to separate itself from metro life and the other 5 chicago medschools. i think they're getting there. there are a lot of those things permeating the halls here. as a student, i think the thing that makes me feel best about it is that the faculty and admin really really try to make you happy here and address possible issues/concerns that arise within their md classes openly, frankly, and reasonably.

now, thats just one perspective. there are times (like at most universities) when youre totally frustrated with stuff and wish you had it another way, but i would say most of the time most of the students are pretty content, working hard, and are going to be pretty damn successful.

because of the reasons LizzyM states: its former reputation as a bad school due to its old status of being on probation.

I never said anything about probation. The eye rolling that went along with CMS goes way back (20 years or more) and has more to do with low admission standards and a reputation of being very low in the academic pecking order. (Taking a facutly job was not seen in the same light as going to UChicago.)