The Correct Physics Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korndoctor

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
phys

Members don't see this ad.

I took the engineering physics course and it was a lot harder than the Pre-med version. I know this for a fact because my roommate was taking the pre-med version at the same time. OVerall, I dont think the engineering physics was really useful for the mcat or anything.

Pre med Physics deals with electrictiy and magnetism too (its on the MCAT) but spends a semister with Newton; its definatly easier then engineer physics but they do cover the same subjects.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,
I took Physics for Engineers and Scientists found that is was not that bad. It was a very practical course and very useful. It actually gave me something to do with my Applied Differential Equations course.

Take the Physics course that interests you and that you can do the best in. I was more than prepared for the MCAT physical science section with my course but people with less math background (I was a math minor) did have some difficulty with some of the theoretical portions of the course.

If you know that you are going into medicine, take the easiest physics course that will cover what you need for the MCAT. When I took physics, I was not pre-med and thus took the required course.

njbmd :)

korndoctor said:
For engineering, it's required that we take the engineers physics version that deals with electricity, magnetism, etc.

how does it compare with the other physics class that premeds usually take (physics with calculus)? in otherwards, will I be better prepared than my fellow premeds by taking the engineering physics class or will i be worse off?

Depends on what your major requires. I think the "pre-med" physics would be better easier AND better for the mcat

korndoctor said:
For engineering, it's required that we take the engineers physics version that deals with electricity, magnetism, etc.

how does it compare with the other physics class that premeds usually take (physics with calculus)? in otherwards, will I be better prepared than my fellow premeds by taking the engineering physics class or will i be worse off?

Its hard to say not knowing what university you are at or how physics is divided up over there.

At our university there are 2 sets of physics courses. The first is calculus based physics which is what all engineers take in the Physics 1 and 2 sequence. The other is non calc based physics which is what most premeds take. Premeds are given the opportunity to do either one.