The CSU Squeeze and Post-Baccs for California residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fishersucks

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So as many of you know the CSUs just underwent a budget cut. From what I heard not many were taking second bachelor's and it was hard to get classes via open enrollment, this would look to exacerbate the situation even further. For those of us that have issues with cash and can't afford USC, UCLA Extension or have issue withs grades and cannot get into Mills, Scripps, what are our options? All I can really think of is Harvard Extension. The great thing about the CSUs was they were cheap and you didn't need to already have a 3.3-3.6 to get in. What now for us?
 
I feel your pain Fisher,
I was planning on doing the second bachelor's degree at a CSU but when I couldn't get the classes I needed this semester, they said I had to reapply for the fall semester. Problem is, they aren't accepting applications for the fall semester. I was accepted into USC, and yes, the cost is frightening. I am considering delaying my master's degree a year so that I can take the classes at my grad school and still qualify for loans. Only other option in So Cal is a CC like SMC I guess, but there are risks to that too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so many 2nd baccs at my CSU. just apply through CSU mentor and theyll let you in.

its not that hard to get into some classes thru open enrollment, but bio classes are difficult since you're bottom of the priority.

also, it is not super cheap for open university...
 
so many 2nd baccs at my CSU. just apply through CSU mentor and theyll let you in.

its not that hard to get into some classes thru open enrollment, but bio classes are difficult since you're bottom of the priority.

also, it is not super cheap for open university...


What CSU do you go to? I thought only a few were taking 2nd bachelor's, and after the announcement a few days ago, I'm sure that will shrink further.
 
As 2nd bachelor, you pay grad student fee. if you take 3~4 class at ucla extension is about the same price..
 
CSU long beach. lots of ppl take micro major since it is like bio. and we have good micro professors.

well, we have a good CLS program

which is sort of like micro.

anyways, in my class of 20, 4-5 will be post bacs from berkeley, ucsd, oklahoma, etc.
 
If you need less than 10 courses, UCSD has a one-year, non-certificate program bio which enables you to take any course offered. And you are considered a 'regular' student for registration purposes.