The D.O. need to know!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papadoc2210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am applying in june to M.D. and D.O. schools. I originally was going to wait but I thought, what the heck, go for it!!! I just really started considering D.O. recently. I would love to know more about it. soooo if you could really tell me some info about D.O. school, I would really appreciate it!! I heard about the grade replacement policy. I know what D.O. school is about from a medical standpoint. But I don't know much about resendencies, COMPLEX, admissions and application(LOR and personal st.) process, or any other crucial pieces of info you all have learned throughout your admissions processes. If any of you have any info about LECOM in Bradenton, FL that would be amazing. Thanks a lot!!!

Members don't see this ad.

D.O. schools grant the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree. That grants you the same practice rights M.D.s have in the United States.

Currently, most industrialized nations categorize D.O. degrees with M.D. and MBBS degrees. Among those are Canada, Saudi Arabia, Israel, The UK and France. Some countries (like Uganda and Uruguay) don't allow D.O.s full practice rights.

If you go to DO school, you will take the comlex, and if you desire, the usmles. From my understanding the exams are nearly identical in content. Studying for one means studying for the other.

DOs can attempt to do any residency program they desire. ACGME residency spots are fully attainable, however more competitive residencies (like NS or Urology) tend to favor MDs. However Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and Neurology are easily attainable- general surgery as well it seems.

DOs have their own set of exclusive AOA residency programs as well, which only they can apply to. The options are varied, but localized heavily in the midwestern US states. So one can apply for Urology, Neurosurgery, radiology dermatology or more competitive programs through the AOA, with a higher likelihood of being accepted than through ACGME.

Applying to DO schools is similar to applying to MD schools. You fill out a primary application, select your desired schools and then wait for secondaries.With most schools, letter of recommendation requirements tend to be the same. A large number of DO schools (including LECOM I believe) require a letter of recommendation from a practicing DO.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't want to be that guy but, it is COMLEX not COMPLEX. :p

What you wanna know about LECOM-b?
And NEVER refer to it as Complex

Don't want to be that guy but, it is COMLEX not COMPLEX. :p

Is it really that big of a deal? I accidentally put that in there. You seriously got onto this thread just to put your negative two cents in?? Thanks for the reply.

What you wanna know about LECOM-b?
And NEVER refer to it as Complex

I live in Louisiana and I have a daughter so I need to be close to her soooo Bradenton is not too too far. Especially with the orlando airport or JAX. I was intrigued when I heard about their different "learning pathways". Can you tell me your likes and dislikes about the school?

Is it really that big of a deal? I accidentally put that in there. You seriously got onto this thread just to put your negative two cents in?? Thanks for the reply.

Hey, you needed the advising. He was helping.

I actually say COMLEX but write COMPLEX most of the time. I don't know why. It's a mental thing.

Hey guys! I am applying in june to M.D. and D.O. schools. I originally was going to wait but I thought, what the heck, go for it!!! I just really started considering D.O. recently. I would love to know more about it. soooo if you could really tell me some info about D.O. school, I would really appreciate it!! I heard about the grade replacement policy. I know what D.O. school is about from a medical standpoint. But I don't know much about resendencies, COMPLEX, admissions and application(LOR and personal st.) process, or any other crucial pieces of info you all have learned throughout your admissions processes. If any of you have any info about LECOM in Bradenton, FL that would be amazing. Thanks a lot!!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104

That forum has reviews on different schools, including LECOM-B, which is mostly on the positive side.
I interviewed at LECOM-B this fall and LOVED it! They are strictly PBL (problem based learning), which means that the subjects are all integrated. You learn in groups, which change every quarter** clarify someone?** and there's a professor to facilitate discussion if the group is stuck or completely off track. Students seem very enthusiastic and happy there. Tuition is one of the lowest you can find anywhere. I applied to 5 DO schools, and after long research and thorough thinking, Bradenton became my top choice.

LECOM-B did not have an essay in their secondary application last year, so you just fill out your AACOMAS in June/July, assuming you will be done with your MCAT by May at the latest. You will then receive a secondary application with info to fill out and a fee to pay. They also require a letter of recommendation (LOR) from a DO, so shadow and talk to one and get on that. They will interview you w/o the letter (if you request), but no decision will be made until they receive that LOR. They interview as early as August, so submit early!

Best of luck. I'm not a student there, but feel free to PM me with any questions regarding the application process and I'll do my best to help.

OK, sorry I was just trying to help. I didn't want you to go to your interviews and spout off about their "COMPLEX" scores and sound like an idiot. :cool:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104

That forum has reviews on different schools, including LECOM-B, which is mostly on the positive side.
I interviewed at LECOM-B this fall and LOVED it! They are strictly PBL (problem based learning), which means that the subjects are all integrated. You learn in groups, which change every quarter** clarify someone?** and there's a professor to facilitate discussion if the group is stuck or completely off track. Students seem very enthusiastic and happy there. Tuition is one of the lowest you can find anywhere. I applied to 5 DO schools, and after long research and thorough thinking, Bradenton became my top choice.

LECOM-B did not have an essay in their secondary application last year, so you just fill out your AACOMAS in June/July, assuming you will be done with your MCAT by May at the latest. You will then receive a secondary application with info to fill out and a fee to pay. They also require a letter of recommendation (LOR) from a DO, so shadow and talk to one and get on that. They will interview you w/o the letter (if you request), but no decision will be made until they receive that LOR. They interview as early as August, so submit early!

Best of luck. I'm not a student there, but feel free to PM me with any questions regarding the application process and I'll do my best to help.
We actually switch facilitators about every ten weeks. We change PBL groups every semester.
Those reviews are good :thumbup:
Sorry we have a massive test fri, ill write more after but gotta study

So residencies such as cardiology, or anesthesiology are possible through AOA programs?