the DAT is OVER! finally!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wow, i can't believe the DATs are over for me. first of all, i thank God, and i thank all of you on SDN for the great advice- i wouldn't have been able to do well on the DAT without you guys- for real. i've been reading the posts for a while, and now it's time for me to help others by sharing about my experience.

at first, i thought that i was going to do horribly on this test, because i only got 30 mins. of sleep last night. thirty blasted minutes! but then the adrenaline kicked in, i drank a red bull, and i was pretty alert throughout the test.

Academic Average: 22
PAT: 19
Ochem: 29
Bio: 20
Gchem: 20
RC: 23
QR: 20
Total science: 21

to prepare for the DAT, i studied for 2 months and during those two months i really just focused on the DAT. i took the Kaplan course, used my college textbooks a little bit, & took a few Topscore tests. i thought that the kaplan book, like everyone says, was essential. memorize it- seriously. i read that book 2 times and wrote notes on it the first time through. also, i am glad that i took the kaplan course. although the live classes are not that helpful (except for a PAT tip i learned that helped me), kaplan's materials (subject tests & explanations, practice tests on computer, etc.) are extremely helpful. the materials have some info that the kaplan book does not. the flashcards that kaplan gives you are essential. they are such a great review, especially right before the test. as for the scores i used to get on the kaplan practice tests, i used to get around 18-20 for Bio, 15-18 for Gchem, 18-20 for Ochem, 16-18 for QR, 18-20 for RC, and 23's consistently for PAT.

PAT: i got a 19, when i used to get 23's consistently on the kaplan tests. basically, the angles were insane! kaplan's angles are cake compared to the actual DAT's angles. also, slanted lines on the Prometric computers are just horrible (makes the lines look like jagged- although the 17 inch monitors compared to the 15 inch kaplan monitors were nice). i went with my gut on a lot of the angle problems. the other sections were pretty simliar to Kaplan. my advice is to just do as many PAT problems as you can, and if you run out of problems to do, then them all over again.

Ochem: a lot easier than kaplan or topscore. nothing was on here that wasn't covered in the kaplan book. the flashcards really helped me out on this section.

Bio: there were some questions that were not covered in Kaplan at all, but i remembered the answers to some of them from my college bio courses. still, there were other questions which i had no clue about, and so i just did my best to make good guesses by eliminating choices. the kaplan materials were really helpful for the bio section. like i said, kaplan's tests/materials cover stuff not in the kaplan book.

Gchem: simpler than kaplan's tests. less calculations, and for the calculations, really simple ones. the conceptual problems are pretty simple, too.

QR: a TON simpler than kaplan (kaplan's subject tests are totally overkill). simple trig, simple word problems, and my test had a lot of computation/simplification problems.

RC: this section was always the hardest section for me. i would score around 18-20 on kaplan tests, but on the actual DAT i landed a 23 (i still can't believe it). i even didn't finish answering the last two questions. my method for this section was to quickly read the passages, but to answer the questions as i read. but, it is wise to actually read the passage and not to just go straight to the questions because of the "infer/imply" questions. oh yeah, and the actual DAT's passages are around 18-20 paragraphs, compared to kaplan's 9-12 paragraph passages.

-i think that taking the full-length kaplan tests really helped me pace myself, cuz in the beginning i would waste my time on a particular problem.
-well, thank you once again SDN, and good luck to all of you who are taking the DAT soon! just remember, if i can do it (esp. with 30 mins. of sleep), you can do it!

Members don't see this ad.

Man, you nailed the DAT. SSSHHHHH...I think I hear dental schools knocking on your door

Congrats! I took it yesterday and Ochem and G.Chem seemed so much easier than Kaplan.

Mainly just Williams-ether synthesis, aromatic additions, and acid/base reductions, additions. was it the same for you?

savvy,
yeah, there were simple reactions like friedel-crafts acylation, etc., the ones u named.
by the way, great job on your DAT savvy! where do you want to go for dental school? as for me, i'd like to go to ucsf since it's in-state for me, or uop, since it has a nice 3-year program. i just hope my PAT score is competitive enough for those schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
*I want UOP or USC. That would be the ideal. I want to stay in California. Or atleast somewhere near a coast.

great scores

what was that PAT tip that made all the difference?

thanks

tinkerbell,
I am actually applying in June, 2004. :( I totally want to, and would apply this year, expect I don't have any recommendation letters yet. But, thanks for the kind words and encouragement, I am really looking forward to UCSF (please let me in)! Go UCSF!!!

Superman,

Why don't u just go bug someone for just three letter of rec? It's pretty easy to do. It's the prof.'s job to write you letters.

I sent in my application late last year, and still got in. So, this is not late at all. Do you know that you can matriculate without a Bachelor degree? Then during your second year, UCSF will give you the Bachelor of Dental Science degree?

I wish you all the best of luck, and pm me if you have any question.

Tinkerbell,
Yeah, I really do want to apply this year because I am a senior now, and so if I apply next year, I'll have to take a year off.... It would be ideal to apply this year and be able to go to dental school right away after I graduate in June 2004. So, yeah, maybe i'll try asking some profs about recommendation letters-- :)

I submitted my application on Sep 23. Also, due to problems at aadsas, it didn't reach schools until Halloween. I went to a few interviews in Nov. Got acceptance letter in Dec and Jan.

About the DAT, I started studying in June 10, then took the test on Aug 19. I used topscore CD and Princeton Review (had the prep course).