the dentist "image"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preDDSmarilyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i was just wondering, should one readjust their music interests(rap/party music primarily) and professional speaking habits when one becomes an actual dentist?

I was just wondering because althought I take alot of care and interest in science, I am not the most professional person, and I somewhat have the tendency at 21 years old, of riding around sorta having my music a bit loud, and I don't want my patients to get me misconstrued.

Members don't see this ad.

If you curse like a sailor, you may have a problem. But I don't plan on giving up my heavy metal for anyone! In fact, I plan on blasting death metal in my future office. If you're not extreme enough to headbang with me while I'm pulling your tooth, then you're too lame to get treated in my office. :horns:

Your musical interests are part of your individuality and you should not change that. You should know when its acceptable to bump lil Wayne and when it is not. You do have to sound educated.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL... Are you serious? You like what you like. Don't compromise that. I'm 30, female and still play my music way too loud. No one is that fixated on you... or me... to care.

If you curse like a sailor, you may have a problem. But I don't plan on giving up my heavy metal for anyone! In fact, I plan on blasting death metal in my future office. If you're not extreme enough to headbang with me while I'm pulling your tooth, then you're too lame to get treated in my office. :horns:
:horns::horns::horns::horns:HELL YEAH... LOVE UR ANSWER. :horns::horns::horns::horns:

I think in dentistry you have to consider the age range of your patients. Many will be out of your own generation; therefore, may not like the same music/style/ or speech that you like. That's okay because there is a simple solution where you strip alot of these pop culture elements out of a work place in order to make it inviting to the masses. This will be to your advantage as a dentist because people will want to come back.

Just be professional while you're at work. And if you're 21 - be 21.

so i was just wondering, should one readjust their music interests(rap/party music primarily) and professional speaking habits when one becomes an actual dentist?

I was just wondering because althought I take alot of care and interest in science, I am not the most professional person, and I somewhat have the tendency at 21 years old, of riding around sorta having my music a bit loud, and I don't want my patients to get me misconstrued.

you know how most dental/medical offices you walk into, have the TV in the receptionist area, and most of the time, its freaking Oprah Winfrey.

Well, you can have BET playing instead, or better yet, subscribe to those RAP only channels lol. Who cares.

However, I do believe people change thier music preference. When I was 20-21ish, I listed mostly to RAP and R&B, now (29 year old).... I do EVERYTHING (including country)

you just used the word "misconstrued." i think your image should be OK.

This reminds me of one of my first shadowing experiences. Both doctor and patient decided on a soundtrack for third molar extractions: Deftones. With the door closed they were more than generous with the volume. It was a little odd. I just sat there and did my shadowing thing...

well I wouldn't go to a dentist that screams at me, drops a slang and talks like he's some gangsta in the hood.

As long as you don't sound like a ******* you'll be fine. You don't have to start picking up some english accent and trying to sound all proper.

Your personal music taste is your own. I wouldn't change it intentionally. it may change on its own as your age.

Playing it in your office maybe something else. If you're into like heavy metal, its probably not a good decision turn the dial up to 10 and blasting that stuff.

well I wouldn't go to a dentist that screams at me, drops a slang and talks like he's some gangsta in the hood.

As long as you don't sound like a ******* you'll be fine. You don't have to start picking up some english accent and trying to sound all proper.

Your personal music taste is your own. I wouldn't change it intentionally. it may change on its own as your age.

Playing it in your office maybe something else. If you're into like heavy metal, its probably not a good decision turn the dial up to 10 and blasting that stuff.

Obviously, turning the volume up to 10 and blasting heavy metal in the office would be a mistake. I'll have the volume set at 11 in my office.

YOU MUST CHANGE INTERESTS...only listen/play music that has something related to do with oral health..only watch/play videos on youtube that have something related to dentistry (charlie after the dentist or whatever)..you must carry a toothbrush at all times..and you are to name your children after the different oral cavities..you are to refrain from all pleasures in life (including you know what) and must solely focus on being a dentist...forget having fun..its all over now..

by the way from now on you are not to use toilet paper..use a toothbrush instead

:laugh: