The dilemma between Masters or SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschrea

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I having a hard time deciding what to do to get accepted into medical school.
My sgpa is 3.2 and cgpa is 3.45.
I took the Mcat two times and got 494 (which is the highest) and is a reapplicant.

I have been doing plenty of research, volunteering- clinical as well as non-clinical, shadowing, and working at a private clinic. I am also planning to retake the MCAT the third time, only when I am sure of a leap in my score, probably next year. I will be also continuing my volunteering work, etc even if I am enrolled in Masters/ SMP.

Since there is a low chance of getting into medical school, with my current stats, I have been giving some thoughts about doing masters(in public health or biomedical sciences). It would be so kind of someone to explain what other masters program would be more favored by the adcom?

If these masters do not get me into med school, would this affect me badly or on a positive note, help me get access to different career opportunities?
or
Is doing a year of SMP better than doing a master's program?
I know that doing an SMP does not guarantee admission to medical school, but having a competitive score is the only thing that assures yourself to get accepted into med school. So, which program would most likely help me to further achieve my desired dream?

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you ok going to a DO school? If you can raise your MCAT to like a 505 you probably don't need a masters if you have solid ECs.

Doing a masters in public health or biomedical sciences is less effective at getting you into med school, unless the biomedical sciences program is linked with a med school. I would go for a one year SMP that has some sort or linkage with a med school. Also, I think your MCAT is holding you back the most, some SMPs might not accept you with that score (ex. need a 496 for EVMS and Rosalind Franklin's SMPs). There are good SMPs with classes achieving 80%+ matriculation to a med school.

Nice google doc(made by @paradoxic_toxic) with SMP info:

Reactions: 3 users
I would focus on the mcat. Take a class, hire a tutor, spend 5+ months studying, whatever it takes. A score that low indicates you’ll struggle in medical school in class and on board exams. You simply have to do better. An SMP would demonstrate that you can handle medical school but may not alleviate concerns about test taking. check out Goro’s guide for reinvention.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im on a similiar boat but lower GPA. Highest MCAT was my third at 499. My cgpa was 3.14 and scgpa 2.88. There was an upward trend from 2.3-> 3.14 over the 4 years. I did have a pretty solid EC background (volunteer/research/ clinical experience). I really don't have preference between DO vs MD.
I've seen some DO schools have min sgpa of 2.8 but would it be too risky to apply with the min considering I focus on a higher MCAT.

Also not sure whether SMP or Masters would be the way to go. what about just taking some CC classes and aim for 3.4/5 - how many units would it take?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Im on a similiar boat but lower GPA. Highest MCAT was my third at 499. My cgpa was 3.14 and scgpa 2.88. There was an upward trend from 2.3-> 3.14 over the 4 years. I did have a pretty solid EC background (volunteer/research/ clinical experience). I really don't have preference between DO vs MD.
I've seen some DO schools have min sgpa of 2.8 but would it be too risky to apply with the min considering I focus on a higher MCAT.

Also not sure whether SMP or Masters would be the way to go. what about just taking some CC classes and aim for 3.4/5 - how many units would it take?

In your case, taking classes to get your sGPA above a 3.0 would be a good idea. Ideally, you don't want to apply with your cGPA or sGPA below a 3.0 because of minimum cutoffs. Same thing about a sub 500 MCAT. Additionally, a GPA trend from 2.3 -> 3.14, while better, does not necessarily give an a committee a lot of confidence in your abilities. Take a couple semesters of courses at a 3.5+ and you'll be in a better position.

Hi,

I having a hard time deciding what to do to get accepted into medical school.
My sgpa is 3.2 and cgpa is 3.45.
I took the Mcat two times and got 494 (which is the highest) and is a reapplicant.

I have been doing plenty of research, volunteering- clinical as well as non-clinical, shadowing, and working at a private clinic. I am also planning to retake the MCAT the third time, only when I am sure of a leap in my score, probably next year. I will be also continuing my volunteering work, etc even if I am enrolled in Masters/ SMP.

Since there is a low chance of getting into medical school, with my current stats, I have been giving some thoughts about doing masters(in public health or biomedical sciences). It would be so kind of someone to explain what other masters program would be more favored by the adcom?

If these masters do not get me into med school, would this affect me badly or on a positive note, help me get access to different career opportunities?
or
Is doing a year of SMP better than doing a master's program?
I know that doing an SMP does not guarantee admission to medical school, but having a competitive score is the only thing that assures yourself to get accepted into med school. So, which program would most likely help me to further achieve my desired dream?

Thank you for your time.
SMP. With your MCAT score, it's the only way you can get into a med school (if the med school is the host for the SMP and has good linkage). High risk, but higher reward.

Reactions: 1 users

Hi,
I would need about 18 credits ( 6 classes ) to raise my GPA to 3.50 and another 18 credits for gpa of 3.55.

SMP. With your MCAT score, it's the only way you can get into a med school (if the med school is the host for the SMP and has good linkage). High risk, but higher reward.
Thanks for replying. I am not sure about SMP since it is a high risk. I was wondering if I retook the MCAT and scored higher, upon seeing that leap in my score, would medical schools consider me as an applicant? Simultaneously if I were to increase my GPA to a 3.5+ via post-bac/ taking extra classes, wouldn't that be a plus in addition to a good MCAT score? I dragged out my classes and ended up doing half-semester longer and will only graduate in (4.5 years instead of 4 years) December.

Are you ok going to a DO school? If you can raise your MCAT to like a 505 you probably don't need a masters if you have solid ECs.

Doing a masters in public health or biomedical sciences is less effective at getting you into med school, unless the biomedical sciences program is linked with a med school. I would go for a one year SMP that has some sort or linkage with a med school. Also, I think your MCAT is holding you back the most, some SMPs might not accept you with that score (ex. need a 496 for EVMS and Rosalind Franklin's SMPs). There are good SMPs with classes achieving 80%+ matriculation to a med school.

Nice google doc(made by @paradoxic_toxic) with SMP info:

I am okay with Do schools but would love to be accepted by MD schools. Thanks for the SMP doc thou!!

Your GPAs aren’t awful (especially for DO)but your MCAT scores x2 are horrible! AMCAS rec that schools average multiple MCAT scores. Some do and some don’t and we really have no way of knowing what a particular school does despite what they tell you on the phone. And there is no way you can predict what biases a reviewer might have about two awful MCAT scores! Before you go signing up for a MS or SMP work on the MCAT. You need to really do well and I don’t mean 505 if you are shooting for MD! I’m not sure how you plan to recover your score but good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for replying. I am not sure about SMP since it is a high risk. I was wondering if I retook the MCAT and scored higher, upon seeing that leap in my score, would medical schools consider me as an applicant? Simultaneously if I were to increase my GPA to a 3.5+ via post-bac/ taking extra classes, wouldn't that be a plus in addition to a good MCAT score? I dragged out my classes and ended up doing half-semester longer and will only graduate in (4.5 years instead of 4 years) December.
I'm not sanguine that you will do any better on another MCAT try, much less perform well enough to get into MD range

Reactions: 2 users
You need to increase that MCAT to 500+ ideally for a good chance to DO schools. Practice exams will be the most beneficial. Your GPA is fine, but MCAT is an exercise in test-taking ability. You can totally do it in 1-2 months of dedicated prep. Good luck friend!