The Dreaded Wait List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dumbguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, i've interviewed for 5 schools and ended up being put on the wait list for 2 schools and rejected by 3 other schools . With one of the schools I am waitlisted for, I don't think I have a good chance of getting in but the other school I feel I have a good chance. So I am overly anxious and desperate, losing sleep over being on the wait list. This is my second year applying too. I am losing hair and experiencing increasing stomach acid. I am noticing lines on my forehead. My back is aching from sleeping on my side more often.

all of this is painfully stressing. I find myself not playing at the basketball courts as often as i used to, because all this uncertainty has sucked up all my free time. I know being on the wait list is better than being rejected, but the uncertainty is unbearable. It's almost like I'm wasting my life away, worrying about whether I will be going to pharmacy school this fall or not, and not finding time to enjoy what I like to do. What can i do to ease this? Should I call the admissions office and bug them? Does this increase my chances? I've already completed all my prerequisites.
Any suggestions would help.

Members don't see this ad.

A decent admissions office at any pharmacy people tend to have good PR people who want to help you out. So, many admissions counselors would be fine with calls from you asking for an update. Given that it's likely that many other people are calling in regarding the same issue, calling helps but it's probably not going to make a huge difference on your application.

I would also plan for both possible outcomes, one for getting into pharmacy school and one for getting rejected. From my experience, part of the stress from the admissions process came from the uncertainty about my future and the fear that my life would be going nowhere. Having a plan for either outcome help alleviate my worries and help prevent the helplessness factor.

I hope that you get in, and no, you are not a dumb guy!:D

What is your plans now.. Dumbguy? I am in the same situations as you are. But I dont know what I should be doing since I am going to graduating this year. Part of me still want to linger around school but another is wanting to go work earn some lost money and get some experience. What did you do on your "down" time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the same boat as you. It really sucks to get waitlisted. It's really stressing me out as well. I've contacted the pharm school to ask about my status and what I can do to get accepted. However, they told me there isn't much that I can do now to be accepted. So I guess all we can do now is just to wait and see if we get contacted. Well, if we don't get in this year, then there will always be next year.

There is always hope... I know people applying for the 3rd time, with sub 3.0 GPAs - who have been accepted. If you want it long enough - and hard enough - it will happen.

As far as the waitlist goes - try not to agonize over it. I am waitlisted as well - Despite being ranked very high - I have actually slid back 2 spaces (long story) - knowing that you are close, but maybe not close enough is very trying. The key is to focus on the things you can affect now. What are your plans for the summer? What happens if you dont get in?

~above~

I know the feeling. I was waitlisted until May 30th. Got the letter on the 2nd day of June. How did I cope with all of that waiting and uncertainty? The most brilliant philospher of the 1980s was this Jamaican dude that wrote this song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy." Apathy is gold standard cure for anxiety. If everyone could just say to themselves "Ah, f**k it!" Xanax sales would plummet. I just chilled and enjoyed the nice Spring whether. What was going to be, would be. Then the day came...I was sitting there, eating some General Tso's chicken, watching The Price is Right...and the mailman stuck the fat, thick envelope in my mailbox. "It's my pleasure to inform you..."

The other option, of course, is Xanax.

I know the feeling. I was waitlisted until May 30th. Got the letter on the 2nd day of June. How did I cope with all of that waiting and uncertainty? The most brilliant philospher of the 1980s was this Jamaican dude that wrote this song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy." Apathy is gold standard cure for anxiety. If everyone could just say to themselves "Ah, f**k it!" Xanax sales would plummet. I just chilled and enjoyed the nice Spring whether. What was going to be, would be. Then the day came...I was sitting there, eating some General Tso's chicken, watching The Price is Right...and the mailman stuck the fat, thick envelope in my mailbox. "It's my pleasure to inform you..."

The other option, of course, is Xanax.

HA HA :D :D :D , Thats funny. I know how it is though trying to figure out what to do. It sucks big time. Just try to plan out what you'll do if you don't get in. Thats what I am doing right now. WVUPharm2007 is right, the only other option is xanax, or maybe prozac.