Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are students who get accepted into certain medical schools due to one of their relatives working there (a parent, uncle, or aunt). This also extends to residencies.
I know for a fact that one of the top ten schools is notorious for this. I will not name the school, but it is a publicly funded university. I got into medical school after working very hard to improve my grades and perform well on the MCAT which I had to take a few times. There was a lot of sweat and tears involved, and multiple rejections many of which without interviews.
I find it extremely unfair that certain students not only get into medical schools where a relative is a doctor/professor, but also secure residencies at the same school where their relative was the head of the department. Again, I will not name the place.
In my opinion this is unethical beyond measure and sets a school up to graduate undeserving and lackluster physicians.
Is there a process to address this with LCME and the AAMC?
I know for a fact that one of the top ten schools is notorious for this. I will not name the school, but it is a publicly funded university. I got into medical school after working very hard to improve my grades and perform well on the MCAT which I had to take a few times. There was a lot of sweat and tears involved, and multiple rejections many of which without interviews.
I find it extremely unfair that certain students not only get into medical schools where a relative is a doctor/professor, but also secure residencies at the same school where their relative was the head of the department. Again, I will not name the place.
In my opinion this is unethical beyond measure and sets a school up to graduate undeserving and lackluster physicians.
Is there a process to address this with LCME and the AAMC?
Last edited: