The final word about Ross?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALMD2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone!

I'm new around here but have been reading all your posts.
I decided to post a new thread, because the previous Ross thread ended up being immature babble.

Currently I'm a 3rd year ross med student. (YEAH!). I was lucky to make it through 5th semester and now am half-way through my clinical rotations.

Alot of you had some questions about Ross and it's ability to make some of you into doctors. I'm currently at a hospital in the East Coast of the USA doing my Internal Medicine Rotation and am working with Ross residents who are currently among the top.

I'd like to share my experience, knowledge, regrets, advantages, and disadvantages with you in this thread about Ross.

Ross definately has some issues. But i can reassure you that if you really do want to become a doctor, you will, but of course with some sacrifice. No pain, no gain, right?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to say, but you sound very arrogant!:rolleyes: You gave no useful information except to bash D.O's and other caribbean med schools. That information is useless here and doesn't give any help at all. :(

I agree. You really shouldn't put down DO's. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to say that they are just US citizens who couldn't get into a US medical school? After all, I know for a fact that IS the reason why I am at St. George's. I don't know your situation, but you're not in a US school, either.

Your rationale is just the mentality that keeps the stigma of Caribbean medical students alive.

Let's face it: MD or DO, US or Caribbean, A LOT of how you perform as a student and physician depends on what you put into your education, and how you handle yourself with your patients and fellow colleagues. I guess Ross doesn't have classes on professionalism? :eek:

--Brian

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ALMD2B
Generally, the consensus amoung clinicians and US medical students is that St.George's is the top and Ross is a close 2nd. Everything else falls below Ross, so who cares? (I know I don't).

Nah, you are forgetting AUC as a 3rd and the final school to make up the Big 3. They also have thousands of grads in the US.

Go to www.valueMD.com and to the Ross board and post. You will reach more people there.

Secondly, if you were smart, you wouldn't go to a DO school. I know this was brought up several times in the last thread. They think they are just as good as MDs, but among clinicians, they aren't. THe DO students are a joke. Generally, they are americans who couldn't get into a regular US med school, and those that just couldn't handle going to a foreign country (can't live without their mama).

FIFTEEN YARD PENALTY! Unnecessary roughness.

Remember that this is just one person's opinion, and I'm sorry to say (as a fellow Ross student) that it is disappointing to see someone who's made it this far in our program but hasn't yet matured. Trust me when I say that this type of opinion among Ross students this far along is clearly the minority, and more importantly completely uncalled for.

So, I am also a third-year student in my cores on the "east coast". I have interacted with other Ross students, AUC students, Hope students, NYCOM students, and a few others from other medical schools. I can tell you that, on the whole, there is no general qualitative difference in the way we are treated or perceived on the wards. Naturally, we are not all equal in knowledge or other "intangible" qualities, but everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. This is the point.

We are all individuals. This is what I've been trying to stress and reinforce since I started posting on this forum over the past year-and-a-half. This is my agenda, and what I want everyone who reads these forums and, in particular, my posts to understand. You cannot fairly lump people into categories based on where they went to school. There are some students from Ross, Hope, AUC, and NYCOM who actually have more on the ball than some of the residents! But, some of the residents have better skills and more knowledge than some of the attendings!

We are all individuals and it is up to us to succeed and be the best physicians we can be whether it's in spite of or because of the opportunities we were (or weren't) given in pursuit of our medical education. Nothing else needs to be said on the matter of particular schools or degrees.

-Skip

:laugh: Way to slam DO's flowerpic FMG. It makes my blood boil with shame for the human race for pumping out something like you. Damn that sperm that slipped through.

Serisouly though, DO's are probably the only docs that won't give you a hard time for saying "yeah I went to Ross." Now you go and do something stupid by putting us down. Sigh. To make such a general statement that DO's are not good clinicians is insane. Your fabricated anecdotal knowlege of us as a profession clearly shows through.

I can't WAIT to work with people like you when I get out there man. I am gonna work you so HARD its not even funny. I busted my ass, now its time for me to bust yours.

See ya on the wards puffcake.

as the original poster has seen, this is hardly a final word on anything. COuple of quick points: DO and IMG are both viable way sto go and there is no quick answer to "which is better". Some DO pathways are better than some IMG, and vice-versa. As for being taken seriously, there is nothing more inane than a person who has taken an alternate route to become a physician because they couldnt get into a US allopathic school trying to insist on the superiority of their training. That laughter you hear is that of thousands of american MD's.

Second: there is similarly no one "better" way to go if you go offshore: sgu is better for some than ross, and vice versa; and you can play the same game with other offshore schools. The issues are complex and most premeds need to do a lot of leg work to figure out which is right. (Licensing issues, board pass rates, QOL, residency placements, cost etc are all factored in).

And finally: while you may not like the post of a user here, that does not give you the right to threaten or insult the individual in any way. That is a violation of terms of service. THat is the one thing on this thread not under debate.

Originally posted by stephew
as the original poster has seen, this is hardly a final word on anything. COuple of quick points: DO and IMG are both viable way sto go and there is no quick answer to "which is better". Some DO pathways are better than some IMG, and vice-versa. As for being taken seriously, there is nothing more inane than a person who has taken an alternate route to become a physician because they couldnt get into a US allopathic school trying to insist on the superiority of their training. That laughter you hear is that of thousands of american MD's.

Second: there is similarly no one "better" way to go if you go offshore: sgu is better for some than ross, and vice versa; and you can play the same game with other offshore schools. The issues are complex and most premeds need to do a lot of leg work to figure out which is right. (Licensing issues, board pass rates, QOL, residency placements, cost etc are all factored in).

And finally: while you may not like the post of a user here, that does not give you the right to threaten or insult the individual in any way. That is a violation of terms of service. THat is the one thing on this thread not under debate.

I got lots of insults when I posted similar things at pre-DO forum, even from a moderator. I just forgot this forum was a DO site before. :(

However, I have learned from that.:D :D

DOs take those statements as insults, so be careful.:p :p

HI everyone!

Secondly, if you were smart, you wouldn't go to a DO school. I know this was brought up several times in the last thread. They think they are just as good as MDs, but among clinicians, they aren't. THe DO students are a joke. Generally, they are americans who couldn't get into a regular US med school, and those that just couldn't handle going to a foreign country (can't live without their mama).

Thanks.

It is a mystery to me how a person can feel honored by the humiliation of his fellow human beings.

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Nonetheless a doctor(to be)

Secondly, if you were smart, you wouldn't go to a DO school.

And if you were smart, you would not go to a Carib school.

Originally posted by redleft123
And if you were smart, you would not go to a Carib school.

In case you are a DO I wouldn't be put off by that remark about DO schools. Tons of very smart people have gone, and will continue to go to DO and Carib medical colleges.

It is sad to see this bashing. It has to do with inner security or lack thereof. I have seen intra-AMG bashing. my school is better than yours, tantamount to adolescents saying "my daddy can beat up your daddy" Just realize that some of us never leave adolescence.

I am in practice for more than a decade and work with a DO who is a super sharp, super competent, and super nice guy.

Being a ***** is school and geography independent

Ciao

Responding to Ross Students:

I genuinely believe that it doesn't much matter where u go to med school, as long as you apply yourself and learn the necessary info required. True an education at a BIG name institution does three things: (1) costs lots of money; (2) looks good on a resume: (3) may impart some additional info which can be of benefit to the student. The bottom line is that it is up to you the individual to embrace the knowledge & info and then to apply that same acquired knowledge in a professional manner for the betterment of the patient.

Now about ROSS: well, while I was attending Grand Rounds during one of my rotations a Ross Student sat next to me. He sat there for a few minutes until he got the courage to ask me if I was an attending at the institution, I am an older med student so he assumed that I was an attending!!! He was getting ready to start kissing my ass!! When I told him politely that I was a visiting med student from the Carrib, he wasn't the least bit interested in talking with me ---- except to tell me how great the ROSS program was and I guess by extrapolation how poor my program was.... I saw him numerous times after that lecture and he was totally aloof.

I have had the pleasure of interfacing with numerous other IMG's & AMG's and have not had this sort of problem. My hope is that what ever residency program I end up with, there won't be this childish menatality about the GOOD, the BAD & the UGLY!!! Medicine is medicine and depends on what you bring to the table. Good luck to all of you, I hope your dreams come true for I believe in dreams!

PILOTOMD

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you or anyone else but the behavior you referenced does not stop with residency. It has been noted to at times continue throughout a career.

There are enough nice people though to usually buffer the ones that upset you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by smf
In case you are a DO I wouldn't be put off by that remark about DO schools. Tons of very smart people have gone, and will continue to go to DO and Carib medical colleges.

Not to worry .... I was not offended by his comment. I am not a DO yet I have full respect for DOs. I do not think any less of them than I do a MD.....IMHO.

I just wanted to show him was a stupid and inconsiderate comment he had made!

Apologies to anyone other than ALMD2B if they took offense.

"A woman only needs four things in life....four animals.
A mink on her back.
A jaguar in her garage.
A tiger in her bed.
And a jackass to pay for all of it."

~ ~ ~ ~ Mae West ~ ~ ~ ~

I have both a brain and a vagina and I am not afraid to use either of them.
~ ~ ~ ~ Bush Baby ~ ~ ~ ~

You wouldn't be a high maintenance intelligent nymphomaniac by any chance?

Originally posted by smf
You wouldn't be a high maintenance intelligent nymphomaniac by any chance?

FINALLY! A word I can use to describe myself other than "sex-addict." "Nymphomaniac" sounds so much nicer.:laugh:

I know you are very busy but i just found this web site -- Your comments on Ross were very helpful. I have an interview on Tuesday and would like to know if there is any
trick questions asked to you when you first went on your
interview at Ross. I checked this network regarding interview
experiences and Ross was not listed. Thank you

Julie

the interview has 2 parts.

one to see you and your ability to be in medical school and live in this kind of enviroment

the 2nd part, is to sell you on ross.

last time I checked, it was in there. But I believe they had an international section and its all mixed up in there with every other international school.

Can't remember what I was asked specifically since its been about a year. But the questions were fairly generic from what I remember.

It all comes from your application. So know that.

My ross interview is coming up as well. Preparing....:scared:

Originally posted by redleft123
FINALLY! A word I can use to describe myself other than "sex-addict." "Nymphomaniac" sounds so much nicer.:laugh:

Perhaps this forum could degenerate into a dating site?

We share similar aptitudes.

My wife is married but not me.

So how shall we organize the date?

The DO/IMG comparisons are absurd. I would argue that the carribean is never a better route than osteopathic schools.

Let's take fields like dermatology, radonc, and orthopedics out of the equation and look at fields with a medium level of competitiveness. (although DO's do stand a much better chance at matching in the above fields). There are DO schools with 15-20 EM matches, 20 gas matches, 12 radiology matches, etc. The last ross match list I saw had something like 2-3 EM matches out of several hundred students. Categorical surgery coming out of any DO school is a pretty sure thing, even at decent university programs. Plenty of Ross students are settling for prelimary surgery spots. Anyone who says that there isn't a big difference between the match lists of Nycom/pcom/nova/osucom and ross just aren't being honest.

And that's not even considering the other negatives to going carribean over DO(the cost issue, the loan options issue, payback options, living conditions, stability of clinical rotations, location of clinical rotations, etc)

ALMDB.... you, my dear, are a mental case

Going to a program that has IMGs (me), DOs, and U.S. MD grads, I can't help but continue to be disappointed by the attitude reflected in this thread.

So, ALMD2B - did you actually match this year? Very curious.

-Skip

well, an apology should be made to all who were offended by my first post. IT will be edited without delay.

sorry a million times. I was naive and had a bad experience with a DO doc in my early clinical days and unfortunately generalized.

Everyone has their right to an opinion....freedom of speech. We all have rights to criticize and I respect all for what they have to say.

Yes, Skip, i did match at my #1.

Sincerely,

ALMD2B

ALMD2B said:
well, an apology should be made to all who were offended by my first post. IT will be edited without delay.

sorry a million times. I was naive and had a bad experience with a DO doc in my early clinical days and unfortunately generalized.

Everyone has their right to an opinion....freedom of speech. We all have rights to criticize and I respect all for what they have to say.

Yes, Skip, i did match at my #1.

Sincerely,

ALMD2B

Congratulations, man. Nice to see the change of heart. Good luck in your program.

:)

-Skip