The Financial Future of Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrGreed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are 50hr workweeks @ 500K/year a thing of the past or are they still in reach for the business savy surgeon with the right setup and connections?

Members don't see this ad.

hi there,
if u wanna rake in that much $$ workin 50hr/wk, i'd suggest u go w/ derm and open a private practice geared towards cosmetic procedures (botox, laser etc) that are purely outofpocket, and also run a beauty/skin care salon .. u will be pullin in 1Mil/yr easy if u know what u r doin

also don't worry about obligatory "WTF u wanna make $ bein a doc? get lost u greedy bastard" comments that'll show up pretty soon

I know it's ridiculous...some of these people on this board act like their mother theresa reincarnated and practically attack anybody when the issue of making money and medicine comes up...

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i'd not call them ridiculous b/c each person has different views on money, life, and priorities. some people find the most happiness in money and being able to provide for one's family well, and some find happiness in impact factor, power, professorship, and some in voluntarism and serving the indigent and money means nothing to them - important thing is recognizing this is do not automatically bring down someone else just b/c they dont share the same visions/goals in life as u do.

anyway, back to your q.. derm will surely let u surpass 500k/yr, but ophthy should also, if ophthy is what makes your blood boil. I can think of 3 ways - get the best training in ophthy residency and do retina fellowship, and do nothing but retina surgeries; do cornea/LASIK(or new upcoming laser vision correction procedures) fellowship and become a LASIK machine; lastly u could also become a general private practice 'eye' and work LONG hours, but this can be more fun b/c u get to see more wide variety of pts instead of lasik after lasik after lasik.....

I'm actually committed to general surgery...I considered ophthalmology during my second year...however, I realized quickly during my third year that gen surg was more to my liking...one thing I'm seriously contemplating is focusing on cosmetic surgical procedures...therefore, a plastic surgery fellowship is something to consider when the time comes

should just spend your tuition money on a apartment on upper west side 7 years ago. you could've had over a 1 million profit by now, heheheh, why medicine? go wall street or just become a pimp. heheheheheeheh it's faster.

why do you wanna be my bitch??..I figured you'd be open to it since you're going to become an optometrist...just kidding:laugh: