The First Batch Hullabaloo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glimmer1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"OMG IF I SUBMIT AT 9:35:04 PM ON JUNE 6TH AM I GOING TO BE IN THE FIRST BATCH?!"

"CAN I JUST TRY TO SUBMIT MY LETTERS/TRANSCRIPTS/ETC. EARLY?! I WANT TO BE IN THE FIRST BATCH!"

"IF I TAKE THE DAT ON JUNE 1ST AT 8 AM IN THE MORNING AND DON'T TAKE MY BREAK AFTER THE PAT SO I'M DONE WITH THE TEST BEFORE 12PM, WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO MAKE THE FIRST BATCH?!"

Sound familiar? :laugh: :p

Since these questions seem to pop up all the time, I thought it would be good to have one CENTRAL thread that includes all of the facts and myths surrounding the "first batch." That way, when someone posts about it, just link them here and the discussion can be over.

Disclaimer: The first part of this is clearly an exaggeration, and I'm only teasing. However, when you've been on SDN for a good deal of time and have lived through the application process yourself, you realize just how much people blow the glorified "first batch" out of proportion.

First of all, when is the first batch sent out?
The application cycle opens in the beginning of June, but the first batch isn't sent out until the end of June. Thus, if you are absolutely dead-set on having your app completed by the first batch, have everything submitted by the end of the second week in June.

If I have parts of my application missing by the end of June, am I still in the first batch?
Well, theoretically, I suppose so. But it generally doesn't mean jack squat. Most schools aren't going to look at your application until everything is complete, though I have heard of schools giving out interviews to people who were still missing recommendation letters (but don't ask me which ones). So, yeah, a part of your application will be in the first batch--but a school isn't going to look until the rest of your app is sent in. It would be more accurate to say that you were in whatever batch the updates are sent with.

Does it even matter if I am in the first batch?
In all honesty, no. It doesn't matter. I can personally attest to this. So long as you are early, the batch you are in doesn't really give you much of a competitive advantage. My unofficial estimate is that anyone in batches 1-6 is on equal footing. However, I'd still aim to get it all in by August 1st... if not for anything other than peace of mind. Mid-August is still okay, but not "ideal."

Should I rush my application in order to be in the first batch?
No. Just get it in early. If you are proactive and have everything ready ahead of time, then great! Submit and be in the first batch. But if you need a bit of extra time to make your application perfect, take it.

Won't schools look at my application sooner if I'm in the first batch?
No, not necessarily. Plenty of schools seem to take their sweet time with reviewing applications, and I'm almost certain that 2 of the schools I applied to looked at applications in a pretty dang random order. Don't sweat it if you're in an early batch and other people who are in early batches but applied in "later" early batches than you are getting interviews. This happened to me and I freaked out, but with my results on December 2nd, I don't think it was because there were any issues with my application--I just think the school didn't really prioritize applications when it came to reviewing them. Just be early and it's all the same. Plus, lots of schools don't even seem to start looking until August. That's just another reason to show the first batch, in itself, doesn't really matter that much.

How long does it take AADSAS to receive/verify all of my stuff?
It can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks for DAT scores to be uploaded.
It can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks for transcripts to be received. It usually takes another 2-3 weeks for your GPAs to be verified--and this doesn't happen until after you submit.
It takes AADSAS about 1-2 weeks to add letters from Interfolio to your application.

Can I send anything early?
No, just don't. First of all, it won't make a difference. Second of all, if it gets there before the cycle opens, who knows what AADSAS would do with it. (Actually, I do know--they'll probably throw it away.) Just wait until the first day. That way, you'll have the appropriate matching forms and whatnot.

So a summary: If you have all of your stuff ready and can be in the first batch, GREAT! If you need a little bit longer, GREAT! No difference. Apply within batches 1-6 and you are early. You can certainly submit later and be fine, though... just make sure you are submitting later for a GOOD reason, like studying for a higher DAT score or something like that. And let me reiterate--if you are dead set on being in the first batch, submit by the end of the second week in June.

Everyone else--please feel free to add anything else you can think of. Also, if any current applicants have questions, just post them here instead of making new threads--having a centralized source for this can really be useful in the long run. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 25 users
Would early mean submitting before the end of June? Or could you stretch it out even further?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would early mean submitting before the end of June? Or could you stretch it out even further?

I'd say so. Each school has different timelines and process applications + send out invites differently (some are less selective it seems and do a more first come first serve while others will wait until September or October to even send out invites) I received my first interview invitation early August..so doing the math and giving them 2-3 weeks to process everything, early/mid July would be very desirable. Some schools start offering even sooner though..but if you are a quality applicant it won't kill you overall being there on the first interview day or not.

My stuff was transmitted to schools 9 weeks after the national app opened, and a full 13 weeks after the Texas app opened. I dunno, turned out ok.

Reactions: 1 user
'Can I send anything early?
No, just don't. First of all, it won't make a difference. Second of all, if it gets there before the cycle opens, who knows what AADSAS would do with it. Just wait until the first day. That way, you'll have the appropriate matching forms and whatnot.'

I called ADEA AADSAS and the lady told me anything they receive before the application opens up will be thrown away.... I don't know that was metaphor for not submitting it early or literal meaning, but as what she said, it is better to submit the materials after the application opens up!

I said that batches 1-6 are early. This would put you well past June.

Totally off topic I'm sorry.

I went to check out the SDN app in the App Store and @Glimmer1991 's thread about laptops is part of the photo preview. You're kinda famous.

Resume normal business.

Reactions: 2 users
Hullabaloo.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Haha. Every time I see someone posting about being in the first batch, I always think "Jeez just relax. It's not that serious". But then I think of how I felt before applying and quickly snap out of it. Who do I think I am!? Its so easy to forget how it feels to be on the other side, even if it was just a few months ago. Great post Glimmer. Now please make a thread about how knowing someone else's batch #, GPA, DAT scores who got an interview before you won't make you feel better in the slightest.

Reactions: 3 users
MassMail2009-08-19.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Bumping as the time draws nearer...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Glimmer! This is really good information (as is with all your posts :p). For some reason I thought that the first batch was the first week of June and had to submitted within the first few days. This clears a lot of things up and like you said as long as people submit from batches 1-6, they should be pretty good. Just for reference, would you happen to know when, say batches 3 and 6 ends?

Thanks Glimmer! This is really good information (as is with all your posts :p). For some reason I thought that the first batch was the first week of June and had to submitted within the first few days. This clears a lot of things up and like you said as long as people submit from batches 1-6, they should be pretty good. Just for reference, would you happen to know when, say batches 3 and 6 ends?

It all depends on when the first batch is sent out--each subsequent batch is sent out the next Friday.

So, if the first batch is sent out on June 27th...
2nd batch: July 4th (or maybe they will send it that Thursday since I'm sure they won't be working, but this is a fluke)
3rd batch: July 11th

So on and so forth. :)

Thank you very much for this thread! I always got worried about LOR's coming in on time with my application and knowing that I have until basically the beginning of August (if I am understanding your above post) to be considered early and competitive makes me feel more comfortable about the process in general.

Do you have to manually submit your DAT score? Or does it automatically go into your AADSAS portal?

So if I'm not mistaken even if I submit my app the first day, they will wait for LORs, DAT, transcripts? Then they will verify and then technically my app is complete and then they send it out? So they send out your app when they have everything?

Likewise, it would be best for applicants to mail in transcripts a week or two before I hit the submit button to allow time for them to receive it and verify it or does that not matter?

I would wait. Send them the first day you can after you get the transcript and letter matching forms.

Good post. I applied 1st batch last cycle, this cycle Im most likely gonna be 5th or 6th (latest 7th) batch, Im going to submit after I get my grades for summer session 1.

Bump... I continue to see more questions about this. :)

I've seen this answered by doing a search, and illfavor touched on it, but it should probably be in this thread too.

What's the first batch hullabaloo regarding Texas schools and TMDSAS?

I've seen this answered by doing a search, and illfavor touched on it, but it should probably be in this thread too.

What's the first batch hullabaloo regarding Texas schools and TMDSAS?

Aha! I don't know. Someone else take this on. :)

plz newbies

read dis b4 posting

:D :D

Do LORs count as part of your secondary application? In other words, if you have everything else ready on your application except one or two LORs, will the primary application still be sent so that schools can start contacting you with their secondaries? Thanks!

Do LORs count as part of your secondary application? In other words, if you have everything else ready on your application except one or two LORs, will the primary application still be sent so that schools can start contacting you with their secondaries? Thanks!

For this question, read the AADSAS FAQs link in my signature. :)

"OMG IF I SUBMIT AT 9:35:04 PM ON JUNE 6TH AM I GOING TO BE IN THE FIRST BATCH?!"

"CAN I JUST TRY TO SUBMIT MY LETTERS/TRANSCRIPTS/ETC. EARLY?! I WANT TO BE IN THE FIRST BATCH!"

"IF I TAKE THE DAT ON JUNE 1ST AT 8 AM IN THE MORNING AND DON'T TAKE MY BREAK AFTER THE PAT SO I'M DONE WITH THE TEST BEFORE 12PM, WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO MAKE THE FIRST BATCH?!"

Sound familiar? :laugh: :p

Since these questions seem to pop up all the time, I thought it would be good to have one CENTRAL thread that includes all of the facts and myths surrounding the "first batch." That way, when someone posts about it, just link them here and the discussion can be over.

Disclaimer: The first part of this is clearly an exaggeration, and I'm only teasing. However, when you've been on SDN for a good deal of time and have lived through the application process yourself, you realize just how much people blow the glorified "first batch" out of proportion.

First of all, when is the first batch sent out?
The application cycle opens in the beginning of June, but the first batch isn't sent out until the end of June. Thus, if you are absolutely dead-set on having your app completed by the first batch, have everything submitted by the end of the second week in June.

If I have parts of my application missing by the end of June, am I still in the first batch?
Well, theoretically, I suppose so. But it generally doesn't mean jack squat. Most schools aren't going to look at your application until everything is complete, though I have heard of schools giving out interviews to people who were still missing recommendation letters (but don't ask me which ones). So, yeah, a part of your application will be in the first batch--but a school isn't going to look until the rest of your app is sent in. It would be more accurate to say that you were in whatever batch the updates are sent with.

Does it even matter if I am in the first batch?
In all honesty, no. It doesn't matter. I can personally attest to this. So long as you are early, the batch you are in doesn't really give you much of a competitive advantage. My unofficial estimate is that anyone in batches 1-6 is on equal footing. However, I'd still aim to get it all in by August 1st... if not for anything other than peace of mind. Mid-August is still okay, but not "ideal."

Should I rush my application in order to be in the first batch?
No. Just get it in early. If you are proactive and have everything ready ahead of time, then great! Submit and be in the first batch. But if you need a bit of extra time to make your application perfect, take it.

Won't schools look at my application sooner if I'm in the first batch?
No, not necessarily. Plenty of schools seem to take their sweet time with reviewing applications, and I'm almost certain that 2 of the schools I applied to looked at applications in a pretty dang random order. Don't sweat it if you're in an early batch and other people who are in early batches but applied in "later" early batches than you are getting interviews. This happened to me and I freaked out, but with my results on December 2nd, I don't think it was because there were any issues with my application--I just think the school didn't really prioritize applications when it came to reviewing them. Just be early and it's all the same. Plus, lots of schools don't even seem to start looking until August. That's just another reason to show the first batch, in itself, doesn't really matter that much.

How long does it take AADSAS to receive/verify all of my stuff?
It can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks for DAT scores to be uploaded.
It can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks for transcripts to be received. It usually takes another 2-3 weeks for your GPAs to be verified--and this doesn't happen until after you submit.
It takes AADSAS about 1-2 weeks to add letters from Interfolio to your application.

Can I send anything early?
No, just don't. First of all, it won't make a difference. Second of all, if it gets there before the cycle opens, who knows what AADSAS would do with it. (Actually, I do know--they'll probably throw it away.) Just wait until the first day. That way, you'll have the appropriate matching forms and whatnot.

So a summary: If you have all of your stuff ready and can be in the first batch, GREAT! If you need a little bit longer, GREAT! No difference. Apply within batches 1-6 and you are early enough. And let me reiterate--if you are dead set on being in the first batch, submit by the end of the second week in June.

Everyone else--please feel free to add anything else you can think of. Also, if any current applicants have questions, just post them here instead of making new threads--having a centralized source for this can really be useful in the long run. :)

Would applying for FAP and waiting for their decision (2 weeks min) delay your application process?

Would applying for FAP and waiting for their decision (2 weeks min) delay your application process?

Technically, yes. However, especially if you go ahead and submit everything ASAP, it won't make a difference. Just get the rest of your app materials ready as they're processing your request. You'll still be plenty early.

Basic rule of thumb is that if you haven't submitted and been verified by 5pm today, your likely not getting in this cycle. Just kidding. But seriously...

I hope that this is really all true because if so, you've really totally made my day:clap:...I thought that the fact that I still don't have my application submitted means that I've already SIGNIFICANTLY reduced my chances of getting into a dental school because I'm behind all the diligent students who had send in their app already :bucktooth:

Random question though...how did you figure out that batches 1 through 6 all get equal footing?

Oh, and also, since it takes time for GPA to be verified and this can take up to 3 weeks before the application is actually mailed out to the schools...to make it to the 6th batch in this cycle, we would have to e-submit by July 11th right?

Last edited:
Random question though...how did you figure out that batches 1 through 6 all get equal footing?

Oh, and also, since it takes time for GPA to be verified and this can take up to 3 weeks before the application is actually mailed out to the schools...to make it to the 6th batch in this cycle, we would have to e-submit by July 11th right?

1. It varies by school but for the most part, schools will begin sending out interviews August or September onward. You can take a look at last year's thread(s) to see for specific schools.

2. It likely won't take 3 weeks, probably closer to 1 week at this point.

@videlmegami

Yup, @sjv has you covered.

The "by the 6th batch" deadline is just purely speculation on my part. I've been around here for a while... ;)

I plan to submit my application the first week of September, which is when I plan to take the DAT. Is that too late?

I plan to submit my application the first week of September, which is when I plan to take the DAT. Is that too late?

It's definitely beyond batch 6...

So it's late, but not terribly late.

I'm a little confused.
When you say it takes 2-3 weeks for my GPA to be verified, and that's after I submit... does that mean my application won't be sent to schools until at least a couple of weeks after I submitted?
I am retaking my DAT on July 28th and am trying to figure out when I should submit to make sure everything gets sent and recieved at the same time. I don't want to risk schools seeing my application without my new score, like you suggested glimmer1991 :) When would you suggest I submit my application? I read somewhere else on the forums that applications are put together on Wednesdays/Thursdays and mailed out on Friday.

It's definitely beyond batch 6...

So it's late, but not terribly late.

How do you know batch 6 is considered early vs. 7? Just curious is all. I know for sure by mid-July it is still early according to the ADCOMs that I speak to at Rutgers.

How do you know batch 6 is considered early vs. 7? Just curious is all. I know for sure by mid-July it is still early according to the ADCOMs that I speak to at Rutgers.

The short answer? I don't! ;)

Oh, and definitely... Mid-July would be batch 2/3/4, depending on the year. Of course it's early! :)

"Early," in its very essence, is a loose term. There are clearly no defined cutoffs by the schools about "early," "good enough," and "late" applications. I said a few posts up that it's just speculation from what I've seen over the years. I've been around here for a few cycles.

Especially with a stellar application, you don't HAVE to be "early." However, a lot of schools suggest being "early," even though they (unfortunately) don't say exactly what this means. It certainly can't hurt to get everything in soon after batches start mailing out. And since the "AM I EARLY?!?!" question is asked so dang often on SDN, it is just easier to give a solid batch number to people so they can compare. I'd say 6 is a pretty fair estimate. You can obviously submit later and still have much success during the cycle--but your application isn't really "early."

They sent out the 1st batch a week earlier than expected this year. However, the general guideline for early apps seems to be to submit everything by August. Batch 6 generally guarantees an early August submission. This year, especially since things were sent out early, even 7 or 8 basically puts you there. Once again, being early is just a loose term. :)

Since the first batch isn't sent out until after the application has been open for (roughly) a month, submitting by batch 6 really means you have about 10 weeks to get the whole application finished. 10 weeks is plenty of time--not only to get everything filled out on AADSAS, but also to even study for and take the DAT. :D (Of course, that's assuming you start studying for the DAT on the first day the application opens... Most people get out of school in Mid-May and start studying then, though, which just adds even more time for DAT prep.)

Batch 6 is just a good timeframe to aim for, at least in my opinion! There is definitely a way to plan and have everything done by early August. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Awesome reply :) Giving people a batch number to go off of is really smart. All I hope is that I land at least one interview, just like the rest this cycle. :luck:

Your GPA won't be calculated until after you submit. Therefore, it would benefit you to submit sooner rather than later so AADSAS can begin the process for calculating your GPA.