The floss with the handel compared to normal floss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexamasan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, what is the floss with the plastic handles properly called? (the ones that usually come in bags of 100 or so).

Secondly, are they are as affective as using normal floss? One of my dentists said they aren't as affective and perhaps that's because you can't make as good as a "C" shape around the tooth, but what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think at the office I was at we just called them flossers.

The most effective type/brand is the one the patient actually uses. For me, that is the one with the handle.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not as effective as regular floss but it's better than not using anything. You can't make a good C curve around the tooth, as you suggested, but you're also reusing the same 1" piece of floss on every tooth. With regular floss, you're supposed to move to a fresh section every couple teeth, but unless you plan to use 10 flossers, you're not going to be doing that with anything but regular floss.

any hygienist will tell u that normal floss is far and away better. It gets where the handled floss can't. that being said, handled floss is MUCH better then no floss. If your the kind of person that flosses on their way to work, handle floss might be for you

I can only use the handle flossers cause I can't fit my big fingers in my mouth to reach the molars :rolleyes:

I actually used to floss only the pre-molars and incisors before, then I went to my sister (DSS) for my normal check up and she laid the @ss whooping on me about not doing the molars.... she actually was the one who suggested the handle floss sticks and I've been using them ever since