Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You make some valid points here. I do the numbing, the procedure. I give them a handout which I personally review with them. I spent plenty of time with them, shut off my brain, talked to them, developed rapport. They leave happy knowing they received the care they need and if they have concerns they can follow up and be seen immediately. I can't remember one time in my career where someone complained about feeling rushed after an ingrown or they were dumped without appropriate care.Exactly. Perfect approach.
You will lose patients if you prn too many (and I'm saying this as someone on a waitlist... so I prn as many as I reasonably can).
They will typically be lost to the competition, which is a bad look if that gets back to the PCP that Dr. Feli gave them an inject and an insole and prn... but Dr Attack took his time, Rx for PT, and they got better.
It is always much better to make a f/u appointment and tell them they can cancel if they are doing fine ("but please give us as much notice as you can so that we can give that spot to someone else"). This is as much about reading the patient as it is just the foot issue/progress. You have to put yourself into the mind of the person whose foot (or their kid's or spouse's or parent's or etc foot) was just injected, procedure was done, and they are leaving with wound instruction and a numb swollen toe.
Basically, in PP (or any office you want to grow), let them prn you.
I frequently put "3mo or PRN" or stuff like that on my f/u note to my desk, and they know to see what the pt would prefer or use their intuition when they mention "as needed." Some prefer that; many do not.
For ingrowns, I would say 90% of matrix 2wk f/u show for that visit... maybe 60% of avulsions (but again, I barely do those). Most who do not show cancelled when they got the reminder, and for the very few no-shows, it was a double book anyways.