The Future of Neurology - Neuroimaging? Endovascular interventions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know where neurology is moving? Neuroimaging? Endovascular interventions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The future seems to be the separation of inpatient neurology from traditional neurology practices. We should expect more opportunities for neurohospitalists and neurointensivists as more and more general neurologists want none of the inpatient experience or the liability.

Some neurologists do neuroimaging and interventional procedures but those opportunities are rare.

The future seems to be the separation of inpatient neurology from traditional neurology practices. We should expect more opportunities for neurohospitalists and neurointensivists as more and more general neurologists want none of the inpatient experience or the liability.

Some neurologists do neuroimaging and interventional procedures but those opportunities are rare.

If I wanted to do interventional neuro. procedures, do you think it is best to undergo a radiology or neurology residency? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I wanted to do interventional neuro. procedures, do you think it is best to undergo a radiology or neurology residency? Thank you.
Just my opinion, but if you're legitimately interested in NIR procedures you should consider neurosurgery. There are plenty of programs that will provide ample training time in this field if you want.

Just my opinion, but if you're legitimately interested in NIR procedures you should consider neurosurgery. There are plenty of programs that will provide ample training time in this field if you want.

If my goal is to be a full-time neuro-interventionalist, what is the easiest/best pathway? The NIR fellowship is 2 years, correct? Are more and more accepting neurologists? Is it very competitive?

It is still competitive but has improved drastically and continues to do so. Currently quiet a few neurologists in training. But now neurologists also have a voice with more and more clinical trials in stroke, carotid stenosis and intracranial stenosis. And now clinical trials have begun in Brazil, UK, Spain and a few other nations in intraarterial delivery of stem cells in ICA/MCA infarcts. Hopefully it will initiate in the US as well. Look at clinicaltrials.gov
This is the best time for neurology origin interventionalists to enter the field.
Neurosurgery will also provide interventionalists, but they would also be extremely occupied with the OR schedule. If you read my previous posts, nsurg also has several emerging subspecialities. In the evolving healthcare scene, there are 'neurosciences centers' as at some major centers, where there are neurointerventionalists from the 3 specialities (nrad, nsurg, stroke/NICU) that share endovasc work and calls and also practice their original speciality. In reality there is and will continue to be a lot of work with more innovations in ESN. Nanotechnology is also perceived as the next frontier in intervention.

Please do a search for related threads as this subject has been beaten to death timelessly.