the golden list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

it.

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after much work and deliberation, i think i'm finally done making my list of schools i'll apply to. overall, as an applicant, i'm rather unsure of myself, so i tried to make as varied a list as possible, and i ended up with a rather large list of schools. ya think i succeeded?

stanford
ucla
ucsf
northwestern
UofChicago, pritzker
johns hopkins
harvard
mayo
columbia
case western
u penn
university of pittsburgh
usc, keck
uc davis
uci
ucsd
boston university
tufts
dartmouth
einstein
mount sinai
NYU
U of Rochester
georgetown
university of miami
university of illinois at chicago
university of iowa
saint louis university
NYMC
wake forest
drexel
jefferson
temple
u of vermont

i know it's a lot of schools (34), but i'm :scared:. is my list varied enough to cover all bases? is it too much? i really want to make sure i get accepted this upcoming cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on your MCAT/GPA. It's hard to tell if you're aiming too high or low without this information. Are you a CA resident?

UCLAstudent said:
It really depends on your MCAT/GPA. It's hard to tell if you're aiming too high or low without this information. Are you a CA resident?

I agree with UCLAstudent. Your list is only as good/average/bad as your stats. If you have a 22 MCAT with a 2.5 GPA, it really doesn't matter how varied your list might be--your chances would be nil. If you have a 39 MCAT and a 3.8 and tons of ECs, then you are definitely applying to too many schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
curiouslygeorge said:
I agree with UCLAstudent. Your list is only as good/average/bad as your stats. If you have a 22 MCAT with a 2.5 GPA, it really doesn't matter how varied your list might be--your chances would be nil. If you have a 39 MCAT and a 3.8 and tons of ECs, then you are definitely applying to too many schools.

i'm a cali resident. didn't wanna post my stats, but ~3.6 or 3.7 and 8V,13P,11B. quite worried bout my verbal score.

it. said:
i'm a cali resident. didn't wanna post my stats, but ~3.6 or 3.7 and 8V,13P,11B. quite worried bout my verbal score.

Your stats are solid. If you have the research/experience to match, I would say that your list should pan out nicely for you. Keep in mind that to apply to that many schools and to get maybe 10 interviews would be doing very well. The verbal might be a problem at some schools, but not at others. Maybe do a search on verbal scores at mdapplicants.com to see which schools don't factor that in as much. I don't think it would be that big of a deal, really. If anything, you might want to trim down by a few schools. Maybe some Cali people can suggest which ones on your list are California-friendly or not. (Sorry, but I can't help you there.) Good luck. :luck:

It looks like you are using the shotgun top ~40 method. I plan to use that method this time around, so I can't say whether it's a good one or a bad one.

One piece of advice, though: don't cut it down to the top 15 or 20 or so schools, because that is risky. I applied MSTP, got two interviews and a waitlist, but no acceptances. If you cut down, do so proportionately accross the ranks.

You might think about adding Tulane and UNLV (I know someone from Cali with lower stats than you that got into UNLV). And unless you have a great deal of research experience, I would drop UCSF. Let me tell you that this is one giant crapshoot. I applied to 12 schools and interviewed at a top tier school, a middle tier and a lower tier. I got WL'ed at all 3 and just got offered a spot at Wake. If you had told me that I would be going to school in NC last year I would have told you that you were nuts. Good luck and may you not be stuck on waitlists.

Another thing to consider--it's much harder to get into state schools if you're not in-state, although there is some variability. Because the state schools receive considerable money from their state, they are usually required to accept significantly higher percentages of their own residents. At UIC (from last year's MSAR), out of the 3,000 out-of-state applicants, 289 received interviews (~9.6%), but out of 1,478 in-state applicants, 623 received interviews. Iowa is a little better--it interviews ~15% of its out-of-state applicants. Vermont interviews ~10% of its out-of-state applicants. If you are out-of-state but can demonstrate "strong ties" to the state, you may be given additional consideration. Also, the criteria for selecting out-of-state students may be different from the in-state students (usually higher MCAT scores & GPA than the averages for the school), since you're competing for fewer spots. For Iowa, the MSAR says "consideration is also given to outstanding nonresidents" and UIC says that their adcom "gives strong preference to candidates who are Illinois residents."

If you're trying to narrow your list of schools a bit, perhaps you should consider focusing on schools that don't have such strong in-state selection factors. Or consider replacing some of those schools with private schools that don't select on the basis of state residency--Case Western, AE, Jefferson, and Temple also have some preference for in-state residents, though it's not as strong as state schools. Good luck!! :luck:

I don't think the OP should drop UCSF. It's one of his state schools, so it's definitely worth a shot. I interviewed there with similar stats and only had a little research, mostly clinical. My friend got in last year with a lower MCAT and no research. You just never know what schools are looking for.

OP, I think you are applying to too many schools. I'd remove 1-2 top schools, 1-2 middle schools, and 1-2 low-end schools. If you're willing to shell out the extra money and time to apply to this many schools, then go for it. Your list seems well-rounded given your stats.

Well if money and time (as in the time you spend filling out secondaries, writing essays and going to interviews) is not an issue for you, then I would keep your list I suppose. However, IMO, applying to more than 20 schools when you don't have any red flags is a little unnecessary.

Is this really the number of schools people are applying to?!? Maybe I should expand my own list. How many schools do you think I should be sending my application to with stats: GPA=3.8 (from a state school), MCAT=~34, hospital+research experience including 2 publications? I heard 15... But I'm getting freaked out my stories of qualified applicants who aren't getting any acceptances.

SeattlePostBach, is your list relatively balanced? Your stats are really good, but if you're only applying to top schools, you might want to consider adding a few low-end schools, just in case. If your list is pretty balanced, then I think 15 schools will suffice. :D Good luck.

SeattlePostBach said:
Is this really the number of schools people are applying to?!? Maybe I should expand my own list. How many schools do you think I should be sending my application to with stats: GPA=3.8 (from a state school), MCAT=~34, hospital+research experience including 2 publications? I heard 15... But I'm getting freaked out my stories of qualified applicants who aren't getting any acceptances.

No way, thats definitely the right number of schools to apply to... good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
OP-

Too many schools unless time and money is NO concern. You may be surprised as to how many schools ask you for interviews, and you could easily spend thousands if you follow through on everything. Can you honestly see yourself spending 4 years in each of the locations you mentioned? If you're not a snow bunny, Mayo in MN is gonna be somewhat unsettling.

Moreover, at the risk of turning this into an AA brawl, your...ummm..."background" may have something to do with how the CA schools look at your application.

Seattle- your stats are way above average. I think 15 is a high-good number...if you are just picking name schools, you may wanna decrease the number of schools to places that you can see yourself at. I would also begin looking at which schools might have scholarships for folks with a good set up like yours...

Good luck to all...

dc

The money for the application fees is minimal compared to the interview cost. I plan to apply pretty broadly to places I might like to live...no extremes. Then depending on the number of interviews I get and possible early acceptance will dictate how many interviews I go on. Anyone else using this strategy or find huge flaws in it?

BrettBatchelor said:
The money for the application fees is minimal compared to the interview cost. I plan to apply pretty broadly to places I might like to live...no extremes. Then depending on the number of interviews I get and possible early acceptance will dictate how many interviews I go on. Anyone else using this strategy or find huge flaws in it?

That's exactly what I'm doing... I also try to choose some reach/out of state schools based upon whether they give secondaries to everybody or not

Here's my list for what it's worth:

Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Drexel University College of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Michigan State University
New York Medical College
Northwestern University
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. .
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell University

amand0r said:
That's exactly what I'm doing... I also try to choose some reach/out of state schools based upon whether they give secondaries to everybody or not

Here's my list for what it's worth:

Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Drexel University College of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Michigan State University
New York Medical College
Northwestern University
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. .
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell University

I think your list looks good. have you considered any of the Chicago or Illinois schools like Loyola or Pritzker or Rush???

gujuDoc said:
I think your list looks good. have you considered any of the Chicago or Illinois schools like Loyola or Pritzker or Rush???

well, I'm not into religious schools so I didn't think I would apply to Loyola, and Rush doesn't seem to accept many out of state. I did have pritzker on my list, but they seem to push the summer research pretty heavily, and while I think I may want to do some clinical research, I don't want to be forced to, or feel out of place if I don't.

amand0r said:
well, I'm not into religious schools so I didn't think I would apply to Loyola, and Rush doesn't seem to accept many out of state. I did have pritzker on my list, but they seem to push the summer research pretty heavily, and while I think I may want to do some clinical research, I don't want to be forced to, or feel out of place if I don't.

Oh ok. Well your list looks good for your profile.

thanks for the input guys

apply to as many schools as you can without imposing an insurmountable financial burden on yourself or detracting from your ability to complete each secondary / interview to your fullest ability. the process IS a complete crapshoot, and as a CA resident with solid but not stellar numbers you should throw out as many lines as you can.

Z

it. said:
i know it's a lot of schools (34), but i'm :scared:. is my list varied enough to cover all bases? is it too much? i really want to make sure i get accepted this upcoming cycle.
the University of Miami is very hard to get in to if you are from out of state. Your stats are definitely good enough, but it may be an uphill battle if you're from Cali, Texas, etc. If money is no object, then apply. If you need to cut back somewhere and you don't think that you would "die" if you didn't get in, then I would eliminate UM.

Zephyrus said:
the process IS a complete crapshoot

I am always amused when people say that. It's not really a complete crapshoot, it's just a little random sometimes. (I am also amused when people who haven't applied yet are giving out advice about this stuff. Your viewpoint does change after going through it.)

If you have the complete package, you will get into a school. This package includes:

1. GPA > 3.5
2. MCAT > 30
3. Some clinical experience, volunteer work, and/or research - preferably at least two of the three, and best to have all three
4. A good set of EC's, LOR's, and a good PS
5. A nice personality and ability to interview well
6. Willingness to apply to a broad range of schools

Show me the applicant who has all of this and didn't get in ANYWHERE, and I will concede that this process is a total crapshoot. Until then, I believe that it is merely somewhat random. Sure, we have all heard stories about people with amazing stats who don't get in, but did they apply to a broad range of schools? Do they have clinical experience? What about their personalities?

We also know that sometimes people with less-than-stellar stats get into great schools sometimes, but what's their backstory? Are they special applicants with extraordinary backgrounds?

I have good - not great - stats. I got into some top schools, some middle schools, and some bottom schools. I also got rejected from schools in each of these categories, too. So yes, there is no formula, and no, each school isn't looking for the same thing. But with a good app and good strategy for choosing schools, you will get in. :)

criminallyinane said:
If you have the complete package, you will get into a school. This package includes:

1. GPA > 3.5
2. MCAT > 30
3. Some clinical experience, volunteer work, and/or research - preferably at least two of the three, and best to have all three
4. A good set of EC's, LOR's, and a good PS
5. A nice personality and ability to interview well
6. Willingness to apply to a broad range of schools

Show me the applicant who has all of this and didn't get in ANYWHERE, and I will concede that this process is a total crapshoot. Until then, I believe that it is merely somewhat random. Sure, we have all heard stories about people with amazing stats who don't get in, but did they apply to a broad range of schools? Do they have clinical experience? What about their personalities?

Perhaps this is true, but you need ALL of the things in the list. I sometimes point out somebody I know who had all of the above (3.6/36) except the ability to interview well and didn't get in anywhere the first time around. I do agree with your list, but I just want to confirm that you really need all of the above, not just almost all.

nockamura said:
You might think about adding Tulane and UNLV (I know someone from Cali with lower stats than you that got into UNLV). And unless you have a great deal of research experience, I would drop UCSF. Let me tell you that this is one giant crapshoot. I applied to 12 schools and interviewed at a top tier school, a middle tier and a lower tier. I got WL'ed at all 3 and just got offered a spot at Wake. If you had told me that I would be going to school in NC last year I would have told you that you were nuts. Good luck and may you not be stuck on waitlists.

UNLV does not have a medical school. UNR does....but they only take instate students (with a very small # of acceptions for certain inter mountain students).

tigress said:
Perhaps this is true, but you need ALL of the things in the list. I sometimes point out somebody I know who had all of the above (3.6/36) except the ability to interview well and didn't get in anywhere the first time around. I do agree with your list, but I just want to confirm that you really need all of the above, not just almost all.

I totally agree. There are people with 4.0/40+ stats who don't get in anywhere right off the bat, and that proves that it's not just numbers or intelligence. There are many factors. But with a combo of all of the above, it is almost impossible to imagine one getting rejected across the board. Likewise, even with a few of those missing, it is totally possible to get into excellent schools. Med school admissions is less of a mystery than people like to make it out to be. :)