"Golden Opportunity" for EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlioblastomaM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all!

So, I volunteer at a hospital (typical), and I went to this class that my coordinator recommended while we were scheduling with her—and unbeknownst to me, actual healthcare professionals, including the manager of all of the volunteers. I start talking to the latter, and she starts getting to know me, and suggests I meet with her for a patient support assistant position.

Job description says I will assist clinicians with direct and indirect patient care—up to and including baths, feeding, and bathroom problems (someone's gotta do it, right?). I currently discharge and am in the process of starting in the ED.

The manager told me this is a great opportunity, but she also works for the hospital and might be selling me the position because I'm driven and not just there for a paycheck. I'm worried about not having enough volunteer hours by the time I matriculate (AU20) if I take this job—I already have had another part time job for almost 3 years with thousands of non-clinical hours. Enough rambling, question time:

1. Is this position what she's making it out to be; or, should I just volunteer my butt off (currently doing that)?
  2. How do you see this position helping me? Hurting me?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think this position would hurt you, but I would have a hard time being excited (in an interview) talking about cleaning up excrement and bathing people.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont think this position would hurt you, but I would have a hard time being excited (in an interview) talking about cleaning up excrement and bathing people.
You and I relax very differently.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, all!

So, I volunteer at a hospital (typical), and I went to this class that my coordinator recommended while we were scheduling with her—and unbeknownst to me, actual healthcare professionals, including the manager of all of the volunteers. I start talking to the latter, and she starts getting to know me, and suggests I meet with her for a patient support assistant position.

Job description says I will assist clinicians with direct and indirect patient care—up to and including baths, feeding, and bathroom problems (someone's gotta do it, right?). I currently discharge and am in the process of starting in the ED.

The manager told me this is a great opportunity, but she also works for the hospital and might be selling me the position because I'm driven and not just there for a paycheck. I'm worried about not having enough volunteer hours by the time I matriculate (AU20) if I take this job—I already have had another part time job for almost 3 years with thousands of non-clinical hours. Enough rambling, question time:

1. Is this position what she's making it out to be; or, should I just volunteer my butt off (currently doing that)?
  2. How do you see this position helping me? Hurting me?

Thanks so much!

I've had a similar experience, got a job as a patient care tech right after high school after unknowingly talking to the director of an oncology department. The clinical experience is great, yeah it comes with some downside (cleaning, bathing, assisting patients to a bathroom etc.) But it's literally the best clinical experience you can get I don't get all that excited to clean up excrement but remember you'll be a better doctor in the future since you'll have seen it ALL! And when you do become a doctor you'll realize how the CNA's and RN's play a role in a patients life. - This is what one of the doctors that was a CNA at the same hospital told me. He is now a general surgeon.

Reactions: 2 users
I think everyone else will about cover it. I personally don't see how it could hurt you really so long as you've already racked up a good amount of volunteering hours.

Of note, this story of how you actually came to be offered the position and how your volunteer work actually transitioned in to a job could be helpful particularly during interviews. It could start a conversation about your dedication towards patient care and be actual "tangible" proof that could be powerful for schools that really value community service. But i'm also cautious because you're currently working another job as well. Obviously i'm uncertain about your other obligations, but I personally wouldn't let a job like this interfere with the bigger factors for medical school admissions (MCAT, GPA, Research, etc)

To be clear this is a paid job? Can never tell with these raw deals millienials are given for "experience." If so this will be great clinical experience that will be more important than getting X amount of volunteer hours, ADCOMs will know you actually worked with patients instead of "volunteered" with/near patients. I did a similar job and it definitely helped come application time.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm excited to talk about it because although the job might be menial to some, it's important to the patient when they're confined to a bed and I'm in a position to provide good/thoughtful care. Imagine your grandma laying in a bed with her own excrement and eventually getting an infection and many painful bed ulcers. I rather have the excited nurse tech/pca/pct come in and do a good job than the body that shows up to get the job over with.

It drives me nuts hearing complaints about doing your god damn job. It's not like a patient wants to **** himself/herself or wants to trip over the IV pole getting to the restroom.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm excited to talk about it because although the job might be menial to some, it's important to the patient when they're confined to a bed and I'm in a position to provide good/thoughtful care. Imagine your grandma laying in a bed with her own excrement and eventually getting an infection and many painful bed ulcers. I rather have the excited nurse tech/pca/pct come in and do a good job than the body that shows up to get the job over with.

It drives me nuts hearing complaints about doing your god damn job. It's not like a patient wants to **** himself/herself or wants to trip over the IV pole getting to the restroom.
Then you should do it

Take the job. If you can do this job well, that will be strong evidence that medicine is your calling. And AdCom members will know what a patient care tech does, and respect you for it -- assuming you last more than a few months.

As had been said, a caring and competent care tech makes a huge difference to patients, so while 'menial', the job is of great importance.

Then you should do it

I have done it. Sorry if I sound ranty, no bad intentions to you. To help OP, it's going to be a hard job and you might be underappreciated at times, but your job will be a very important one. Personally, I would take this job to get exposure.