The good, the bad, the ugly about pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeek

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To Pritzker students,
Can you give insight on Pritzker?

Members don't see this ad.

I've only ever seen one pritzker student around these parts, an MS4 and she/he was looking for some specific info for a book he/she was putting together. so I'm not sure if you'll get much interest.

I may be as close as you can get, I'll be an MS1 at pritzker this fall. if you wanna shoot out some more specific ?s I'll be happy to tackle em for you.

I have been accepted to Pritzker. If I choose to, I will also be MS1 next year. Before I decide I want to know everything I can about the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol i knew coop would pull through! :)

coop probably knows more than me but here's my perspective. (i'll be an MS1 there this fall too)

the curriculum is a bit too traditional for me.
but they seem to really encourage flexibility in that many students take time off to research or pursue double degrees, etc. which to me is important and cool.

the environment seems REALLY supportive and wonderful. every single student and graduate of Pritzker i've spoken to has been incredibly helpful and nice and friendly. the administration as well.

plus i'm really excited about Chicago, the city. :)

I work on campus right now and have several friends who are various ms's. I can tell you about the university and campus if ya wanna know.

The best place to find an apt is here:

<a href="http://www.chireader.com" target="_blank">http://www.chireader.com</a>

speaking of good, bad and ugly, winter is as miserable as the parking in hyde park but summer in the city is incredible!! You won't be without things to do if you so choose and the students are very nice people and many very cute.

Hi folks!

I'm the 4th year at Pritzker mentioned in an earlier post. Feel free to post questions or email me directly at [email protected]. I'll try to respond as fast as I can.

Good luck!

Brian

p.s. don't you need to decide by wednesday?

I do need to decide by Wednesday. Here are my specific questions:

How are the professors? Do they teach well or are more interested in their research?

How are the med students treated at the Hospital?
How is the teaching at Hospital?

At the end of 4 years, are you fully prepared for the residency?

How many students get into top surgical residencies?

How is the support for the Alumni?

I recall that one of the resident was killed during while walking back from the Hospital. Is it safe to live in Hyde park?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by zeek:
•How many students get into top surgical residencies?•••••i saw their matchlist for 2001 (i think) and it was REALLY impressive. i think coop can send it to you.

•••quote:••••
I recall that one of the resident was killed during while walking back from the Hospital. Is it safe to live in Hyde park? •••••WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?
now you're freaking me out.
what happened?!?!?

I did not mean to freak you out, but I think this incident happened five or six years ago. Before you run wild with this, please try to get independant confirmation of this. The last thing I want to do is spread rumers.

I did not mean to freak you out, but I think this incident happened five or six years ago. Before you run wild with this, please try to get independant confirmation of this. The last thing I want to do is spread rumers.

are you sure that it wasn't UIC. A med student was murdered there several years ago.

Actually, I am not sure. That is why I want independent confirmation.

hey zeek, I know the decision time is rapidly approaching:

How are the professors? Do they teach well or are more interested in their research?
-This is the closest I got to a negative about the place. That all are great clinicians/reserchers, but there is the full range, from great to go-back-to-the-lab-please. However, when I further pressed this issue students told me that even those who weren't great in lecture context were great at explaining things one-on-one and all the faculty are very concerned with MS education and are open to meeting with students, schedulling extra review sessions, and things of that sort.

How are the med students treated at the Hospital?
How is the teaching at Hospital?
-definately a strength of pritzker. The school's philosophy is to treat students as colleagues throughout the learning process. They symbolize this with the long white coats pritzker students are given (instead of the usual half length MS coats). All the 4th years I talked to praised their clinical faculty and residents for following thru with this philosophy. Students are placed in the clinical settings most pertinent to learning, as opposed to the traditional role of MSs as doing all the crap and scutwork jobs. They also talk about giving added responsibliity to med students to facilitate this learning. The emphasis which this school places on this issue was one of the main points which attracted me to priztker.

At the end of 4 years, are you fully prepared for the residency?
I think the matchlist speaks for itself. It shows that many of the top residency programs in the top hospitals in the country have confidence in the pritzker education. Also the MS4s I spoke with all felt like they had a lot of confidence in themselves because they are given that added responsibility compared to their peers. They say some residents feel they are pampered or given too much responsibility (because the residents' were not given the same from their medical school). Also many said that on away rotations during 4th year they were expecting to play a much more crutial role in pt care than was given to MSs at that other school.

How many students get into top surgical residencies?
gen surg matches from last year were:
Stamford Hosp/Columbia U
Med Col Wisc
Brigham and Womens

there were also 9 ortho matches, 4 uro, 2 neurosurg....

if you do want the matchlist, send me an email at [email protected] so I can email it to you.

How is the support for the Alumni?
-I don't really know...... I'm not sure what you mean precisely.

I recall that one of the resident was killed during while walking back from the Hospital. Is it safe to live in Hyde park?
-On my interview visit and second look I found most of the stuff thats said about hyde park to be a gross exaggeration. I think it'll be a very interesting, diverse place to live. It's a city, but it did not seem to be a particularly dangerous part. (at least the immediate campus area plus about 6-8 blocks north, and east to the water all seemed pretty nice).

good luck with the decision, hopefully I'll meet you this fall!

coop,

Thanks a lot for your response. This was exactly what I was looking for. Regarding the alumni question, what I meant was, does the school and alumni support you through-out your career? I know Harvard's alumni support is fantastic. They help you evaluate your residency/job offers. Help plan your medical practice. Generally they look out for each other. Does Pritzker have that school spirit?

Thanks,
Zeek

coop,

Thanks a lot for your response. This was exactly what I was looking for. Regarding the alumni question, what I meant was, does the school and alumni support you through-out your career? I know Harvard's alumni support is fantastic. They help you evaluate your residency/job offers. Help plan your medical practice. Generally they look out for each other. Does Pritzker have that school spirit?

Thanks,
Zeek

zeek,
I've heard the advising for residency decisions is good, but I never explored the 'alumni network' part of your question, so I don't know the answer,.... anyone?

coop,

Based on everything I have heard from you and others and from my own observations, I have decided to accept Pritzker and reject others.
I would like to thank you in person, if we both end up matriculating at Pritzker.
Again, thanks for your help.

Zeek

congrats on making a decision, see you this fall!
email me [email protected] if you wanna chat about the school

lol that exchange brought a smile to my face.
you guys are cool.

see you in the Fall!!