the "have you heard back from ____ about your away rotation yet?" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Aphasic. I got the "You will receive an email from HMS once the scheduling process has begun for the first month for which you have applied" message (around two weeks back) nothing more. Applied for august. Should I freak out? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Heard back last week from UCLA for OTO. Will be there in September.

I'm a bit confused as to why everyone has applied to (and heard back from) UCLA so early... Their website states, "Availability of electives for our next academic year (July 2010 - May 2011) will not be known until mid-June, and no spots are given to visiting medical students until this time," which is why I only put in my application last week. Is there something I'm totally missing here?

I'm a bit confused as to why everyone has applied to (and heard back from) UCLA so early... Their website states, "Availability of electives for our next academic year (July 2010 - May 2011) will not be known until mid-June, and no spots are given to visiting medical students until this time," which is why I only put in my application last week. Is there something I'm totally missing here?

Well, they may not necessarily let people know the verdict - but that doesn't mean they haven't evaluated the apps. Usually apps are looked at on a first come - first served basis... meaning you should turn them in ASAP.

Some departments may have just moved along faster than others. Maybe they put a later date so as to not get hundreds of emails from applicants about why they havent heard back. It's kinda like meteorologists: Its better to say there is a 20% chance of rain and it remain sunny, than say no chance of rain and here comes a huge ***** thunderstorm that ruins your BBQ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good news - I have a place to rotate next month! Woot! Hope they like me!

Last edited:
Good news - I have a place to rotate next month! Woot! Hope they like me!
Editing out the name of the place that offered you the spot kind of defeats the purpose of this thread...

Wow I'm really freaking out now... UCSF (applied 4/15), HMS (applied 3/17), Emory (applied 5/1), UCLA (applied 5/4).

Anyone heard from any of these schools?
Nope, applied to Emory in April for a Sept elective... no word yet :-/

Heard from Hopkins and MUSC last month for OTO...both invites.

I heard from OHSU for a October rotation today :) They started processing on June 1st so I was pleasantly surprised!

Editing out the name of the place that offered you the spot kind of defeats the purpose of this thread...

Tehe, sorry.

I'll be at Emory this upcoming block! I just heard back from them last week and I start in two weeks, so there is still hope for those who are waiting!

Tehe, sorry.

I'll be at Emory this upcoming block! I just heard back from them last week and I start in two weeks, so there is still hope for those who are waiting!
Wow, that's late notice. Which specialty?

I heard Emory is processing applications as of June 1st. Anyone have info on what Departments are already saying "yes" on VSAS? How competitive do you have to be to be "called" to rotate there?

@Aphasic. I got the "You will receive an email from HMS once the scheduling process has begun for the first month for which you have applied" message (around two weeks back) nothing more. Applied for august. Should I freak out? :confused:

Not at all, from what i heard you usually hear something from them 4-6wk before the start of the rotation. That window hasn't even started yet.

I'll be doing an EM rotation there. I'm not sure how competitive it is but they're on the same schedule as my home institution so I'm glad it worked out. I don't know much about the program...I guess I should look that up before I head there.

I heard back from UNC about EM rotation in October a few weeks ago.

Just heard from Geisinger by email - rejected for a rotation, EM. So, yeah, I guess they're starting to send out acceptance/rejection emails :annoyed:

heard back from uci last week.